Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 23, 2013
Is it obvious what attracted me to this book besides the lack of cost? Unglued is easily a word I can use to describe myself. Being an organized, detailed person, who thinks ahead and puts much thought into everything, the littlest things will tick me off. And I don't mean, oh I'm getting mad. It's more like instant boiling anger in the form of yelling and iffy language. Yes, everyone has their moments, but mine were daily and concentrated on my husband and kids. For a long time I just did what I could because it didn't seem there was anything I could do, the raw emotion was so instantaneous.

Then I read Unglued and TerKeurst's explanations of how people's emotions work stuck with me. I have a combination of two types she discusses. With my family I am what she calls an exploder. Exploders hold nothing back. But, I knew that wasn't all of it because with friends, even if I do get mad, I don't explode on them. The other half of my personality is what TerKeurst calls stuffer. I stuff all negative emotions when dealing with friends and acquaintances and ignore them for as long as possible. Eventually a stuffer's feelings will explode, but it usually takes time. I found that I would take my stuffed feelings home and explode there. Why we take advantage of the ones we love most is beyond me.

Unglued talks about other types of people as well as the negative consequences of raw emotion that you might not see coming. It really opened my eyes and although I don't always think in time to stop myself, I realize as I begin to rant or stuff that I need to stop and think. This is absolutely progress for me - "imperfect progress" as TerKeurst would say, but still progress.
22 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2012
If you've ever felt unimpressed or defeated when those Christmas letters come piling in, informing you that Johnny got straight A's, and Suzie just got a full scholarship, and 'that' family has a well oiled ship running over in their neck of the woods...then you might just love this book! Lysa doesn't put on a facade that she's got this thing called 'life' all tied up with a nice little bow. She bravely uncovers her current struggles and has you laughing at the crazy that goes on in each of our households, she just dares to say it out loud! Refreshing! Who wouldn't want a 'real' friend like that telling you like it is? A 'what you see is what you get' kind of girl, but with some solid answers straight from the giver of life Himself. She has an engaging way of inviting you to be more authentic as you share your life with those in your circle. The more transparent we are with others, the more magnetic we become. She says, "What happens in between the smiling snapshots of life isn't all pretty. I'm willing to admit that. And I love my friends who are brave enough to admit the messy stuff as well." I'm grateful that I had received an advanced copy of part of this book to review, and I chuckle at the things we all tend to come unglued over(the basic dog throw up, towels, broken computers...the list goes on.) Run out and grab a copy, help is on the way!
44 comments|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2012
Unglued is so incredibly helpful! I have found myself pulling it out again and again.

The other day I got an email that was about to make me come UNGLUED. :) Before I responded, I remembered this statement from the book:

"I may not be gentle by nature but I can be gentle by obedience."

When I replied back to this person, I prayed through my words and realized that because of God, I always have that gentleness inside me. I felt empowered to respond back in a gentle way.

Lysa is so authentic in this book. Her wisdom has helped me understand how to deal with conflict, difficult relationships and how to not let things like an email ruin my day.

This book will challenge you! Must read!!!!
11 comment|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2013
When I first watched the video and listened to Lysa talk about Her HAIR ! I thought how shallow have we become as a people?
There are so much bigger problems in the world than worrying about our hair!

But then I started reading the book and reading the devotional, and I find myself on every page.

And I have a teenager. Its easy to come unglued with a teenager.. forget the Hair! Lysa talked about, teenagers can figure out ways to push our buttons in other ways. And my daughter pushes my buttons deliberately, just to watch me come unglued.

Last night after a coming unglued moment with my husband and my teen, I picked up the devotional and tried to read it, but I couldn't because I had so many tears streaming down my face. The devotional hit the nail on the head, precisely written, for that very moment ... it is amazing how God is so there, at just the right moment.

This book may be boring, or not what a reader expected ( some of the reviews I read here),

but I have to wonder in this present day in which we live, being assaulted on every side by all kinds of stressors and situations, if Lysa has not written a really timely book, for such a time as this.

She calls it Unglued, but how bout road rage ? or the rudeness of people lately? being cut off in lines, and just discourtesy everywhere. How about blatant dishonesty and disrespectful behavior.. entitlement mentality.. just stuff that we are assaulted with every day, continuously, unending stressors that sneak in under the wire until enough is enough? No wonder we come unglued.

Every time I pick up Lysa's books, especially this Unglued set of books & video, every time, they speaks right to me and to my moment, and the situation I happen to be going through. God knew this when He helped Lysa write these books. He knew we would need some help. I am thankful.

Some reviewers complain because there is too much religion in these books. Religious books? No, God is not a religion. Man makes religion, God just is. And He holds everything together to help us when we come Unglued.

I just wanted to write this because maybe you feel like you are coming unglued. Maybe you feel like things are falling apart.
These books by Lysa aren't rocket science, but its in the little moments of our lives, in the words on the pages that help me bring things back down to manageable and realize " the world isn't coming to an end today, it's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz
on September 22, 2013
From the first chapter and through out the entire book, the words on the pages resonated with my life. I have always described or been described as someone who is very passionate about what she believes, very "real" and "tell it like it is" girl. And I have worn these titles like badges of honor but also while struggling with not wanting to be that way. I have lost many friendships and opportunities for friendships because of the inability to balance both truth and godliness. Now with my children, I see my explosive temperament coming out in them and there is no more time for me to ignore this inability to control my emotions. I read this book with a hunger and a fresh breath of freedom. I hope you too will embrace the adjustments that Lysa so clearly laid out in this book.
on March 21, 2015
I got this book because I am the caregiver of a very difficult family member who's disposition can bring even the most joy filled person down. I've lost my patience and raised my voice (or, become "unglued") with her too many times to count. I know it's not the response the Lord would want from me and I was hoping that the equipping this book claims to provide on handling this kind of situation would be based on Biblical principles. I was wrong.

The book is filled with the author's life stories and situations of coming unglued, and her own strategies on how to deal with it. I understand the use of some personal examples, but her stories are the majority of the book and not really any I could relate to. There are some scriptures thrown in here and there. Even so, the scriptures are not what this book as a whole was built on or around and that was disappointing. I will give credit though to Chapter 7 that finally uses scripture from 2 Chronicles 20 as the basis of a 5 step "procedure manual" in dealing with unnerving situations. This was the one and only place I could take to heart what I was reading and feel comfortable applying it to my life. However, even when scripture was used, I still got a "works based" tone from her elaboration rather than walking by the Spirit. As a matter of fact, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't once remember reading the scripture about the fruits of the spirit being love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control (Galatians 5:22-23). Sure I can "purpose in my heart" to be these things, but how? Not by my own purposing or planning, that's for sure. I cannot count on my flesh. In addition, some of her advice was based on Biblical views, but no scripture was given to give credit where credit is due. For example, in the last chapter, she talks about how outward unglued expressions reveal brokenness internally. This is true, for the Lord said: "...for the mouth speaks what the heart is full of" (Luke 6:45) in reference to bringing forth what is good and evil. I bring this up because I want to be pointed to the Lord, not just a rewording of what He teaches leaving Him completely out of the equation. Someone who does not already know this truth for themselves would never know where that truth came from! As for my own specific situation, the two pages actually devoted to dealing with difficult people just advises you to cut off those toxic relationships. Well, I can't very well do that when I am this person's caregiver.

One other thing that bothered me enough to mention is the story of Peter in Chapter 3. She talks about Peter who went from denying the Lord to boldly proclaiming His name. The reason she gives for Peter's dramatic change is the Lord's "chiseling" of Peter before His death and after His resurrection. The real reason for Peters boldness in the book of Acts though, is because the Holy Spirit had come upon him and that was never mentioned or given credit. I just felt the Holy Spirit's mention was completely lost in this book in general. We can't do anything on our own, it is only in walking by the Spirit. "So I say, walk by the Spirit and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh" (Galatians 5:16)

So, in conclusion, if you don't mind the lack of biblical guidance or application and are okay with a self-help type book with some scriptures throughout, you may like this. If you're looking for truly sound, biblical guidance, then I would pass on this one. (As a side note, the reason I expected more of a biblically based book is because I'm very familiar with P31 (Bible based) Ministries and this isn't just some random author's book on emotions. It is a Christian authors book).
on September 18, 2013
How often do you feel like your dirty laundry list of bad behaviors is just piling up and piling up? Now how often do you feel like you have tangible solutions to help you overcome those behaviors? Right....almost never. Me too. I've read so many Christian books about parenting, marriage, and daily living that help me identify all the areas where I am lacking but very few of them give advice to overcome those behaviors. I need more than scripture, I need more than extra prayer time, I need more than a study group. All of those are FANTASTIC resources and certainly helpful but sometimes I just need more. Lysa TerKeurst gives more. I put the cart before the horse here and read the Unglued Devotional awhile back. It was great. Guess what's even better? The book Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions. For reals.

Reading this book is like talking to a good friend. An open, honest friend who is laying it all out on the table. In fact I've been able to have some terrific conversations with some friends who are reading through this book too. I haven't spoken to anyone yet that isn't LOVING this book. So let me give you the low down. Do you ever just come apart? Do you ever have a moment where your emotions are controlling you rather than you controlling your emotions? We all do, right? Do you feel good about it afterwards? I sure don't. TerKeurst identifies 4 ways we deal with things: exploders who blame, exploders who shame, stuffers who build barriers, and stuffers who collect retaliation rocks. As you can probably tell from the titles, none of these are positive ways to deal with conflict. Join Lysa's journey of imperfect progress. See if you can make your own imperfect progress. Check out her formulas and plans of action to see if they can help you as much as I feel like they will help me.

Really this couldn't have come at a better time for me. My stress level has been OFF THE CHARTS for the last few months. I'm having a hard time just functioning. I like to keep things together and lately I just can't. I've got too much going on. Life is busy and messy and my year's motto of avoiding "TOO MUCH" just doesn't seem to be working. It's all too much and all we can do is keep praying and pushing through. Of course I'm stuffing and exploding all over the place. I don't like it and I don't like myself. I'm tired and I want to handle things the right way, not make them worse. I appreciate God bringing me the blessing of this book at such a time as this. I recommend Unglued wholeheartedly to every woman-young, old, married, single.

I received a free copy of this book for the purpose of review from Booksneeze. All opinions are my own and I want not required to write a positive review.
on March 18, 2013
I found this book to be slow from the start and not as challenging as I had hoped for my group until we hit chapter 7. From there through the epilogue we were greatly engaged in meaningful discussion and prayer. I'm glad we hung in there. Thus the three star rating.
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2013
Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions by Lysa TerKeurst is one of those books that you can't put down once you start reading it. The author is transparent in sharing personal stories of things that cause her anger and how she allows the Holy Spirit to correct and guide her. She solves the problem of dealing with her strong emotions, while at the same time remaining true to her Christian beliefs. This book is funny, uplifting, and informative...but most of all the book is encouraging for anyone who might struggle with anger. The book reads more like a conversation with a friend...and for this reason it's widely popular. Lysa writes, "Sure, I will still be vulnerable to coming unglued. Even after reading this book, you will too. Every one of us is susceptible to unpredictable emotions, hormonally influenced emotions. That being said, I still want to equip myself in every way possible to stay out of the emotional fray. I want to stay in the flow of God's power and participate in His divine nature." Then she shares her "Biblical Procedure Manuel" for confronting those times when she feels she just might come unglued! The book is fun to read and also filled with wisdom. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

I purchased this book and also received the ebook free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
on June 20, 2016
I did this study when it came out in 2012 and reread it while going through a trying time. We purchased this copy for a young friend who was struggling. If you've ever wondered why you react the way you do, this book will help explain that. If you've ever wanted a better way of dealing with situations that take you to the edge, this book will help draw the road map. This book helped solidify in me something God had been showing me for many years. I am very passionate about Him, my husband, and my children. He gave me that passion so I could live the life I lead and it is a good thing. However, I can glorify Him with it, or I can misrepresent Him. This book helps you learn how to control your reactions while responding to situation in a way that brings God glory.