on February 4, 2012
To the point: This action/horror hybrid was filmed using Red Epic 3D cameras on the set for most of the film, and the result? Good 3D in Underworld Awakening. When the movie starts, it's in 2D highlighting the previous films, but then it switches to 3D and wow. For 3D, I consider it great when the foreground, mid ground and background pop very clearly from one another in depth so there's no mistake it's 3D. This is clearly the case with Underworld Awakening during many scenes, but sometimes, the 3D pales and looks a bit flat during non action moments. The 3D is comparable to Resident Evil Afterlife 3D, which used the Fusion Cameras as Avatar 1 did.

Underworld Awakening 3D: Top notch 3D that has excellent depth and pop, as well as some 'pop out' moments with Selene's famous throwing stars and the Lycans attacking the screen. Very slick and stylish action throughout and Kate Beckinsale is fun to watch. The main storyline takes place 12 years after the 2nd film, Underworld Evolution.

Movie: 8/10 Story was basic, but reveals unanswered questions.
Action: 9/10 Plenty of stunts, blazing guns, martial arts and monsters. Nicely done.
3D: 8/10 This was filmed in 3D using 3D cameras and looks GREAT at times.
Recommended: YES, if you like this genre of movies. Don't pass this one up.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I LOVED the 4th installment of the Underworld Series. It was non-stop action and kept me completely engaged the whole time.

There was a "cleansing" where the government killed all the Vampires and Lycans. Of course, they never did get them all. Now it appears that the Lycans have been holding up somewhere and reproducing (yuk--there's a mental picture that will burn your eyes right out of their sockets). This time, a 12-year old girl shows up on the scene, and Selene just cannot let her get thrown to the wolves, so to speak. Everybody wants the little girl, but don't let anybody fool you. This is no "let's play doll house" kid!

Kate Beckinsale does a wonderful job and is in her prime fighting the remaining Lycans. There is lots of action, chasing, blood and guts, heads lopping off, etc. Selene is tough and MEAN! This was thoroughly enjoyable. Although I usually do not watch bloody stuff like this, I am hooked on Underworld and will definitely buy the DVD when it becomes available.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2012
Thank God! Beckinsale returns. I had no difficulty watching Rhona Mitra, but Rise of the Lycans just hurt me. I hate seeing non-returning actors replaced. Yes, I know her character (Selene) wasn't even in the prequel, but I still thought the amputation of Beckensale would leave the franchise forever bitter and crippled from making new sequels. And while filled with action, I struggled with the drop in CGI quality, especially for backgrounds. But have no fear. The budget is back, and it brought Beckensale with it. The franchise is redeemed and primed for more sequels.

After a quick recap of the first two movies' events, we are introduced to a near-future in which the vampires and lycans (werewolves) have been discovered by humans. It is acknowledged in the movie that `now these nonhumans are more than myth' and, not surprisingly given human nature, the humans militarized a "cleansing" to eradicate the vampires and lycans. In this middle of all this Selene (Beckinsale) is captured and cryogenically frozen. This is where the background ends and this story begins.

Selene is freed from her cryo-chamber after being helped by some unseen (presumably) nonhuman and escapes an extremely well-guarded research facility. Conveniently, the her scientist-captors left all of her tight, shiny leather outfit in some chemical cabinets, so she was quick to find her normal form. During her escape she encounters some thought-to-be-eradicated lycans and a little vamp-lycan hybrid adolescent--she's pretty tough and gets some cool action scenes. This little girl seems to be the center of story because the lycans REALLY want her.

The plot is quite weak; borderline pointless. But that didn't bother me a bit. Like the first two installments of the franchise, this flick cluster-bombs viewers with exciting action sequences, flesh-shredding assaults, people being slam-launched across the room into walls, a healthy dose of blood splattering, and some occasional creative acrobatics. Oh, and watch out for the really, really, big bad wolf. The lycans genetically engineered this mega-lycan that is around 12-15 feet tall and probably weighs a couple tons. The fight scenes between MegaLycan and Selene are very exciting, brutal, bashy, gritty... The other action scenes are fun, too. Including a lycan-on-foot car chase, some mass melees, and some spiffy close-quarters combat. If you came with no care for plot and every care for mindless action, then this flick is most certainly for you.

In the end I was thrilled with the production value, action-filming and set design--all of which were less impressive in Rise of the Lycans. The effects budget seemed to be lower than it was for Underworld: Evolution (the best effects of the franchise in my opinion), but to no fault. This is one of those "movies for guys who like movies" action flicks and one really wouldn't suffer for not seeing the prequels. But you should definitely watch them anyway!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 8, 2012
Underworld awakening doesn't have many flaws. It gives a short paraphrasing of early prequels to continue the underworld saga. The film includes humans now involved in the battle with some twists and turns of similar kryogenically frozen plots and more family members included. The movie basically mainly involves the camera following around kate beckinsale while others help her try to reunite with her love then her daughter. I did enjoy it, however I thought the film could have been longer and more detailed. It seemed they did not spend that much time on this movie but kind of made this as "fast food" film. With that being said I'm a satisfied customer with this rental. I look forward to the next one. thanks. Godbless

~shauns movie review
on July 3, 2012
This is a great movie to watch where werewolf and vampire are fighting but also human are fighting to with they weapon that can stop vampire and werewolf and also with they armer uniform
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
There is really only one film franchise out there that continually has me salivating for more, and that's the gritty, paranormal reality of "Underworld." While shorter than the other installments in the series, "Awakening" is one of the finest installments yet.

Where once vampires and lycans lived in secret, the war between them has escalated and the truth is out. In a desperate attempt to maintain the upper hand, humans have enforced martial law and are hunting down both species, identifying it as a "virus" without a cure. Their assault on the two races that have lived among them unnoticed for centuries forces individuals on both sides into hiding, but before Selene (Kate Beckinsale) and her hybrid lover Michael (Scott Speedman) can escape, they are hunted down. Twelve years later, awakening from stasis in a laboratory, Selene is determined to find out what has happened to Michael -- and to discover the source of her hallucinations, which permit her to see through another creature's eyes. Her desperate escape introduces her to David (Theo James), a member of one of the few remaining Covens, and then to the little girl that both humans and lycans seem to want -- Eve (India Eisley).

After she is badly wounded during a lycan attack, David takes them both to the Coven -- much to the disapproval of his father (Charles Dance), little realizing the consequences this will have for them all. If you have any familiarity with the franchise, you will know what this series is all about: the battle between vampires and lycans (werewolves) as it evolves in a futuristic society. The most successful installments have revolved around Selene and although I was not keen on the idea of this film back when it was announced (to be honest, I was disappointed they didn't make another prequel showing the rise of Lucian), the end result is marvelous. Changing the backdrop and introducing Eve could have backfired but it doesn't; we accept that the world has altered and are still rooting for our leather-clad immortal heroine to save the day in whatever way she can. And in this one she does, with her usual flair and undoubted style. Everything we loved about the earlier films is present here, from the jaw-dropping action sequences to the twirl of her coat as she kicks some lycan butt.

Even though it is violent, there's a lot to like about this film series and this film in particular. It explores an alternate reality in which the heroine is unconventional, a vampire seeking to protect her own from a lycan clan that would gladly kill Eve to harvest her abilities. I'm also fond of its consistent use of talented British actors in the roles of vampire elders -- in the original and the prequel we had Bill Nighy, in the sequel we had Derek Jacobi, and now we have Charles Dance. Throw in an incredible remix of an Amy Lee Evanescence track over the ending credits and you have a movie series that may not strive to be intelligent, but it is always entertaining. But putting all that aside, its immense success comes down to one rather trivial truth: it's just plain cool.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2012
For fans of the series, this movie is worth watching. It ends with somewhat of a cliffhanger, but I look forward to the next one.
on June 23, 2012
The movie is an excellent addition to the series. Beckinsale is still outstanding as the heroine. My son and I like to watch movies like this in series and will watch them back-to-back-to-back because we like to see the continuity and how parts from the past are brought back as one story. This latest chapter fits well.
on May 8, 2012
I watched Underworld Awakening with low expectations because I'd heard it had low reviews.
I was expecting fun action but didn't know if there would be any story or characterization to go with it.
I was extremely disappointed with Rise of the Lycans and felt that story idea was a great story that could've have been told allot more powerfully.
So I was concerned about the quality level of Underworld Awakening. I thought it might do a disservice to the original Underworld ethos.
I was pleasantly surprised. Underworld Awakening is an engaging and suspenseful action movie from the beginning.
It is everything an action movie should be and the action and related suspense is well done.
But it is more than just meaningless action. It has a good story to it.
The desires and motivations of the characters are well portrayed. There are a number of surprises and plot twists as well.
What I'm trying to say is that the action is driven by the motivation, desires and emotions of Selene and the other characters.
The movie does move at a frenetic, breakneck pace but there is depth in the story, not just meaningless action.
I've seen plenty of meaningless, banal action movies and I detest them so I'm not one who is quick to praise every action movie just because of the "wow" factor.
I require more than explosions, spectacular fight scenes and action. I require that there be a story and that there be characterization, that the movie has depth. And good directing is really nice and rather essential too.
Don't believe the poor reviews of this movie. Those people simply don't understand it or mistake it for something else.
If you liked the first Underworld movie, you'll like this one.
If you liked the sequel you'll love this one.
I thought the sequel to Underworld was okay and a bit of a letdown in some ways, however still possessing good qualities. But this movie, in my mind, captures the magic of the original movie, albeit in a different way.
I think some people are put off by the pace of the movie, that the whole movie takes place in no more than 2 to 3 days.
That isn't a problem for me.
Bottom line:
The story carries the action and makes this movie meaningful, enjoyable and satisfying.
If there is a sequel to this one (and the ending of Awakening begs for a sequel) I hope it is a well directed, well scripted movie that the creators take seriously and not just driven by hollywood greed.
Excellent movie - Don't believe the poor reviewers - Highly recommended.
on May 15, 2012
I loved the first movie. I enjoyed the second movie. The third movie....
If you think of it as watching someone else play a video game, it will be OK. Don't expect much in the way of plot or even dialogue. It is pretty, though. I'm happy I didn't waste theater money on it. It's pretty modest for an R-rated movie. The steam keeps all the naked parts covered. Plenty of violence--but not more than you'd see in a video game.
Know what to expect and you can still enjoy this movie.