5.0 out of 5 stars She dares to reveal the 'messy' truth...thankfully!
Published on August 15, 2012 by Lori Bonn

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter
I found this book to be slow from the start and not as challenging as I had hoped for my group until we hit chapter 7. From there through the epilogue we were greatly engaged in meaningful discussion and prayer. I'm glad we hung in there. Thus the three star rating.
Published 21 months ago by mary c. goldring

5.0 out of 5 stars She dares to reveal the 'messy' truth...thankfully!, August 15, 2012
This review is from: Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions (Paperback)
If you've ever felt unimpressed or defeated when those Christmas letters come piling in, informing you that Johnny got straight A's, and Suzie just got a full scholarship, and 'that' family has a well oiled ship running over in their neck of the woods...then you might just love this book! Lysa doesn't put on a facade that she's got this thing called 'life' all tied up with a nice little bow. She bravely uncovers her current struggles and has you laughing at the crazy that goes on in each of our households, she just dares to say it out loud! Refreshing! Who wouldn't want a 'real' friend like that telling you like it is? A 'what you see is what you get' kind of girl, but with some solid answers straight from the giver of life Himself. She has an engaging way of inviting you to be more authentic as you share your life with those in your circle. The more transparent we are with others, the more magnetic we become. She says, "What happens in between the smiling snapshots of life isn't all pretty. I'm willing to admit that. And I love my friends who are brave enough to admit the messy stuff as well." I'm grateful that I had received an advanced copy of part of this book to review, and I chuckle at the things we all tend to come unglued over(the basic dog throw up, towels, broken computers...the list goes on.) Run out and grab a copy, help is on the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great book/tool!!, August 7, 2012
Unglued is so incredibly helpful! I have found myself pulling it out again and again.

The other day I got an email that was about to make me come UNGLUED. :) Before I responded, I remembered this statement from the book:

"I may not be gentle by nature but I can be gentle by obedience."

When I replied back to this person, I prayed through my words and realized that because of God, I always have that gentleness inside me. I felt empowered to respond back in a gentle way.

Lysa is so authentic in this book. Her wisdom has helped me understand how to deal with conflict, difficult relationships and how to not let things like an email ruin my day.

This book will challenge you! Must read!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hothead in You Explained!, June 23, 2013
Is it obvious what attracted me to this book besides the lack of cost? Unglued is easily a word I can use to describe myself. Being an organized, detailed person, who thinks ahead and puts much thought into everything, the littlest things will tick me off. And I don't mean, oh I'm getting mad. It's more like instant boiling anger in the form of yelling and iffy language. Yes, everyone has their moments, but mine were daily and concentrated on my husband and kids. For a long time I just did what I could because it didn't seem there was anything I could do, the raw emotion was so instantaneous.

Then I read Unglued and TerKeurst's explanations of how people's emotions work stuck with me. I have a combination of two types she discusses. With my family I am what she calls an exploder. Exploders hold nothing back. But, I knew that wasn't all of it because with friends, even if I do get mad, I don't explode on them. The other half of my personality is what TerKeurst calls stuffer. I stuff all negative emotions when dealing with friends and acquaintances and ignore them for as long as possible. Eventually a stuffer's feelings will explode, but it usually takes time. I found that I would take my stuffed feelings home and explode there. Why we take advantage of the ones we love most is beyond me.

Unglued talks about other types of people as well as the negative consequences of raw emotion that you might not see coming. It really opened my eyes and although I don't always think in time to stop myself, I realize as I begin to rant or stuff that I need to stop and think. This is absolutely progress for me - "imperfect progress" as TerKeurst would say, but still progress.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter, March 18, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped me find my calm!, January 20, 2014
I can see myself re-reading this in the future, but found myself calming even while reading it. By the time I got to the end, my hubby and I were closer and I found myself not feeling as over-whelmed. I am a mom to a toddler and can only imagine those with more than one child could especially use this book! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed this book 10 years ago, September 22, 2013
From the first chapter and through out the entire book, the words on the pages resonated with my life. I have always described or been described as someone who is very passionate about what she believes, very "real" and "tell it like it is" girl. And I have worn these titles like badges of honor but also while struggling with not wanting to be that way. I have lost many friendships and opportunities for friendships because of the inability to balance both truth and godliness. Now with my children, I see my explosive temperament coming out in them and there is no more time for me to ignore this inability to control my emotions. I read this book with a hunger and a fresh breath of freedom. I hope you too will embrace the adjustments that Lysa so clearly laid out in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great message!, August 7, 2012
The author agrees with me, every woman has those moments where she is frustrated with everything that is happening around her! You want to change your attitude or reaction but you feel like it just doesn't get any better. This book is about ways to accept that there will be no over night change and that we are all a work in progress.

The author calls this progress imperfect progress because we are moving forward in changing ourselves but there is no automatic change. We need to remember that we are seeking some kind of progress towards an attitude change not an instant change.

The best message from this book is that God made you. He does not give up on you and will always love you, even if you do still have a wrong attitude and react badly on certain days. Just keep improving and you will continue to grow spiritually.

I gave this book 4/5 stars because I liked the concept of the book but felt it fell a little flat when presenting what the author considered solutions to our frustrating moments.

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for the copy of this book I enjoyed reading. I gave an honest review based on my opinion of what I read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Relevant, August 15, 2012
I am finding Unglued to be one of the most relevant things I've every read. We all have regrets when it comes to acting on our emotions, but through the truths of God's Word Lysa offers solutions that she is working through herself.

I have heard Lysa speak twice. Few people stick out to me as being so sincere and having such an influence in my life. Her love for Jesus is inspiring and her struggles are relatable because she is open and makes herself vulnerable.

This book is a blessing.

2.0 out of 5 stars seriously?, January 9, 2014
Where is her husband? She has 5 children & he's never around to help. I find myself very frustrated with her. She doesn't follow her own counsel & she worries (by whatever method she's describing) over the most trivial issues. I seriously question her credentials. She tries to impress others with her knowledge & wisdom & her attempt @ humor falls flat. If you've had major stress in you life, no family, no friends, no study group, Pastor, or therapist, this book may help. Otherwise, I don't recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! God had already set me on a path ..., September 10, 2014
Awesome! God had already set me on a path to realize that I needed to renew my mind in order to have freedom in Him. This book really pushed me forward in that. Thank you Lysa TerKeurst for being so honest & real about your own life. I finally felt like I wasn't alone...that there were others who absolutely understood and were overcoming the same obstacles, in Jesus' Name!

Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions
Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions by Lysa TerKeurst (Paperback - August 7, 2012)
$16.99 $13.72