5.0 out of 5 stars Naked people on the cover? It CAN'T be a normal album.
Quite possibly the most unique thing the 2 made together, the story behind this album is that they cut the record the night before they first made love. Hmmmm...Now getting past the nudity, you hear, NOISE! Pure noise, seemingly random, no harmony. I love it, you'll probably hate it, though.
Published on December 4, 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars For John & Yoko Completists
"When two great saints meet, it is a humbling experience." - Paul McCartney

Apart from professing his undying love for Yoko Ono and shocking the world with a full-frontal album cover, it is difficult to see what John Lennon hoped to accomplish with these experimental doodles. It is even more difficult to comprehend why he would trash his artistic integrity...
Published on October 4, 2010 by Scott T. Rivers

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed but SATISFIED, November 8, 2000
truelibra (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unfinished Music 1: Two Virgins (Audio CD)
You will enjoy owning this album IF: 1) You are an absolute Lennon fan (of his music and ideas) 2) and you enjoy (or can at least tolerate) experimental music. Why? This disk has no songs, just random sounds (like "Revolution 9"). The sounds aren't amazing, nor disturbing, but it is an interesting collage of sound. It's notable that this is one of the first ambient recordings ever recorded and an extremely bold move by Lennon. At the time, he was at the pinnacle of his fame and had recently divorced his wife for Ono. For him to put out an album of noise with a stark naked cover was outrageous. Basically, this was Lennon giving "the finger" to the artistic trappings of his fame. And it's a great COLLECTORS ITEM now, nothing more. I'm glad I bought it.

3.0 out of 5 stars chemcial enhancement required-Lenono's comedy LP, February 5, 2008
This review is from: Unfinished Music 1: Two Virgins (Audio CD)
The only way to hear this is with the aid of a certain herb and a bottle of red wine,(or two).Then it all becomes crystal clear-this is a comedy record disguised as avant-garde musique.
Hear Lennon impersonate his "favorite instructors" from his school days:then he goes into some discordant,dissonant piano riff.
I can't listen to this in a normal state-it is unedurable,but in the right "frame of mind" it opens up and let's us in on the joke these two miscreants played on the world-starting with the album cover.
The precious Beatle waving his tallywhacker at the world-that alone should clue one in to the fact that this record is a big put-on.;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars history, August 23, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Unfinished Music 1: Two Virgins (Audio CD)
Not exactly music, this was recorded the same night that John and Yoko first made love; hence, the title _Two Virgins_. While it is possible to decipher an occasional melody, usually on piano, the real interest on this recording is not its melodic qualities, but rather its purely sonic moments. Listen with your eyes closed and imagine the two of them in love, engaged in the art of creation. Bizarre, beautiful stuff.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh, please...!, September 29, 2006
This review is from: Unfinished Music 1: Two Virgins (Audio CD)
This album rates one star only, and that for its historical context. While other reviews tout it for some remarkable reasons (proving only that there are folks out there who can indeed find something in nothing), the bottom line is that, from a musical standpoint, this is pure [...], plain and simple. John and Yoko fool around with recording equipment, treating the attentive listener to such mind bending treats as flatulance. The only reason the album garnered attention in the first place was the nude photograph of John and Yoko on the cover - the album was sold in a brown wrapper as a result, and the discerning buyer will take that a step further as a warning that the album's contents should be left under wraps as well. I own an original vinyl version - purchased soley as a collectible. I listened to it & was astonished by both the worthless content and the headache it gave me. Buy vinyl if you can find it as a collectible. Save your money and select a different Lennon CD. Unless you like a splitting headache...

1.0 out of 5 stars King's new clothes, August 17, 2000
This review is from: Unfinished Music 1: Two Virgins (Audio CD)
This is not a good experimental album. My sister and I made better stuff using a guitar, a box of nails, some wooden sticks and a couple of pots and pans when we we're about 10 years old. Play this album first and then listen to Revolution 9 on the White Album, and the latter seem like a masterpiece, both in production and ideas. You might want this because of the historic value (or maybe because of the cover?), but not for the "music". I got my copy cheap, so I'm not that dissapointed. For serious Beatles/Lennon/Ono-fans only... and they are actually nude on the cover!

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice CD, but very different to mainstream Lennon material, August 29, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Unfinished Music 1: Two Virgins (Audio CD)
A lot of people will be tempted to buy "Two Virgins" just because John Lennon's name is on the cover. If you're looking for something structured melodic, though, go elsewhere and buy a more conventional Lennon title. Two Virgins is an experimental album, made by John and Yoko around the time they first met. It contains some of the strangest (although not unpleasant) music you are likely to hear, as Lennon and Ono experiment with tape loops, pianos, bells, tin cans, old jazz records and guitars (untuned, of course). It bears more resemblance to a Yoko album, such as "Yoko Ono / Plastic Ono band", than a John album. If you're not deterred by avant-garde, experimental music such as this, give "Two Virgins" a try - you just might like it. I do. Lots.

1.0 out of 5 stars The real effect of this..., August 23, 2012
This review is from: Unfinished Music 1: Two Virgins (Audio CD)
What is being lost in this discussion of Two Virgins is the effect it had on the White album. For those of us who were teens then, there was a lot of confusion about the two albums with both being released at about the same time. First came Two Virgins and the very bad press it got in a much more conservative world, ie our parents. Everyone thought that the album that came out with a nude John and Yoko was the new Beatle album. It got pulled out of the stores, then came rapid fire the real White album and the Two Virgins in the brown wrap. So a lot us thought we were getting the nude album now with no cover, simply The Beatles. Well the damage was done. You have to think about the times, our parents thought that the Beatles were clean cut and okay. Well we got the White album and it pushed the sexual envelope with some of the songs and the insert. I can tell you I caught in the cross fire when I bought the White album. I had to play it late at night. That was the real effect of Two Virgins. When we did find out what it was really about, we really didn't want to have anything to do with it. I guess as a true collector you might want to have it, but you have revolution #9 on the White album and that is as close I want get to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the mainstream fan, July 19, 2004
Z. D. Houghton (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unfinished Music 1: Two Virgins (Audio CD)
Fans of John Lennon and Yoko Ono alike can agree that this was by far their poorest collective effort. I understand that expirimentation is required for music to progress, but that by no means makes it a good album.
Listening to this recording will expose people to bizarre vocal whistles, grunts, and miscellania from both Ono and Lennon. Any background music is seemingly both incidental and random. I apologize to any Yoko fans, but her wailing here does nothing but annoy. The recordings are also generaly of a poor quality, having not been recorded in an official studio of any sort.
Lennon partisans and musical historians might want to take notice of this album. Otherwise, Let It Be.

1.0 out of 5 stars Trash, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Unfinished Music 1: Two Virgins (Audio CD)
I bought this on cassette years ago. I thought it was a MUSICAL album, cover aside. What I found inside was nothing but noise. It is a shame that John and Yoko felt compelled to push this bunch of junk on an unsuspecting public and charge for it at that! The only good thing about the cover is that it prevented this album for being displayed or sold in any great quantities. If it had a "tamer" cover, more people might have spent their hard earned money on this garbage. John was a talented man. This is a sad chapter in his musical life.

I tried to rate this zero stars, but I couldn't so I gave it one.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is..., August 21, 2002
This review is from: Unfinished Music 1: Two Virgins (Audio CD)
And that's the point! I, for one, think it's just...well, I love it. "Remember Love", the bonus track, is one of the most beautiful songs I know. If you love John & Yoko, this is just "it". Some people don't get it...but if you're not clueless, and apply yourself, I promise you you'll see the point. The people who take it the wrong way are only expecting it to be something it isn't.
hehe...I love the cover. ;^)

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›