Most helpful critical review
11 of 15 people found the following review helpful
Undisputed 3 Stars
on September 11, 2012
The legendary Dmx is back with his seventh solo album "Undisputed", its not as good as his earlier albums but its still solid. Dmx released two classics in 98 which was "It's Dark and "Hell Is Hot" and Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood". But lets get into this Undisputed track by track review
1. "Lookin Without Seein" (Intro)
2. "What They Don't Know" This track is cool, reminds me of the old X. You can bob your head to this joint
3. "Cold World" (featuring Andreena Mill) Andreena did a great job on here, it seems like it was her song since X only has only on verse but he spits the realness we love from him. Great track
4. "I Don't Dance" (featuring MGK) This song was released in 2010 and it was originally called "Y'all N***** Bounce" but he remade it. This is literally one of the worst Dmx songs I ever heard, MGK didn't help out either. X says "Y'all n***** whisper X is a crackhead/ alright then f*** it then I'ma just crack heads" ..
5. "Sucka for Love" (featuring Dani Stevenson) This track is aimed at the ladies. The lyrics on here remind me of "How its goin down" from his Its dark and hell is hot album but a cheesier version. Basically hes saying shes just something to f***, hes not trying to wife her up.
6. "I Get Scared" (featuring Rachel Taylor) One of the emotional joints from X, the bad thing about the song sis that you can barely even hear his verses because the beat too loud.
7. "Slippin' Again" Now this is the Dmx I been waiting to hear. He shows his emotion and talks about his struggles with lines like " If y'all only knew/ what my life is like and what I'm going through/ maybe you'd think before you talk". At the end of the song, X is screaming out "I wish you F****** knew" and it sounds like he is really stressed out. Classic track right here.
8. "Prayer" (Skit) The title says it all !
9. "I'm Back" Hardcore joint with X just spitting 2 verses of raw lyrics, he sounds real focused on here. Most of y'all probably remember this beat because AZ rapped on this same beat as well.
10. "Have You Eva" X gets introspective over a smooth beat which samples Freddie Jackson's "Have you ever loved somebody". This is one of the best songs on here, oh yeah this also appeared on X's mixtape that was released in 2010 but this is a updated version which sounds great. Classic track
11. "Get Your Money Up" High energy track, you can definitely work out to this work. It sounds like it could of came out back in the early 2000s, if this would of came out back then it could of been a hit.
12. "Head Up" A heartfelt track where he talks about whats going on in his life and hes asking God for help as he spits "Lord if you hear me/ know that I'm coming to you sincerely/ I need you near me/ Please feel me/ I'm sick and I need for you to heal me/ I'm lost and I'm looking for the real me/ I'm tired and weary/ not being able to see things clearly". Now this is the definition of real song!
13. "Frankenstein" I Wasn't feeling this joint, it sounds dated as the hook goes "We gon tear s*** up what/ tear s*** up what".
14. "Ya'll Don't Really Know" This came out in 09, but it was just one verse. Average track, nothing to special.
15. "I Got Your Back" (featuring Kashmere) Bonnie and Clyde type song, Kashmere has a verse but I cant believe X really said "Shorty got my back like a jacket"...nonetheless this song is cool
16. "No Love" (featuring Andreena Mill) More of that real life we all love from X for, he says "I took a snake to make me trust more" and "Never thought about biting the hand that feeds me buy yall m********** is greedy", hes talking about fake friends, everybody should be able to relate to this song.
17. "Already" This song was released in 2008, I'm surprised this made the final cut. Ya'll remember on Ruff Ryders Anthem when he said "what" after every line besides the hook? Well he does something similar on here but says "already" instead. I'm not a fan of this either as it sounds dated..
Overall the album isn't too bad, Dmx has been in jail and dealing with a lot of personal problems as well so some of the songs sounds dated. Some tracks sound like were recorded back when he made "Grand Champ" which will turn listeners away. Another thing wrong with the album is the lack of new material, I would of loved to hear all new music from X but some of these just were released years ago which kills the excitement of the album.... The 17 tracks should of been knocked down to about 13 or 14 tracks. I hate that I had to give X such a low rating but I cant be bias and just throw out 5 stars (classic rating) because hes of my fav rappers of all time. The good thing is that none of the songs sound forced or sound like anything that's out today, its just X being X and we all should respect the fact the hes being himself. My final rating is 3 stars