5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview of food allergies
Published on January 6, 2007 by C. Matte

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book
Didn't read it cover to cover, only the parts I needed. Luckily my child grew out of her cows milk allergy!
Published 20 months ago by luki's mommy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview of food allergies, January 6, 2007
This review is from: Understanding and Managing Your Child's Food Allergies (A Johns Hopkins Press Health Book) (Paperback)
My 14 month old was just diagnosed with some potentially life-threatening food allergies and I felt like I couldn't easily get the information/support I wanted. This book has helped me become more informed and feed more prepared. He begins by explaining what causes an allergic reaction and then goes on to explain diagnosing allergies, treatment options, recognizing an allergic reaction (and the severity), and also includes a section on the long-term emotional/social implications of food allergies. There is a section that lists various allergens in foods, how likely it is that a child will outgrow them, and how common they are. He includes a ton of real-life case-studies, which not only help to clarify his point, but reminded me that I'm not the only one feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and sad about my child's allergies. While there is no replacement for the allergist who knows your child and their history, this book filled in a lot of blanks in questions I didn't even know I wanted to ask! I will pass this on to family members who are interested in learning more and highly recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutlely the best book on Food Allergies around!!!, May 27, 2007
Mom (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
We have been managing my child's food allergies for the past 5 years - I have read many, many books on the subject. This one is the absolute best! As much as I understood about food allergies, I still had many questions. This book has helped to clear up most of them. Many of the books on food allergy create a sense of panic, especially when you are new to the situation. The information in this book takes some of the anxiety out of everyday life - our children can have normal, healthy, fun-filled lives!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great info, April 10, 2007
As a seasoned mom, but a new one to the food allergy world, this book provides a lot of technical info all in one source. If you want to understand why our bodies react to certain foods and how to proceed, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, September 15, 2008
I am a physician and I can assure you, this is the best book out there to get clear prospective and understanding about food allergies.
Each chapter has clear focus, breadth of knowledge that gives vital information and suggests remedial actions to prevent allergic reaction.
I love the book. Even medical school dont prepare you for your kids food allergies. No one in our family had it. Thanks for writing this excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you have a child with allergies!!!, January 18, 2007
M. Hardy (Leesburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This is a great resource for Parents and caregivers with children suffering food allergies. I've found most Doctor's, even Allergists, do not take a proactive role in educating the Parent on how to manage such a lifestyle changing issue. I found this book and Dr. Sicherer does an outstanding job putting the processes of food allergies in layman's terms and describes the many steps in working through the issues related to this health concern. Best of luck if your just learning about food allergies, like me, but luckily, many children seem to grow out of some allergies with time - keeping my fingers crossed!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy-to-read, up-to-date, comprehensive resource, March 22, 2007
Gillespie "Beach Mom" (Berlin, MD, United States) - See all my reviews
My three-year old son has severe food allergies. This book -- written by a world-renowned pediatric allergist -- is one of the best food allergy books I've come across. It provides all the latest statistics and medical background regarding food allergy, and is easy for the lay public to digest, e.g., those of us without medical degrees. Another great book for parents learning to cope with their child's food allergies is: The Parents Guide to Food Allergies -- Clear and Complete Adivce From the Experts on Raising Your Food-Allergic Child. It's written by a parent -- who was a professional writer before discovering her child had food allergies. It's easy-to-read and covers some of the more emotional aspects of raising a child with this very unique and special need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!!!, January 9, 2007
This book is a great reference guide to understanding food allergies, a must for anyone who knows someone with food allergies, especially parents of Food Allergic Children. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, informative, and well-written, January 22, 2007
Dr. Sicherer has written a very helpful, up-to-date, and thorough book about food allergies and children. He and his team at Mt. Sinai are some of the top pediatric allergists working today, which is clear from his book. He does a great job giving an overview of food allergies, as well as some of the emotional consequences of having a child with one. I have read quite a few books on this topic (because of my daughter's food allergies) and this is my favorite. It's not alarmist, but recognizes that food allergies can be serous. It talks about the personal/emotional but doesn't exaggerate scary stories to make a more compelling read. If you have a child or grandchild with food allergies, I'd highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Food Allergy Book I've Read, December 15, 2007
J.D. (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Ditto everyone else's 5 star reviews. A fantastic book for parents and extended family members of the food allergic child. Sicherer write in a clear and concise manner, explaining all one needs to know. My child has food allergies, including Food Protein-Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome (FPIES), and I've done a lot of research and am active in an online FA support group. This book explains it all, even stuff I didn't already know. His FPIES section is excellent. I keep this book on out for quick access, as I often use it as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbiased approach to Food Allergy Explanation, December 29, 2011
In my opinion, Dr. Sicherer does an excellent job of describing what a food allergy is, what possible reactions are and some steps to take in avoiding life-threatening reactions. One part of this book that is very useful is his large resource of examples of kids and families who have allergies and the experiences that they each go through. Those examples are used to explain a more detailed point. In the end, the result of his examples helps to remember and understand the principle he is teaching.

The perspective that he takes is of a medical doctor. However, he streses the importance of what he calls The Medical History. In this, he explains that the tests and the doctor do not have nearly as much information available as the parents. So, in diagnosis the child, the parents and the history of the child is the most reliable source for information.

I highly recommend this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›