Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Understanding Sabermetrics: An Introduction to the Science of Baseball Statistics
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 6, 2014
This is something of a special interest and I could not find books about saber metrics at a Barnes and Noble Superstore. There are a few of these books and this subject isn't for everyone. It is for: People interested in baseball and records and box scores to an unusual degree, math nerds, statistics nerds, people who play FANTASY baseball--anyone overly interested in these subjects or some combination. This series is a good one, it walks you through it. There may be other books on the subject but not many for lay people. You probably have one person in your life who will go nuts for this, while the rest will scratch their heads and wonder what you were thinking. You know who that person is.
on July 18, 2014
So far so good. I bought this book because: I liked the concept of "Money Ball"; I love baseball; I love baseball statistics; I have been a baseball fan for 57 years and I will be 70 this year and am hoping this mental exercise will help keep my brain going !
on April 19, 2014
This is a small but fairly expensive book. It covers the basics of sabermetrics. The explanations are concise and many worked out examples. I have read a fair amount of original work by Bill James and Pete Palmer among others. So most the material was not new to me. I did learn a few things such as Win Shares and Park Effects. I really like the description of a simple simulation of Joe DiMaggio's consecutive game hitting streak. I noticed a few typographical errors in the calculations that distract from the presentation. I am looking forward to reading the two other books in the series.
on March 30, 2010
Understanding Sabermetrics is a wonderfully written book with many examples of some dominant sabermetric formulas. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in sabermetrics.

This book has one technical flaw in it I'd like to point out:
In chapter six, on runs created, they define the B factor of the RCTECH formula as B = TB + [0.26(TBB-IBB+HBP)] + [0.52(SH+SF+SB)], but they do not explain what TBB stands for. Then, in the following example, they insert the value for total bases (TB) in for TBB. After reading Bill James' 1985 version of his Historical Baseball Abstract, TBB stands for Total Bases on Balls, more commonly known as BB or W; it is just an odd abbreviation. Thus, the value they obtain is off (albeit by 4) and they fail to define an obscure abbreviation.

Besides this annoying mistake (I've been using this book to help write an introductory paper), it is extremely useful and a great read.
on September 4, 2014
Pretty good book. Informative on a good, moderate level for this subject. This book is not, however, appropriate for numbers averse readers.
on November 9, 2013
An excellent introduction to the discipline of Sabermetrics. I have both read the volume twice and given it to others.
on June 10, 2016
not much understanding and not an introduction.
on March 6, 2014
When I have insomnia, I read this book. It doesn't put me to sleep, but I really enjoy reading it. A very good overview of stats in baseball.
on December 9, 2013
Reading this book, is a great way to learn the methods of statistical analysis that baseball front offices use to evaluate players.
on July 3, 2014