5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful
Unearthly is a delightful read, focusing on Nephilim, or as they prefer in this book angel-blood. The writing is paced wonderfully and the story gripped me right away. Cynthia has created likable and easy to relate with characters, that I was emotionally invested in.

Published on February 12, 2012 by Brandi Breathes Books

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow Going...
Published on April 24, 2011 by Ziare

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, February 12, 2012
This review is from: Unearthly (Paperback)

Clara, the main character, is a great narrator- I could easily understand where she was coming from with her actions and emotions. I liked that she wasn't fully informed on the whole angel world, and that I got to learn with her, and that I was questioning everything just like her. I was able to relate with her- her insecurities, fears and doubts. She isn't a perfect character and I love her for that- I can see growth in her, and I feel more connected to her through her weaknesses. Not that she is a doormat- she has some fiest in her, which is commendable. She has to face some hard situations- choosing between love and destiny.

Her friends, Angela and Wendy are fantastic- I would take them as my besties in an instant. They are funny, supportive, and they both have their own personalities. They both help Clara to grow in different but important ways. Wendy also pushes her brother, and Clara's love interest to her, and helps it to develop.

There is a love triangle, which is very well written. One is her love, and one she has a crush on to begin with but it seems that he is her destiny. I am firmly on team Tucker, but I can see the appeal of Christian as well. I like that Tucker and Clara's relationship grows through friendship first, unlike with Christian, even though she sees him in visions, it seems to be an automatic thing, built more from physical attraction. It is hard to judge there though, because Clara does have a bigger purpose- and she doesn't know all the details, even at the end.

The end is a cliff-hanger but it is not the worst I have encountered. We get some closure and the main theme of the book has happened, even though not fully resolved.

Overall- I really liked this book and would recommend to pick it up when it releases or as you have a chance.
Review from Blkosiner's Book Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book for Angel fans, December 4, 2010
S. Power (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unearthly follows Clara, a teenage angel, as she moves to Wyoming to find her Angelic purpose, rescuing a popular boy named Christian. Clara's friends consist of another teenage angel named Angela whose research has given her more knowledge on their kind than Clara's mother has and Wendy whose brother Tucker becomes very important in Clara's life.

I greatly enjoyed this newcomer in the YA paranormal romance Genre. The mystery and mythology was well thought out and interesting. Clara's mother is half blood angel making her only a quarter blood. The romance was surprising and healthy (as opposed to the obsessive relationships that are commonplace in YA) and the mountain setting made for a beautiful backdrop. The ending was final enough to be satisfying but the mythology and mystery leaves the reader excited for the next book in the trilogy.

Appropriateness: The heroine is the type of girl that you would like your daughters to be strong, smart and confident. There is one short scene involving teenage drinking at a party (Clara accepts a mixed drink at a party but does not get drunk) and there is no sexual content outside kissing or any mentions of drug use and the relationships are normal and healthy. The book is appropriate for the entire YA audience.

This book will be enjoyed by readers who enjoyed Halo, Hush, Hush and Fallen

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a decent "angel" book, May 10, 2011
This review is from: Unearthly (Hardcover)
Hush, Hush, who? Halo, what? Fallen, huh?

After reading the catastrophe Hush, Hush, I had pretty much given up on reading any more books involving angels. As far as I was concerned it would be my first and last angel book. I resisted the urge (mostly thanks to my dear Goodreads friend's reviews) to pick up Halo and Fallen, even though they still remain on my TBR shelf. At first glance I thought, "435 pages?! This means 435 pages of misery or 435 pages of awesomeness." Needless to say, I was not very optimistic about this book, demoting it all the way to the bottom of the library book pile. But, I decided to give it a chance. And I can honestly say I'm glad I did. Unearthly will make you forget all about those sad, pathetic excuses for a book about angels. Unearthly is the real deal.

Unearthly tells the story of a 16 year-old girl, Clara, who is 1/4 part angel-blood. The book opens with her discovering her purpose in life. It appears she is destined to save a young boy from a forest fire. So, together with her mother and brother, Jeffery, they pack up their house and home and move from California to Wyoming.

At first glance, you think you have this book figured out. You're thinking, "Ok, I know what's going to happen. She is going to save this dude and they are going to fall in love, yada, yada, yada." And just when you're feeling really clever for single-handedly predicting the outcome of the book, Cynthia Hand shatters your preconceptions. I love a good plot twist and this book exceeded my expectations.

A few things I LOVED about Unearthly:

1. No disappearing parent syndrome. Clara's mother was very much apart of her life. Albeit mysteriously, she is always there to help Clara with succeeding in fulfilling her purpose.

2. Likeable heroine. Not once did I feel irritated at Clara for doing something dumb. She isn't overly whinny or a pathetic damsel.

3. Healthy relationships. You will not find insta-love in this book! No, sir! In fact, I would say Hand may have written one of the best developing relationships I've read in a long time. She let it build up perfectly. By the time our heroine actually falls in love it is believable. As a result, it is much easier to feel Clara's emotions. I could feel myself swooning! Clara isn't overly dependent on her love interest, either. She learns to draw on her own inner strength. Kudoos to Hand for handeling this very well.

If there is one complaint I have, it't that I didn't really like how it ended. It felt akward to me, like it was imcomplete. There are so many unanswered question left in the ending that it almost drove me insane! And to top it off, the next book doesn't come out till next freakin' year!

Anywho....

In conclusion, it pains me to think this book will be compared to Halo, Fallen and Hush, Hush. It's in a higher and better league then them, hands down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow Going..., April 24, 2011
This review is from: Unearthly (Hardcover)
At fourteen, Clara is told by her mother that she is not completely human. That she is actually, part angel. Has wings, a connection to God, and a purpose here on Earth. Shortly, before her seventeenth birthday, the purpose begins to develop, and begins to show Clara just what her purpose will be. These visions all come together, and she and her family must move from California to Wyoming and wait for the big Purpose to be had. But what happens when Clara falls in love, and what happens when her priorities grow skewed?

This book was slow. It felt as though it should have spanned more of a short story range or a novella than a full on novel. It was close to three hundred pages, and yet... I feel... incomplete. The story developed over most of the book, though all that you really did was read about Clara finding friends, falling in love, and settling into life as an angel/new student.

It isn't until the last two chapters that this Purpose we've been waiting for finally comes. And when it does, she's torn between what's right and what isn't. She's torn because things have changed, and there is love afoot. Danger comes in the form of the 'Black Wings' or fallen angels who's wings are... black. Yet, they have no real presence, for such a large threat you only meet one guy twice.

At the end I was disappointed. Hand, set it up for an inevitable sequel, and it could get more interesting, I'm not sure. But I expected more. After hyping up the 'purpose' for the whole book it just fell completely flat. It made no sense and the 'surprise' at the end was no real surprise at all. It was predictable for the most part and I felt that it just didn't reach the potential that was out there waiting for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't get it., March 9, 2012
This review is from: Unearthly (Paperback)
I want to start right off by saying that this was, as far as paranormal romances go, exceptionally good. There was no love-at-first-sight we're destined-to-be-together stuff here, which was refreshing. In fact, the main character chooses to make her own decision over her "destiny", a concept that, in this genre, was a nice change. Her romance with Tucker was believable and healthy. The family dynamics were fun, and I adored her friends, especially Angela.

What I didn't get was that, for a book about angels, this book had remarkably little emphasis on the fact that they were angels. I mean, she has actual wings and her hair glows. Personally, I'd be psyched if that was me, but the things she thinks about most are the normal teenage-girl things. I didn't find that very believable. Finding out you're an angel should turn your world upside-down.

Also, the romance portions read like a non-supernatural romance. They were well-written. They were enjoyable. But I feel like a fantasy novel should focus a little bit more on the fantasy. At times I got the feeling that the angel part of the book was added kind of as an afterthought and didn't really belong with the rest of the story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Insufferable superficial main character ruins the book for me, December 13, 2013
Alistair Crowley (Somewhere, New York) - See all my reviews
I don't understand other people missing these points I'm about to make but they were repeated and blindingly obvious for me and I've never read a more superficial, selfish and incompetent character than Clara. Clara is an angel-blood, faced with a "purpose" that all angel-bloods must accomplish to .... NEVER EXPLAINED really. Except, if you imagine angels are holy/divine/supernatural well you'll soon realize Clara only thinks about: her own looks, people's status at her school and BOYS. Her purpose in life revolves around BOYS. You'd think that angel-bloods have better things to do than get embroiled in the petty world of worrying about boys but you'd be wrong. This book is more of a teenage first romance disguised as a supernatural book. If Clara was more likeable, that would be fine but she's intolerable.

1. Clara whines about her dyed hair because it's "orange." Charming when Anne of Green Gables does it, not charming when an angel-blood who KNOWS EVERY LANGUAGE, is stronger, faster and "smarter" than mere mortals does it. What, you're leagues better than other humans but all you can focus on is your own hair color and what boys think when they see you? She also envies her friend Angela for having normal hair. Her observations are entrenched in petty superficial observations, whining about her LIFE IS THE WORST and how she HATES HER SAD LIFE all because her hair isn't a nice color. Seriously?

2. When she talks to her brother, "And I'm ticked off, ticked off at everything, at my whole crappy life..." all because of her hair color and some other insignificant events I can't help but think she's the most ungrateful character in any book.
-HER FATHER buys her a Prius at the drop of a phone call, he buys her brother cars. How many dads buy their children cars on a whim like that?
-Her mother is stinking rich and they live in a wealthy log cabin house and she goes to a rich school with rich kids and nice facilities.
-NO ONE is in danger or under threat throughout most of the book.
-The worst insult someone gives her is "hot bozo."
-BOTH OF HER PARENTS ARE ALIVE AND WELL.
-She has loving friends (that she does not show any caring for or compassion).
There is literally nothing for her to whine about. She has EVERYTHING: good looks, supernatural powers and a family and friends and yet THE SINGLE FOCUS IS ON HER HAIR. I don't know if the author's personal views rely on looks but I wanted to stab her.

3. Her personality...there is literally nothing that elevates her above normal girls. She is not more compassionate, intelligent, brave or anything. She's good at things because of her angel-blood. But she's selfish and her brother and friend calls her out on it, "not everything's about you." She constantly relies on and wants others to help her with her purpose and becomes sulky and whiny when they can't. Her friend thinks of her birthday but she doesn't even bother sending a gift or wishing her friend a happy birthday. She is careless, NOT compassionate and even insults her friend for being "an invisible." Not only that, when she first moves to Wyoming she bitches about how she's now an invisible and no longer popular. Not only that, she constantly points out who's a have and have-not. Way to go superficial, snob bitch!
Her friend Angela, studies a lot and finds information for herself. Clara just sits around on her ass, asking her mother, not getting anywhere and then gets mad and sulky. A real nice role model there - sitting around doing nothing, not even trying to help yourself and then whining about insignificant matters is someone I can respect. NOT.

4. Her incessant focus on how boys will see her and judge her actions obsessively. Falling down at skiing for the first time? OMG NOW CHRISTIAN WILL LAUGH AND THINK I'M NOT COOL. I HAVE TO LOOK PRETTY FOR THEM. OMG they are so hot. OMG my hair is orange.
When Christian gives Kay a ride home, because Kay is an emotional mess she flips the f out at him like a psychotic crazy person. They weren't even dating or in a relationship or even friends!!! She just asked HIM to prom. He was being the gentleman, and he OFFERED to give her a ride later on. SHE refuses and still gets mad at him. She is CRAY CRAY.

In short, if you want to read about a bland, personality lacking, whiny, petty, superficial and snobby girl in a love triangle by all means but I'm through with this series. No thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical teen angel!, February 28, 2011
Alexia (The Carolina Coast USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Had a little bit of deja vu with this story; teenage angel falls in love with a human boy and doesn't take into consideration how her actions might affect her destiny. Sound familiar? This seems to be an emerging theme lately, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the book. Sometimes it's all about the journey, so even if the path is the same, getting there is still worth it!

Clara is a Quartarius, which means that she's a quarter-angel. Her mother is a Dimidius, or half-angel. In Hand's universe, angels have wings, can fly, and are stronger than ordinary humans. There are other perks and powers to having angel blood, but I don't want to spoil any of the surprises! No mention is made of whether or not Clara's children will have any angelic abilities, as the angel blood power seems to become diluted, with Dimidius being stronger than Quartarius.

A large part of the plot deals with Clara's Purpose, which every angel blood has and is why they were put on Earth. An angel blood's purpose sounds like a pretty big deal and she does get visions, but only in bits and pieces. She is understandably frustrated by this, but I was still a little disappointed that she was willing to gamble with her destiny like she does. And I wish her mom had shared her purpose with us, as Clara and I were both curious.

Not only did I like Clara, but I also liked her new friends! Especially Wendy, who seemed like a really nice girl. Would have liked to have seen more of Clara's brother, as it would be different to see things from a male angel's point of view. Maybe we'll hear his story in a future book?

Gave this one a 4/5 as I enjoyed the story despite the sense of deja vu! Liked the characters, thought it was well-paced, it had an interesting plot, and I'm curious about these characters and what might happen to them next. Think that Cynthia is a very talented writer, and am definitely a new fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Fresh take on Angels, January 20, 2011
This review is from: Unearthly (Hardcover)
By now, my love of angel stories is well established. So it shouldn't come as a shock that I leapt at the chance to read Cynthia Hand's UNEARTHLY last month. What surprised me, though, was Ms. Hand's ability to capture my interest so completely and bring something new and fresh to the table.

UNEARTHLY follows a young girl, Clara, who recently discovered she is a quarter-angel. When she begins having visions of a forest fire and a gorgeous guy, the family packs up and moves to Wyoming so she can fulfill her angelic destiny. When she arrives, she quickly meets Christian, the guy of her dreams (literally), along with Tucker, a cute but rude Cowboy determined to make her life miserable.

Clara tries to find a way to get closer to Christian, but her dyed-orange hair and status as the newcomer doesn't exactly propel her into the in-crowd that Christian inhabits. While she flounders, she befriends Tucker's much nicer twin sister Wendy and eccentric Angela, who is also an angel and guesses Clara's secret. Together, the two of them learn about their strange new world and try to figure out the meaning of Clara's visions before the day of her purpose arrives. Too bad she is distracted by Tucker, who turns out to be a sweetheart and not quite as rough around the edges as she first thought.

When Clara's fateful day of destiny arrives, she is hit with an impossible choice: save the boy she was put on the earth to help, or the boy she has fallen in love with?

Now for my raving. I loved the triangle in this book. Both boys were swoon-worthy, and I honestly kept going back and forth on who I thought she should be with. And while I was happy with Clara's choice in the end, the cliffhanger left me still wondering who I ultimately belived was right for her.

Also, can I just say how much I loved that in this version, it is a girl angel that is the main character! And it isn't her angelic nature that makes her one of my favorite heroines this year. Clara wasn't overly perfect, or loser-like. She rode that happy medium that most of us inhabit, full of fears and hopes, normalish families (well except that whole angel blood thing), bad hair days, embarrassing moments and typical angst. She was sensitive and a warrior rolled into one, and I respected her.

The friendships in this story were believable and really enhanced the plot. I loved how close and realistic the family was with each other. The pacing of the story was perfect. The tension and conflict never seemed forced, and my attention didn't dwindle once, which is saying something considering it is 448 pages! The ending twist was brilliant and cleverly set up the next two books in the series.

I highly recommend this story, but be prepared to turn into a detective, constantly trying to decipher who (if anyone) is evil? Who is truly good? Who do you want Clara to be with? What is her mom hiding? What is up with her brother? What will happen now? And finally, how will I fill my time until the sequel comes out??

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars-I liked the idea of humans with angel heritage who have a heavenly purpose on earth., December 5, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unearthly is suspenseful, features a well meaning heroine 16 year old and has a fascinating paranormal romance and premise. I liked the idea of humans with angel heritage who have a heavenly purpose on earth. This YA, paranormal romance was a light, touching romance that was entertaining to read.

Clara Gardner is a quarter angel. She is one of the angel blood and although her blood is diluted she is beginning to manifest her angelic powers. But along with these powers is her destiny or mission. Each Angel Blood has a purpose and they begin to have strange and mysterious visions. These visions help them understand what their mission or purpose is. In Clara's vision she sees a young boy her age caught in a forest fire and she knows she is meant to save him. When she see his license plate her in her vision, her mother and brother move to Wyoming where he is located. There Clara meets the gorgeous and mysterious boy named Christian and she is immediately smitten. But he has a jealous girlfriend and is oddly aloof. Clara learns more about her heritage and meets some surprising friends. But danger lurks as she also learns about Black Wings, fallen angels who stalk those with angel blood because they want some of their goodness...

This book was fantastic as more of Clara's visions keep being revealed and I wanted to know how her quest would end. The author does a great job of giving tantalizing glimpses that kept me in suspense. It makes this book feel a bit like a mystery story especially since Christian himself is very mysterious and hard to know. Plus Clara's mother knows more than she reveals. And her brother is up to some mischief that I feel may be revealed in a future book. The ending is very surprising and actually has more questions for Clara's and Christian's future. I felt a little let down with the ending because it was so inconclusive, but that just means more books!

I still liked this story a lot because Clara is very down to earth for an angel (ha!) and therefore easy to like. She has insecurities about moving into a new area and fitting in as the new girl especially since she cannot reveal her angelic abilities (which give her more strength, aptitude and natural skill than regular humans) Christian is gorgeous and kind but as I mentioned, kind of aloof. I really didn't feel I got to know him and he sort of felt a bit 1 dimensional compared to the rest of the characters. To add to the mix there is also another guy who has a marked interested in Clara and I would like to know how that will turn out!

This story was easy to read and enjoyable. The mystery behind Clara's angelic mission was suspenseful. I liked the idea of angels helping others and the addition of the deadly fallen angels made it more exciting. The romance was more sweet (nothing dramatic like Twilight).

This was a light and entertaining romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unearthly, November 18, 2013
Clara a girl who is lovely as ever has a secret. She is an angel. Her mom a half angel and her brother a forth angel like herself. Now the time has come for her purpose. She must save this boy, but how? These visions atent perfect and they simply dont give enough to go by at times. One thing Clara knows is that she must leave Cali for a new home up in the mountains. The boy must be here, but where and how can she save him? Well it all unfolds slowly, with some fun times and some not mentionable. Clara makes new friends while her brother Jeff learns to like his new home. Once he starts sports he is fine. Just another normal kid. One thing Clara didnt expect was to make a friend who is also an angel, but with a twist. With this they work together to learn more about angels and anything they can get related to angels. This whole story is magical, filled with an angel story meant to live on forever. This read cant let any reader down, its not possible. Im not a big angel story person, but heck this book was so addicting, i may just read more angel books! I give this book 4.5 stars.

Unearthly
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (Hardcover - January 4, 2011)
$17.99 $14.14