From the Back Cover
The Easy, Visual Guide to IBM DB2 V8.2
IBM DB2 Universal Database™ V8.2 for Linux®, UNIX®, and Windows® is a flexible, scalable, cost-effective, and easy-to-use enterprise database. Now, one book makes DB2 even easier. Understanding DB2 teaches DB2 V8.2 visually, step by step, with dozens of examples and case studies drawn from the authors' unsurpassed experience as DB2 consultants at IBM.
Understanding DB2 doesn't just present the big picture. It thoroughly introduces every DB2 concept, procedure, and tool you'll need to get results as an administrator, user, or developer. You'll find authoritative coverage of installation, configuration, objects, database instances, storage, connectivity, security, performance, backup and recovery, SQL fundamentals, and much more. Virtually every new concept is explained with screenshots, diagrams, or tables, all designed to help you learn faster and remember more.
For those preparing for certification, this book also contains over a hundred sample questions crafted by the authors to reflect the content and format of the IBM DB2 UDB Database Administration Certification exams, with answers and detailed explanations.
- Understanding the DB2 product family, DB2 commands, and the DB2 environment
- Configuring client and server connectivity: walkthroughs of four typical scenarios
- Managing DB2 storage: partitions, tablespaces, buffer pools, and more
- Leveraging the power of SQL: queries, inserts, deletes, and updates
- Implementing security: encryption, authentication, and authorization
- Administering and maintaining data, from LOAD and EXPORT to backup/recovery
- Providing high availability with online split mirroring and suspended I/O
- DB2 architecture: process and memory models
- Managing database performance and troubleshooting
About the Author
Raul F. Chong is a DB2 information developer with the Application Development Solutions team at the IBM Toronto Lab. He is responsible for developing sample programs and DB2 documentation for Web Services and CLI.
Clara Liu is a database consultant at the IBM Toronto Lab. She works with a variety of IBM partners and customers on projects utilizing DB2 Universal Database.
Sylvia F. Qi has worked with DB2 UDB as a DB2 service analyst for IBM since 1999. A contributing author to IBM developerWorks®, she has in-depth knowledge of the DB2 engine, connectivity, and administration.
Dwaine R. Snow is a senior product manager for DB2 UDB for Linux, UNIX, and Windows. He has worked with DB2 UDB for the past fourteen years as part of the development team focusing on the database engine and tools, and the development of the DB2 Certification program.