These walkie talkies were purchased for my 8 year old son for his birthday. They are replacing an exact set he had previously but misplaced. They really do work great. I can't speak to the mile range because he just uses them here around the house and in the yard but they work excellently for that.

The sound is clear and pretty much static free. They use 3 AAA...
Published on December 1, 2011 by SuperReader

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be great but...
Published on June 19, 2012 by Grizzbeau

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great walkie talkies for my purpose, which is entertaining my 8 year old, December 1, 2011

The sound is clear and pretty much static free. They use 3 AAA batteries, which were included. I know from the other set we had that the battery life on these is pretty impressive.

If you are considering buying some toy walkie talkies for a child, I would avoid those. They are incredibly staticky and really no fun for kids at all due to the static and crappy reception. Spend the 5 more bucks and get these instead!

For the adults, I think these would be great to use while shopping or doing outdoor activities.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1635-2 Review: Kid LOVES, December 6, 2012
The kid loves these.... I bought these to replace some cheap ones my 7-year old had that were practically worthless.
The important stuff:
1. NO Way does this get the 16 miles it claims. OK, we haven't taken it out to stand on a hill without any buildings, so maybe that's the problem. We do, however, get about 1.5-2 miles in suburbia around houses, trees, etc. We tested it in a car moving away from the house a couple of times. - so that's good enough for us. We also found it reached a little farther in a park by the house with less buildings in the way.

2. Beware the 'belt clip'. Once it's on, it's quite difficult to get off - which wouldn't be a problem, but it's nearly impossible to change the batteries with it on. We've decided to keep the clips, but not put them on the radios unless we feel we must.

3. This model uses batteries. I like this because I've had issues with some items that will recharge. Also, I can use rechargeable batteries. Another point is that I can take extra batteries with me to change immediately if needed -- and I didn't want to spend a great amount on higher-end radios just for that feature.

4. Battery life seems ok/normal. Again, I'm using regular batteries: Duracell Ultras. With good use - a couple of hours a day/2-3 days a week - we had to change the batteries after a month.

All in all, my kid's happy. They are clear and have enough range for our use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be great but..., June 19, 2012
These are AWSOME in all aspects except the fact that they chew thru batteries within 5-15 minutes of being turned on! The range is great! The clarity on nearly all channels is as well, great! The only problem I have is I cannot afford to use them as it gets incredibly expensive changing six batteries, (3 per unit) every 10 min... I believe this is a manufacture defect, but so far have not had any luck getting a response from the seller. Humm...

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping in touch, September 25, 2012
We purchased 2 sets of the Two-Way Radios. We used them on a cruise. There were 8 of us on the cruise, and these Radios kept everyone informed of where we were and what was happening.
They are wonderful. People on the cruise wanted to know how well they worked. They were going to get them for their use at a cottage.
We would highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is for basic communication, not for long range., November 24, 2012
Here's why I gave this product a 5 stars. Have fun with them, I like them, they are small, great for kids. For the price well worth it. All I need them is for close range when I'm with my two little kids. (3rs, and 5yrs and mom). They have fun with them period. I use them when I go shopping, at mall, supermarket, on my vacation in the Bahamas, they work great. ONE MAJOR disagreement with all two-way radio manufacture is what they advertise. You will NOT get a long distance range on any product sold similar to what they advertise. So for those who complain that these units don't have the range. That's cause you don't know the FCC regulations on two way radios. Hence why you will never accomplish over two mile is any with this type of radios. THIS IS NOT A SOURCE OF COMMUNICATION IF YOU NEED SERIOUS OR LONG RANGE. THIS IS NOT FOR A BUSINESSESS WHOM MIGHT NEED THEM FOR COMMUNICATION OUTSIDE THEIR FACILITIES. This product or any similar are meant for close range. Sample, from the parking a lot of a walmart to farthest point in the store. The parking lot of a baseball stadium to the nose bleed seats. And this is only for open space. Nevermind city blocks or high rise building. Trust me, I work in 4 buildings equipped with repeaters and professional radios and even they don't communicate as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for a conference, November 3, 2011
This review is from: Uniden 16-Mile 22 Channel Rechargable FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio Pair - Black (GMR1636-2C) (Electronics)
Had a conference and needed to communicate quickly with others. Purchased 2 sets of these, and they worked great together with excellent range. Some other vendors had a similar idea but their units were not making the range of the conference area, so they ended up having to use cellphones every few minutes and had dead cellphones at the end of each day.

Very happy with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely satisfactory - also, buying tips, September 1, 2013
I have bought several brands of 2-way radios over the years. My wife & I use them when shopping, for example, "Do we need apples?" I recently dropped and broke one of my radios so I am buying a replacement pair (even tho I only need one). I'm quite satisfied with Uniden, but this time I'm buying non-rechargable. The rechargable batteries die much sooner than alkaline batteries, eg, shortly after we go into a mall and the charger is still at home..... Be aware that the advertised range for all brands are exaggerated. Radios advertised as "8 mile range" actually reach about 2-4 blocks in my neighborhood. Also, the signals go thru wooden walls OK, but not thru walls containing steel beams, like in office buildings or schools or cruise ships.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the price, June 3, 2012
These radios are awesome and the price is amazing. I tested them in the mountain and with a direct line the range is acceptable. I recommend to use rechargeable batteries.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun but battery burner!, December 27, 2011
We are having a blast with these but they eat batteries faster than anything I have ever seen. My son opened them on Christmas morning and we had to change batteries for the first time that afternoon and again the next day. We are even making sure he turns them off between uses and as soon as he is done but it doesn't seem to help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best walkie talkies I've had for kids, October 28, 2013
I have two boys and have gone through a lot of types of walkie talkies. Most have very poor sound and go through batteries like crazy. These have great sound, like a professional model. And they are rechargable with a cord that comes with the set, so the kids can just plug them in to recharge. I think they are great. My boys are ages 7 and 9 and have no problem using them.

Rate and Discover Movies