5.0 out of 5 stars She dares to reveal the 'messy' truth...thankfully!
Published on August 15, 2012 by Lori Bonn

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter
I found this book to be slow from the start and not as challenging as I had hoped for my group until we hit chapter 7. From there through the epilogue we were greatly engaged in meaningful discussion and prayer. I'm glad we hung in there. Thus the three star rating.
Published 22 months ago by mary c. goldring

5.0 out of 5 stars She dares to reveal the 'messy' truth...thankfully!, August 15, 2012
This review is from: Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions (Paperback)
If you've ever felt unimpressed or defeated when those Christmas letters come piling in, informing you that Johnny got straight A's, and Suzie just got a full scholarship, and 'that' family has a well oiled ship running over in their neck of the woods...then you might just love this book! Lysa doesn't put on a facade that she's got this thing called 'life' all tied up with a nice little bow. She bravely uncovers her current struggles and has you laughing at the crazy that goes on in each of our households, she just dares to say it out loud! Refreshing! Who wouldn't want a 'real' friend like that telling you like it is? A 'what you see is what you get' kind of girl, but with some solid answers straight from the giver of life Himself. She has an engaging way of inviting you to be more authentic as you share your life with those in your circle. The more transparent we are with others, the more magnetic we become. She says, "What happens in between the smiling snapshots of life isn't all pretty. I'm willing to admit that. And I love my friends who are brave enough to admit the messy stuff as well." I'm grateful that I had received an advanced copy of part of this book to review, and I chuckle at the things we all tend to come unglued over(the basic dog throw up, towels, broken computers...the list goes on.) Run out and grab a copy, help is on the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great book/tool!!, August 7, 2012
Unglued is so incredibly helpful! I have found myself pulling it out again and again.

The other day I got an email that was about to make me come UNGLUED. :) Before I responded, I remembered this statement from the book:

"I may not be gentle by nature but I can be gentle by obedience."

When I replied back to this person, I prayed through my words and realized that because of God, I always have that gentleness inside me. I felt empowered to respond back in a gentle way.

Lysa is so authentic in this book. Her wisdom has helped me understand how to deal with conflict, difficult relationships and how to not let things like an email ruin my day.

This book will challenge you! Must read!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hothead in You Explained!, June 23, 2013
Is it obvious what attracted me to this book besides the lack of cost? Unglued is easily a word I can use to describe myself. Being an organized, detailed person, who thinks ahead and puts much thought into everything, the littlest things will tick me off. And I don't mean, oh I'm getting mad. It's more like instant boiling anger in the form of yelling and iffy language. Yes, everyone has their moments, but mine were daily and concentrated on my husband and kids. For a long time I just did what I could because it didn't seem there was anything I could do, the raw emotion was so instantaneous.

Then I read Unglued and TerKeurst's explanations of how people's emotions work stuck with me. I have a combination of two types she discusses. With my family I am what she calls an exploder. Exploders hold nothing back. But, I knew that wasn't all of it because with friends, even if I do get mad, I don't explode on them. The other half of my personality is what TerKeurst calls stuffer. I stuff all negative emotions when dealing with friends and acquaintances and ignore them for as long as possible. Eventually a stuffer's feelings will explode, but it usually takes time. I found that I would take my stuffed feelings home and explode there. Why we take advantage of the ones we love most is beyond me.

Unglued talks about other types of people as well as the negative consequences of raw emotion that you might not see coming. It really opened my eyes and although I don't always think in time to stop myself, I realize as I begin to rant or stuff that I need to stop and think. This is absolutely progress for me - "imperfect progress" as TerKeurst would say, but still progress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed this book 10 years ago, September 22, 2013
From the first chapter and through out the entire book, the words on the pages resonated with my life. I have always described or been described as someone who is very passionate about what she believes, very "real" and "tell it like it is" girl. And I have worn these titles like badges of honor but also while struggling with not wanting to be that way. I have lost many friendships and opportunities for friendships because of the inability to balance both truth and godliness. Now with my children, I see my explosive temperament coming out in them and there is no more time for me to ignore this inability to control my emotions. I read this book with a hunger and a fresh breath of freedom. I hope you too will embrace the adjustments that Lysa so clearly laid out in this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter, March 18, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped me find my calm!, January 20, 2014
I can see myself re-reading this in the future, but found myself calming even while reading it. By the time I got to the end, my hubby and I were closer and I found myself not feeling as over-whelmed. I am a mom to a toddler and can only imagine those with more than one child could especially use this book! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reeling in the Emotions, September 18, 2013
How often do you feel like your dirty laundry list of bad behaviors is just piling up and piling up? Now how often do you feel like you have tangible solutions to help you overcome those behaviors? Right....almost never. Me too. I've read so many Christian books about parenting, marriage, and daily living that help me identify all the areas where I am lacking but very few of them give advice to overcome those behaviors. I need more than scripture, I need more than extra prayer time, I need more than a study group. All of those are FANTASTIC resources and certainly helpful but sometimes I just need more. Lysa TerKeurst gives more. I put the cart before the horse here and read the Unglued Devotional awhile back. It was great. Guess what's even better? The book Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions. For reals.

Reading this book is like talking to a good friend. An open, honest friend who is laying it all out on the table. In fact I've been able to have some terrific conversations with some friends who are reading through this book too. I haven't spoken to anyone yet that isn't LOVING this book. So let me give you the low down. Do you ever just come apart? Do you ever have a moment where your emotions are controlling you rather than you controlling your emotions? We all do, right? Do you feel good about it afterwards? I sure don't. TerKeurst identifies 4 ways we deal with things: exploders who blame, exploders who shame, stuffers who build barriers, and stuffers who collect retaliation rocks. As you can probably tell from the titles, none of these are positive ways to deal with conflict. Join Lysa's journey of imperfect progress. See if you can make your own imperfect progress. Check out her formulas and plans of action to see if they can help you as much as I feel like they will help me.

Really this couldn't have come at a better time for me. My stress level has been OFF THE CHARTS for the last few months. I'm having a hard time just functioning. I like to keep things together and lately I just can't. I've got too much going on. Life is busy and messy and my year's motto of avoiding "TOO MUCH" just doesn't seem to be working. It's all too much and all we can do is keep praying and pushing through. Of course I'm stuffing and exploding all over the place. I don't like it and I don't like myself. I'm tired and I want to handle things the right way, not make them worse. I appreciate God bringing me the blessing of this book at such a time as this. I recommend Unglued wholeheartedly to every woman-young, old, married, single.

I received a free copy of this book for the purpose of review from Booksneeze. All opinions are my own and I want not required to write a positive review.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Such A Time As This, April 8, 2013
When I first watched the video and listened to Lysa talk about Her HAIR ! I thought how shallow have we become as a people?
There are so much bigger problems in the world than worrying about our hair!

But then I started reading the book and reading the devotional, and I find myself on every page.

And I have a teenager. Its easy to come unglued with a teenager.. forget the Hair! Lysa talked about, teenagers can figure out ways to push our buttons in other ways. And my daughter pushes my buttons deliberately, just to watch me come unglued.

Last night after a coming unglued moment with my husband and my teen, I picked up the devotional and tried to read it, but I couldn't because I had so many tears streaming down my face. The devotional hit the nail on the head, precisely written, for that very moment ... it is amazing how God is so there, at just the right moment.

This book may be boring, or not what a reader expected ( some of the reviews I read here),

but I have to wonder in this present day in which we live, being assaulted on every side by all kinds of stressors and situations, if Lysa has not written a really timely book, for such a time as this.

She calls it Unglued, but how bout road rage ? or the rudeness of people lately? being cut off in lines, and just discourtesy everywhere. How about blatant dishonesty and disrespectful behavior.. entitlement mentality.. just stuff that we are assaulted with every day, continuously, unending stressors that sneak in under the wire until enough is enough? No wonder we come unglued.

Every time I pick up Lysa's books, especially this Unglued set of books & video, every time, they speaks right to me and to my moment, and the situation I happen to be going through. God knew this when He helped Lysa write these books. He knew we would need some help. I am thankful.

Some reviewers complain because there is too much religion in these books. Religious books? No, God is not a religion. Man makes religion, God just is. And He holds everything together to help us when we come Unglued.

I just wanted to write this because maybe you feel like you are coming unglued. Maybe you feel like things are falling apart.
These books by Lysa aren't rocket science, but its in the little moments of our lives, in the words on the pages that help me bring things back down to manageable and realize " the world isn't coming to an end today, it's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Relevant, August 15, 2012
I am finding Unglued to be one of the most relevant things I've every read. We all have regrets when it comes to acting on our emotions, but through the truths of God's Word Lysa offers solutions that she is working through herself.

I have heard Lysa speak twice. Few people stick out to me as being so sincere and having such an influence in my life. Her love for Jesus is inspiring and her struggles are relatable because she is open and makes herself vulnerable.

This book is a blessing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great message!, August 7, 2012
The author agrees with me, every woman has those moments where she is frustrated with everything that is happening around her! You want to change your attitude or reaction but you feel like it just doesn't get any better. This book is about ways to accept that there will be no over night change and that we are all a work in progress.

The author calls this progress imperfect progress because we are moving forward in changing ourselves but there is no automatic change. We need to remember that we are seeking some kind of progress towards an attitude change not an instant change.

The best message from this book is that God made you. He does not give up on you and will always love you, even if you do still have a wrong attitude and react badly on certain days. Just keep improving and you will continue to grow spiritually.

I gave this book 4/5 stars because I liked the concept of the book but felt it fell a little flat when presenting what the author considered solutions to our frustrating moments.

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for the copy of this book I enjoyed reading. I gave an honest review based on my opinion of what I read.

Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions
Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions by Lysa TerKeurst (Paperback - August 7, 2012)
$16.99 $13.72