5.0 out of 5 stars UNDISCOVERED...BUT NOT FOR LONG
Published on March 13, 2007 by Alan Dorfman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good voice, but...
I bought the cd based on a couple of songs, not sure what the rest of the album would be like. He has a great voice, but I thought many of the songs were too similar, and not many stood out as something special. Hope he continues to record, but develop a more unique sound.
Published on April 27, 2008 by Brooklyn Aphrodite

5.0 out of 5 stars UNDISCOVERED...BUT NOT FOR LONG, March 13, 2007
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
Imagine a John Mayer that's more urban than urbane or a James Blunt after a testosterone infusion and you've got James Morrison. With a voice that's a cross between Stevie Wonder and Rod Stewart, the precise phrasing of John Waite and the vocal fearlessness of Jason Mraz, James Morrison is an earnest, empsassioned white soul boy from the UK washing up stateside for the first time with the release of his new CD "Undiscovered."

But this is no castaway effort, no flotsam and jetsam of Britpop trying to cash in on his good looks and video friendliness. James Morrison is an impressive singer/songwriter able to handle a wide range of arrangements and sings with a straightforward honesty that imbues his songs with real emotion whether it's the head-over-heels of the opener "Under The Influence" ("Whatever I do I am under the influence of you"), the insecurity of "You Give Me Something" (You give me something that makes me scared all right"), the gospel feel of the title tune "Undiscovered" ("I'm not lost, just undiscovered") or the rocking declaration of individuality "Call The Police" ("'I can't do nothin' if I can't do somethin' my way"). And those aren't even the best songs in my opinion.

That honor would go to the break-up ballad "The Pieces Don't Fit Anymore" and the brilliantly arranged "Wonderful World" in which Morrison sings how he knows it's a wonderful world but only when his loved one is there.

With the simultaneous American release of "Undiscovered" and Amy Winehouse's "Back To Black" this is a huge week for British Soul with Joss Stone's new one waiting in the wings. Welcome back to music where passion trumps lust.

One small quibble. the original British release has two extra songs - not better than the 11 included here but more of a good thing is always welcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing. One of 2007's best yet .....let's give the guy a break, March 17, 2007
guillermoj (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
as some people are already calling him Stevie Wonder "light" as his sound is not straight up soul and then you have others wanting to build him up into something that no artist can ever meet or maintain.

In a nutshell, I was hugely impressed by the CD from beggining to end. It has a folky/poppy/soulfulness that to me is a HUGE step up from the procesed pop that has dominated the charts in recent years. While not taking anything away from him or his contemporaries, you'll probably really like Morrison if you like acts such as James Blunt, Paolo Nutini (who I really like esp. for being so young), Damien Rice, Ray LaMontagne, David Gray, and The Fray, just to name more than a few.

If you are among those who dismiss the above as no more than background noise for a show like "Grey's Anatomy," this CD will not change your mind. If on the other hand, if you don't expect the second coming Stevie Wonder/Bod Dylan and are drawn to direct songs that are small in scope yet huge on emotion (without having perfect pitch tenors) this is one release that you won't regret buying. Out of all the acts that I mentioned, I am really curious how Morrison will evolve as there is a soulfulness that makes him stand out.

Without a doubt one of my best purchases so far this year and I am not so easy to please. Thanks for all for your kind words and continued guidance in helping me find music that stands out in a sea of way too much product. Also, this one is currently priced to sell. I mention this because I think/hope that record companies realize that if they have a good product at a good price, it will sell. Let's not blame illegal downloads, legal downloads of "singles", alternate methods of entertainment, or Mother Nature for the fall in "music" sales. There is a huge market out there for music and if done honestly money can be made and not make the public feel bad for not buying some of the junk that is out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut of Soulful singer songwriter, March 22, 2007
Mike S. Smutny (Brooklyn Park, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
I read all the hype on this guy and was skeptical that it could live up to it. This is a great disc though for anyone who loves good soulful pop songs. His voice sounds like a cross between Ray LaMontagne (not quite as raspy but with more energy) Stevie Wonder and Terence Trent D'Arby. The music is a perfect blend of old-school keyboards and horns without being overtly retro. It will appeal to fans of Van Morrison, Marc Broussard, Josh Kelly, Gavin DeGraw, Maroon 5 and more recent Jonny Lange. There's not a bad song on it. He's not that much like James Blunt (as some say) but he may reach the same cross cultural/cross generational audience and be one of "the" discs to buy this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please Discover - James Morrison, March 13, 2007
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
This dude is it. For a debut record, I think it is quite stellar. The raw soul in his voice captivates me and I am hooked. This is the rare album that everyone in the family can listen to, and it is by no means corny or watered down! Get it and Get it Now! The Brits are here, so let us give them love!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome CD, March 18, 2007
Charles Vetter "Wambli" (Walnut, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
I just was browsing and happened upon this CD, and I was immediately taken in by this new talent. I was almost shocked by how good it was, just because I hadn't heard of him before, hadn't seen any videos, hadn't heard any news stories about him... At first, when I was thinking of a good way to describe him, I was thinking he was like a male version of Nora Jones... however.. he has more upbeat guitar driven songs, but same kinda vibe if that makes any sort of sense. I am not sure what category of music James Morrison fits into.Some songs sounded kinda jazz influenced... some have that R&B feel, while others had more of a rock vibe to them, and he has that Blues quality in a lot of his music..Call the Police reminded me of Blues Traveller. My favorites are when the production is stripped down and you just have him singing along with his guitar. He has that kind of raspy voice that singers such as Rod Stewart and James Blunt have.. but with much greater range. I am in no means a song writing expert... but I have to say... this seems to be a very deep CD with a lot of wide ranging thoughts and emotions expressed. Its very intimate... and I thought about the meanings long afterI was done listening to the songs. My favorite songs on the CD are Undiscovered, The Last Goodbye, Better Man, Wonderful World, and Call The Police. ... Its always great when you come across a new talent like this... I hope he stays around for a while!

5.0 out of 5 stars You must own this one!, September 22, 2007
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
I was first introduced to James Morrison while watching the UK Hall of Fame on BBC. He was performing Rod Stewart's "The First Cut is the Deepest". I was captivated by his voice from the first note. I immediately bought his album from Amazon UK and have listened to it every day since then. He is the real deal. I saw him perform live in Minneapolis and to say that people were stunned by his talent would be an understatement. He blew everyone away that night. You won't find anyone more talented than this one. He is humble about his music but believe me, he is a legend in the making. Never have I loved a debut album as much as I love this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new under the sun, April 3, 2007
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
I think the strength of this album (and this artist) lies in its modesty. Morrison is clearly content to use time-tested formulas for song writing and performance, borrowing from motown, blues based rock, and blue eyed soul, tampering really with nothing, just adding a great voice, and coming up with some great hooks. That in addition to Morrison's seemingly humble character, which comes across for me in some of his soul-searching lyrics and interviews I've seen with him (like the one on this Amazon page, where rather than trying to claim some grand artistic statement, he says he kind of winged it to write the lyrics to "You Give Me Something"). As dull as it all may seem to some, its outcome is a solid artistic chemistry and an unlikely rising star.

For me, This record proves that it isn't necessarily originality or a grand vision that makes a great record (that's right: a great record, not just a popular one). It seems to be enough for Morrison to show his respect to the originators, write some catchy hooks, sing them with some power, and not act like a big jerk.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CD for everyone, March 21, 2007
M. Kaikai (Wherever the wind takes me) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
I love, love, love this cd. I can't stop playing. I first heard the song "You give me something" on vacation in Southern France and instantly fell in love with it. I immediately set off to find out who this guy was and where I could get his cd. Each track literally has me singing along aloud and swaying to the beat.

Everyone I've played this cd for has loved it, from my 54 year-old uncle who's into jazz and world music, to my little cousin who's in love with Ciara and Justin Timerlake. True story, I was actually in the car driving with my little cousin listening to the cd (turned up pretty loud) and I looked over at the car next to me and the guy actually turned down his radio to hear what we were playing and immediately started bopping to the beat. I think that says alot about the musician and his music that he can reach such a wide range of people.

If you could only purchase once CD this year I would definitely say this is the way to go. Happy listening:)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST CDs I've ever bought, September 23, 2007
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
From start to finish James Morrison delivers on a vocal and instrumental level. Each song on this album can be related to stages of any person's life. From the inspirational track "Undiscovered" to the near violent rock song "Call the Police" this CD is a musical collage that should be owned by any music fan. James Morrison can easily be called the UK's John Mayer with soulful songs like "Better Man," but then pop fans can also relate to Morrison's radio friendly singles "You Give Me Something" and "Wonderful World." At this CD's end there will be something for almost any music fan. Even hip hop fans(myself) will learn to appreciate the lyrical content mixed into this brilliant album.
Favorite Tracks - "This Boy" "Pieces Don't Fit Anymore" "The Last Goodbye"
But please people get the James Morrison CD with the 2 bonus tracks called "Is Anybody Home" and "Burns Like Summersun." They're very good songs and I'd hate it for u guys if you missed them.

5.0 out of 5 stars a new, true soul!, August 22, 2007
This review is from: Undiscovered (Audio CD)
This album in a word.....awsome!!! I have recently discovered john mayer, james blunt, etta james, nina simone and others. mostly due to the fact that i am crazy in love, and my girlfriend turned me on to them. But when i heard this cd for the first time, i was blown away! This guy is the real deal. I can't stop listening to it. If you like any, or all of the names i mentioned above....buy this cd. you will not be disappointed. songs like "under the influence", "call the police" "undiscovered", and "wonderful world" , make this a monster cd from start to finish. But the song "better man" tears at the fabric of my soul everytime i hear it. looking forward to more music from this master.

Undiscovered
Undiscovered by James Morrison (Audio CD - 2007)