Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 25, 2003
This coloring book contains pictures of some very unusual unicorns along with text describing each one. The pictures are fairly detailed. My nine-year-old loved this book both for the variety of unicorns represented and for the information about each one. Gel pens are particularly useful in coloring the small spaces in several of the pictures. The book plus a set of the pens would make a nice gift. I would not recommend this book for the under six set due to the high level of detail in some of the pictures. However, this is the very reason older kids will love it.
on September 20, 2012
This was an impulse buy and I didn't read the reviews which is something I almost never do and I certainly learned my lesson here. The picture and title are very misleading. Many of the pictures are of other animals with horns and none of them are the girly pretty pictures I was thinking when I handed it to my little daughter. I would say if the book is for someone into mythology and creatures this would be a good book but most of those children are older and don't like to color as much. Just look through the inside first and see if it is what you are looking for. The illustrations are fairly decent and there is a little blurb on each page.
on March 29, 2010
I bought this for my daughters who are 4 and 6 and they enjoyed this coloring book. It is printed on nice heavy white paper and has nice illustrations. This book is geared for older children, but my daughters are very obsessed with coloring and did fine with it. My only disappointment was that some of the pictures weren't of unicorns, but rather other animals with a horn. My kids did not want to color the one-horned dinosaur or the narwhal. They are unicorn obsessed at the moment and just wanted to color unicorns.
on December 30, 2011
I have bought several of these coloring books. I find that somehow little girls appear at my house with their mothers and, though, the mothers and I enjoy talking, the little girls (age 6-16) tend to become bored with adult conversation that is in no way related to their world. Usually, the girls are quite well mannered, but I "just know" they are bored out of their minds, so I go find a coloring book and crayons and send them into the dining room to color. Once there, they can use this coloring book as pathway back to their magical world and the mom and I can have our own boring adult conversation in peace.
The book provides pictures to color, but also shows what countries believed in unicorns and what the unicorns looked like in the folklore of any given country. The pictures are large and easy for small ones to color, but frequently, the background features are very intricate and hold the interest of the older ones. I believe it has 32 pages.
Some children color a page or two and leave with no attachment to the book. But most, over about age 8, become involved in the folklore and look at me imploringly when it is time to put up the crayons and the book. Once the crayons, I have all sorts, are safely put away, I usually let an imploring child take the book with her. I have lost 5 or 6 that way. I usually keep Unicorn Stickers on hand also.Unicorn Sticker - Tattoo It Laptop Stickers orGlitter Unicorns Stickers (Dover Little Activity Books Stickers). If the child has been especially patient, she will also leave with a sticker book.
The moms and I are generally engaged in setting up meetings, potlucks, or some get together which requires our concentration and which children find utterly boring. I can't think with the TV chattering away, so a coloring book and crayons provide something the child enjoys. Besides, my kitties cannot stand to have a stranger in the house without trying to explore the stranger. The dining room has cat trees in it, so coloring books AND curious kittens are generally together in that room. Makes for a contented child.
I am very impressed with the history of Unicorns given in the book. The one lone 16 year old who arrived became fascinated by the lore and begged to have the book. She got it.
I have used it as a stocking stuffer also. It is just a great book. I gave it only 4 stars because children who are younger than ten do not usually have the vocabulary to understand all the information given and I did originally buy it for a 5 year old. It was over her head and had only one rearing Unicorn which is what the younger ones really want...the pretty unicorns, not the historical ones. But, I use it often and generally have one tucked away. Since I can purchase three and receive four of these for the cost of three, it is really a great bargain for me! I do not suggest it for very young children who get frustrated if they cannot read the text themselves. Otherwise, it is suitable for children of all ages, including me. Dover makes nice informative, coloring books. No doubt you can find one on your favorite subject. I look for them in "Books." Enjoy.
on August 17, 2011
My 8 yr daughter loves unicorns so this was a real treat for her. I wanted to put 4 stars because some of the pictures were quite odd and not really what one would consider a 'horse unicorn', but my girl loved it anyway and told me to put 5! There are photos of half lion half deer with dragon scales and an antler for the horn. A horse/elephant/stag creature. An animal with a horn protruding out the forehead as well as out of the back of the head. There were sheep and dinosaurs as well. But there were some beautiful photos of 'horse' unicorns which made up for the odd creatures so she was overall very happy.
VINE VOICEon November 13, 2002
A picture to color on each of its 32 pages. Each image has a short accompanying explaination of what legend or what type of unicorn is being discussed but that text does not overpower the drawings. Shaffer has done a good job of showing a wide variety of unicorns but I wish she'd made a comment on where she got her information.
on December 7, 2015
Some of the pictures are of unicorns but some of the pictures are of other horned creatures. In one or two pictures there are angry animals. There are writings below each picture explaining what is happening. I know this is supposed to be for older children and adults, but some picture are hard to look at !!!
on August 12, 2015
This is a fabulous coloring book and not just for kids! The drawings are so detailed and fun! This artist has really made these pictures come to life and my daughter loves this book! Just wow wow wow! That about sums it up. This is really a coloring book for any budding artist!
on January 3, 2016
My daughter loved this book, in fact Dover coloring books are among our favorite. A few pictures are a little odd, but they pertain to the mythology of unicorns so it seems appropriate that they were included. My 7 year old just thought they were funny as a few images were outside her image of a "unicorn".
on February 17, 2014
Frankly, I was expecting a bunch of flowery pictures of unicorns in various pastoral settings, featuring a lot of rainbows and butterflies. That is not quite what this coloring book involves. There is text with actual research on the history of the unicorn legend around the world. Some of the pictures are renderings of what the unicorn might look like according to other traditions. Mom found this interesting and cool. 5yo daughter thought it was ok, colored the pages that she thought were pretty, and ignored the rest. Book has plenty of pictures and nice quality paper for coloring.