4.0 out of 5 stars A beginners guide to the 12 steps
Published on June 26, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
am only half way through it and am learning much more about the steps
Published 4 months ago by bill hoff

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A beginners guide to the 12 steps, June 26, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Understanding the Twelve Steps: An Interpretation and Guide for Recovering (Paperback)
This book is a must have for any beginning 12-stepper. It gives an excellent introduction to the understanding of how the 12 steps work and the spiritual principles behind them. This book would be an excellent choice for any person in recovery, as well as a resource for any person that is not in recovery, but wishes to have an understanding of the 12 steps. It is clear, easy to understand, and complements Gorski's other books very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Language for Real Understanding, August 6, 2008
This book rocks! I have been so frustrated over the past few years where the Big Book is considered. It is such an amazing book, but so difficult (if not impossible) for many people of limited vocabulary or education to understand.

We have two program people in our home who absolutely cannot understand the Big Book, no matter how hard they try. As many of you know, it's not just the vocabulary, but the wording that can be difficult. As a professional with two Bachelors and a Masters, I have found the Big Book to be the most difficult book I have ever read. Many people argue that the Big Book should not be re-written. To do so would tamper with the message. While I understand the concern, it is sad that so many people are unable to comprehend all of the wonerful material because of the style in which it was written. After all, the Bible has been written in many different versions so that young people can understand it. Adults too. I believe we need the same thing with the Big Book. A "Study Big Book" perhaps.

Enter "Understanding the Twelve Steps." This is really a no-nonsense look at the twelve steps and the ideas they are trying to get across. It isn't a simplified Big Book, but a study in the 12 steps. Although the language speaks to Alcoholics, it is fantastic for people in any 12-step program. AA, Al-Anon, Alateen, CA, NA, CODA, etc. The author does a great job speaking in terms that help one visualize the ideas discussed. I think it's a fantastic supplement to any of our wonderful programs.

Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Yourself, May 6, 2007
I found this book useful in offering a different perspective on the 12 step programme which was useful in my approach to working my steps.

Recomended by my sponsor. Recomended by me to mine and to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely the best author, January 12, 2009
Rion (Alameda, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I think that Terry Gorski is the best author when it comes to recovery books. I have several books on 12-step work, and I always come back to this one has having the most clear, pertinent descriptions. He offers really practical perspectives and he is easy to understand. His writing offers in-depth, down-to-earth concepts that you won't find in other books. My only complaint is that the book focuses on AA, and so all the other 12-step programs seem a bit subordinated. I will also recommend "Getting Love Right", another winner from Gorski.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the Twelve Steps, August 23, 2007
This book supplements the major literature of Alcoholics Anonymous--specifically (1) The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions and (2) Alcoholics Anonymous. The book is easy to read and written in contemporary English and is a wonderful tool used in combating the disease of alcoholism.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is awesome, March 9, 2013
NJT (California) - See all my reviews
As an alcoholic, I have the book "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions", but that book simply states what these concepts ARE, not how to work them or apply them to your life. This book proved to be a great workbook and a handy reference. My favorite part of the book is the explanation of the Twelve Promises, in the back. The first time I read the promises I thought they were total bunk - I couldn't see how they could ever apply. Well, after reading the explanation of the promises in this book, the light went on and it inspired not only me but others I have shared this with. I scanned a copy of just the promises and gave it to a newcomer, and she sought me out at the next meeting to tell me that it was perfect - it reminded her of just what she really wanted in her life and what she was working towards. Inspiring, to say the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, March 26, 2010
This book was a reference source for a class I took last semester, I would definately recommend it for anyone majoring in Substance Abuse Counseling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, May 25, 2011
I found this book very helpful for my understanding of the 12 steps. I particularly liked his summaries of each steps at the end of each chapter and advice on how to know if you've really worked a step correctly. Reading this book really helped me solidify my understanding of the 12 steps; it helped correct several misunderstandings and clarified certain issues I was confused on. He also provides some very useful information on how (and when) to utilize external resources like detox (which could be very important for people struggling with certain alcohol and drug addictions, which might have very dangerous withdrawal symptoms if discontinued abruptly) and therapy. The latter was especially helpful for me, as I have struggled at times to relate my program with my therapy.

My only complaint is that he seems to focus predominantly on alcoholism and other forms of substance dependence. I suppose that makes sense because that's what his specialty is, but still, at times one gets the impression that people are only addicted to alcohol and narcotics. In fairness to him, he does occasionally refer to other programs too, but I would've liked to see a little more focus on some of the behavioral addictions (e.g. problem gambling, compulsive shopping), eating disorders, many of which aren't addressed in significant depth. Codependency and "family-of" groups like Al-Anon tend to get inadequate treatment as well. Yes, I do understand that this is a short book and he can't address every single addiction in detail; however, at times this book seemed like it should have been titled "how to work the A.A. program" rather than "understanding the 12 steps." This isn't to say that the parts that were focusing on alcoholism weren't useful for people in other 12-step programs (much of it was), so maybe I'm making too much of this issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight, February 28, 2009
A great help in working through the 12 steps. Clarifies and expands the ideas of Bill W. Was presented to me by my sponsor when going through the steps, and now I use it with all my sponsees.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on Recovery I've Ever Read!, January 18, 2013
Terence T. Gorski, an internationally recognized expert in the field of addiction treatment, has written numerous books on recovery and the disease of addiction. He is renowned for his groundbreaking research in relapse prevention, and he is a terrific educator. In "Understanding the Twelve Steps," Gorski delivers clearly defined, rational, effective instruction for anyone who is in recovery. No matter whether you are three days or thirty years sober, this book will educate you, motivate you, and inspire you to get the absolute most out of your life in recovery. I first read this book at fourteen years sober, and I learned valuable lessons that thrilled me. I have given this book as a gift to friends who are in early recovery, and they enthusiastically tell me how much it helped them to ground themselves in sobriety and to create a new lifestyle. Thank you Terence Gorski for writing this book!

From Marti MacGibbon, ACRPS, CADC-II, author of the memoir, "Never Give in to Fear: Laughing All the Way Up from Rock Bottom."

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Understanding the Twelve Steps: An Interpretation and Guide for Recovering
Understanding the Twelve Steps: An Interpretation and Guide for Recovering by Terence T. Gorski (Paperback - April 15, 1991)
$15.00 $11.35