4.0 out of 5 stars More Understanding Exposure
I've seen photography books on many subjects but this is the first one I've ever seen that claimed to limit itself to an understanding of shutter speed. How could I resist?

Published on April 10, 2008 by Conrad J. Obregon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great
I first bought "Understanding Exposure" from this same author, and felt it was one of the best books I have ever read re: photography. A manual of sorts I still keep nearby. This edition focuses on the sub-point of shutter speed as it relates to exposure.

The Good:
Published on July 7, 2008 by Michael R. Stoller Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, July 7, 2008
Michael R. Stoller Jr. (Grosse Pointe Farms, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Understanding Shutter Speed: Creative Action and Low-Light Photography Beyond 1/125 Second (Paperback)

The Good:
Great color photography with good examples of how varying shutter speeds will affect an image. There are a number of tricks -- like you can shoot action coming directly at you at 1/250, but need 1/500 for lateral or vertical movement.

The Bad:
I felt the book had a lot more fluff than the author's other effort. Some of the images were re-used -- or at least came from the same shoot -- and it had a lot more creative examples which I personally didn't like. It was outside the box a bit in terms of how to use shutter speeds, my complaint is that the results, even if intended, were not desirable.

Overall:
I liked this book, and glad I have it as a supplement to my growing photo library; but, I would not buy this before having his other edition. Shop price on this. I wouldn't overpay. I would give this 3 1/2 stars if Amazon allowed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Understanding Exposure, April 10, 2008

Bryan Peterson is the author of "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition)", a very popular book with photographers just getting into using cameras that allow them to adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO for a proper exposure. This book might well have been entitled "More Understanding Exposure".

The book, which reads quickly and clearly, offers chapters covering the range of shutter speeds from 1/2000 of a second to several seconds and shows you when their use is appropriate. Peterson shows the reader how the use of different shutter speeds may be appropriate for the same subject, as when photographing action one might use a fast shutter speed to stop the action dead or a slow shutter speed to achieve deliberate blurs. Along the way, he scatters tips some of which are directly related to shutter speed, like shooting into the light in the rain at 1/60 of a second to get the best rain trails, and some only indirectly related, like using a Bogen Magic Arm attached to a broom to get a broom's eye view of sweeping. Occasionally the pictures offered in illustration are extremely striking, like the image of a cat making its way down a flight of purple stairs, and sometimes quite banal, like the pictures of his daughter running toward the camera. The final chapter of the book, a summary of the rules of composition, seemed more like an add-on to make sure the author had a book's worth of pages.

I found Peterson's description of clinging to the roof of a car without handholds, while being driven down a road taking pictures, to capture a sense of movement, alarming. It also seemed to me that a great deal of the information related to capturing blurred images, either as a result of camera or subject movement. I've used the procedure myself to convey my artistic intent, but here there seemed to be a suggestion that the result would inevitably be art, and I'm certain that's not a correct conclusion.

New photographers who have just begun to master exposure may benefit from the wide array of techniques offered and may find the inspiration to experiment. On the other hand, there is little here that will be new to experienced photographers, most of whom will have already learned the virtues of slow shutter speeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Book, April 3, 2008
M. Warriner "M.Warriner" (Surprise, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I have read and used the material presented in all of Mr. Peterson's books and I have found them all to be extremely helpful in my quest to learn photography. "Understanding Shutter Speed" is yet another fine example of his excellent teaching abilities simplifying even the most complex topics so beginners like me are able to "understand". This book like his others is full of beautiful sample photographs vividly illustrating the subject he is discussing. I highly recommend this book for any beginner photographer!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little light on real information, October 5, 2009
BBbeans (Missoula, MT) - See all my reviews
I had read a lot of good things about this guy's books, most notably "Understanding Exposure".

So I went to the local photography store and bought this book. It is alright for people that really don't understand shutter-speed, but it is a little light on serious photography information for people who have some understanding of shutter-speed already.

A lot of space is devoted to his pictures, a lot of which really aren't very good. There is a picture of his daughter skiing that really looks like a 4 year old took it. He is also fond of talking about how great his life as a pro-photographer is, which is a bit annoying.

You could write a brief summary of this book as follows:

Fast shutterspeeds (1/250 and up) will freeze action.

Slow shutterspeeds (1/30 and below) will make your pictures look artistic.

It isn't a terrible book but given the reputation this guy has on here I thought I would take a moment and write my first book review ever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Okay...., May 3, 2009
clee "CHL" (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
Decided to purchase Peterson's book based on my previous purchase of his "Understanding Exposure." Truly enjoyed reading and learning from the first book however was not able to gain too much from this current book. Please do not let me discount the material itself, I did find it interesting since Peterson does a fine job of communicating his thoughts into words however I did not take away the same amount that I gained from his book regarding Exposure. Nevertheless, it will serve as a book of reference when I need to look something up about "Speed."

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Willing to Think Outside the Box, July 12, 2008
I read Bryan's first book, "Understanding Exposure" and thought it was one of the best photography books writtens. Therefore, when he came out with this one I didn't buy it because I didn't want to be disappointed with rehashes of photos I already saw or he just added a few points to concepts already covered in other books.

I was on a photo safari when someone told me how much they enjoyed the book. Therefore, I decided to buy it. I was pleasantly surprised to see how he took something as basic as "shutter speed" and successfully held my interest for the entire book.

Bryan categorizes the book based on the shutter speed. These range from the speeds that freeze action (1/1000, 1/500, 1/250), to the slower ones that emphasize motion.

The books value is in the use of the slower speeds. There is not much to learn about taking images at the faster speeds that freeze action.

I give credit because he didn't just provide a bunch of pictures of the cliche slow shutter images (i.e., waterfalls and people walking). Instead, he shows you how to allow the moving subjects to paint the picture. My favorites examples are the boats in the water and the fields of grass. In these examples, he shows the typical image taken a faster speeds. Next, he shows how slowing the shutter speed allows the objects to move slightly thus producing very interesting photos.

I've taken photos of flowers in the past. I used to get upset because I couldn't use a fast enough shutter speed when I increased my aperture for greater depth of focus without increasing my ISO. In retrospect, I could've used a slower shutter speed to emphasize the motion and create more colorful images. This only works if one dares to try something different.

In conclusion, Bryan does an excellent job of showing you how to creatively use what you already know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaving the intellectual muddle out of it, this is a book you'll want to own as a glorious idea generator, July 8, 2008
When I first looked at "Understanding Shutter Speed" by Bryan Peterson on Amazon I wondered how shutter speed, only one of the components of an exposure, made up a book. In fact, there are some organizational problems that are caused by choosing this particular slice as a wedge into the topic of photography. A good editor might well have wondered what the final chapter on "Composition" is doing at all in this particular book.

The great strength here is idea generation. It's hard not to look at the illustrations in this book and say, "Hey why don't I try that?" The caption information is explicit enough so that you can recreate the ideas shown for yourself, or use them as a jumping off point. As an idea book, "Understanding Shutter Speed" is well worth its price.

Personally, I find the text (as opposed to the photo captions) problematic. Peterson seems out of his depth when it comes to digital. He really seems to think that from a noise viewpoint you are better off underexposing by two stops and adjusting in RAW as opposed to boosting the ISO and exposing properly (he's wrong). His discussion of ISO using a metaphor of hundreds of carpenters struck me as simply silly and without much point.

But leaving the intellectual muddle out of it, this is a book you'll want to own as a glorious idea generator.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful book by Bryan Peterson, April 18, 2008
When I ordered this book my first thought before receiving it was that I didn't think I would learn too much but I have always loved his photography.

Boy was I wrong. After reading the book I realized how many of my photos could have been better if I paid more attention to shutter speed. I had become so used to all of my photos stopping the action, that I realized if I had slowed the shutter and let some of the background blur, it would have actually improved the photo.
shutter speed was something I was taking for granted and this book helped remind me of a creative element I had forgotten.

Like all of Bryan Peterson's books, this book is easy to read and all concepts are explained in a clear and concise manner. another plus is that many photos have two different versions to show what a change in shutter speed can do.

and if nothing else, this book is worth it for the fantastic photos within it's pages. He truly has a wonderful eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, April 12, 2008
I believe that I have read everything that Bryan Peterson has written and I even use his digital photography book in my photo classes.
This is his best book to date; he really looks at all aspects of shutter speed in almost any photographic situation. I had hoped that this book would be up to his previous photo books, but it is even better!
I thoroughly enjoyed reading it the first time and I find myself going back to it again and again to review specifics. A real wealth of information!

4.0 out of 5 stars What One Can Do with ISO 100!, April 13, 2009
Birder (West Monroe, LA) - See all my reviews
Bryan Peterson does it again for me with "Understanding Shutter Speed." I'm a fairly avid photographer (mainly nature) and Bryan provided me with new ideas on how to capture nature shots as well other subjects. What I really like is that he provides incite on how to capture great photos with ISO 100 where the quality of the picture is best. With camera manufacturers chasing after higher and higher ISO speeds, Bryan shows that you don't have to chase after that even though there are times when it does come in handy. I do recommend this book as a good complement to another of his books, "Understanding Exposure" (revised edition, five stars for me) which had a wealth of great tips. Also, Bryan apparently is a fan of shooting with natural lighting (I am too) and so what he suggests covers a wide gamut of situations.

$25.99 $16.44