5.0 out of 5 stars small size, big performance
Published on January 23, 2007 by Louie

1.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment
My #1 use for this scanner is for public safety scanning - I have family in law enforcement & we like to listen in.

Published on March 20, 2007 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars small size, big performance, January 23, 2007
Louie "LouNei331" (Uvalde, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uniden BC72XLT Handheld Scanner (Black) (Electronics)
As they say, "a little bit of knowledge goes a long way..." If you live in or near a big city, this scanner will do absolutely no good because large metropolitan police forces use a trunk communication system due to the large number of units at work at one time. These systems aren't actually scrambled, but due to high volume of calls, it would be hard of a single scanner unit to keep track of them so while you might be able to hear one end of the converstaion, you won't necessarily be able to hear the other.

This unit is perfect for smaller cities which use frequencies betweem 153.0000 and 169.0000 for their police communications. The unit is also good for tracking airport traffic and, as you know by now, NASCAR events. The best thing to do when scanning for new frequencies is to have access to a code book for your area so you'll know what you're listening to at the time.

If you're technologically-challenged in any way, you're better off letting someone who knows what they're doing program the basic channels for you. I like the fact that's it's a lot smaller and not as heavy as its predecesors. It's a conspicuous as a mobile phone and a lot easier to carry on your belt without it getting in the way.

1.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment, March 20, 2007
This review is from: Uniden BC72XLT Handheld Scanner (Black) (Electronics)

I own a Uniden BC248CLT, & for years I owned a BC80XLT handheld. My BC80XLT was recently damaged & needed replaced. I ordered this BC72XLT, & am ready to return it also. It is not anywhere near the quality my prior Uniden handheld was. My 80 picked up as well or better than my 248 does here at home. This 72 picks up maybe 50% of the traffic of my others--whether in the house, outside, or even right in town. The buttons on this are awful, too. I have to go through multiple steps to do things that took only 1 button press on the 80. The reception, though, is my biggest concern AND complaint. I never had to purchase any extra antenna or such for my other Uniden handheld to get the better reception. Also, the volume, even at max output, is only "normal" listening level--so if I am in a noisy environment, I cannot turn it up to hear it better. My old BC80XLT had much better volume.

An additional warning - Uniden's Support has gone down the toilet. I thought Uniden was a company that would at least *acknowledge* my complaint, and maybe even have some suggestions of a better product - all I got was an auto reply that I should hear from Customer Service in 2-3 business days--and then I never heard a thing. I checked my support question on their site, and it was marked "closed." Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars A SCANNER THAT EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE!, July 28, 2007
This review is from: Uniden BC72XLT Handheld Scanner (Black) (Electronics)
This scanner is everything that I expected it to be. It's small and compact, it's easy to hear, it's easy to program, and it's very useful. The price was very reasonable and it was well worth the money. I don't go a day without listening to it and it goes everywhere with me. The only negative thing about it is the batteries don't last long and when I have it in the car, the signal isn't very strong. If you purchase it, make sure you use rechargeable batteries with it, or if you are home, just keep it plugged in using the adapter that comes with it. Other than that, I highly recommend this scanner to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad scanner for the price, July 1, 2008
This review is from: Uniden BC72XLT Handheld Scanner (Black) (Electronics)
I researched this Uniden BC72XLT before I purchased it. I read all of the reviews. I was worried about buying it when I read some of them. I bought it anyway and am glad that I did. It is easy to program and compact in size. I have had no problem with it picking up stations, even 15 to 20 miles away. I use it for police, fire and railroad mostly and am very pleased with it. For the folks who complain that it will not pick up police and fire, it is probably because the signals in their area are trunked and you need a special scanner to listen to that.

I am disappointed with the fact that it eats batteries. I use the land charger at home and purchased a 12 volt charger when using it in the car. Radio Shack handled this scanner sold under their name for a few years. It sold for about $79.00 about the same as this one. Today their scanners sell for a lot more and have less features than this one. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a pocket scanner and don't want to invest a lot of money in one.

4.0 out of 5 stars o.k scanner, April 11, 2006
This review is from: Uniden BC72XLT Handheld Scanner (Black) (Electronics)
This is a good scanner if you do not mind having the 800 mhz unavailable. Easy to use. Good price. Long wait time if you need to return this item to Amazon. BC92XLT from J&R Electronics has the 800 mhz for $30 more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny Scanner, But BIG on Features!, March 16, 2005
This review is from: Uniden BC72XLT Handheld Scanner (Black) (Electronics)
This scanner is about as great as they come for its size!

Bearcat has a solid reputation and has been around a long while.

Its loaded with features crammed into a tiny box no bigger than your cell phone and fits well in your shirt pocket.

What I like about it is that it goes anywhere, uses only 2AA batteries, and works a good long time before the juice runs out.

It also comes with an AC adapter that seems to even help boost the signal somewhat.

The reception is very good with its slap on antenna, and 100 channels, 25mhz on up to 512UHF, is more than enough for those most popular and famous citizens band radio, police and emergency frequencies.

You better get one!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good scanner, July 27, 2006
This review is from: Uniden BC72XLT Handheld Scanner (Black) (Electronics)
This is the first scanner i have ever owned, and I must say its a good scanner. I bought it to listen to railroad communications mainly. I do listen to local police dept's (3 of them) and they all come in clear. I would say its a great scanner and the programming is not THAT hard, but it does take a little getting used to. Also, the antenna that comes with it can prove a little useless everyonce in a while, but i think thats with most of the scanners. So, if you buy a good antenna for this thing, it will work GREAT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent scanner, January 9, 2007
Roge (Wayne, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uniden BC72XLT Handheld Scanner (Black) (Electronics)
I have owned this scanner for over two months. It's sensitivity, scanning speed and clarity are outstanding. I have dropped this scanner many times on concrete and other hard surfaces thinking it is now broken....it was sill perfect. I recommended this scanner to my friends who have now purchased one for themslves. Everyone is impressed.

I would recommend MAHA 2700 maHr rechargable batteries for the best performance and dependability.

I have no complaints about this scanner.

Uniden now has a carrying case for this scanner which I would also recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, Addicting, Exciting, Surprising!, August 25, 2006
This review is from: Uniden BC72XLT Handheld Scanner (Black) (Electronics)
I bought this scanner to use at the Bristol Night race in August 2006. I fully expected this unit to do well as a race scanner, but was pleasantly surprised to find out it is a tiny powerhouse of excitement! I turned it on and easily scanned right into the local police bands and immediately got into some action! Then I scanned the "air" frequencies, and got some air chatter from a small "shuttle" plane coming into Tri Cities Regional Airport.

I thought I would only use this twice a year at the track...little did I know I would find a new hobby.

Forget these people that say it's hard to figure out. I was up and running in 5 minutes tops. It's a BREEZE and is very intuitive. 5 stars all the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome!, May 7, 2007
This review is from: Uniden BC72XLT Handheld Scanner (Black) (Electronics)
I bought this scanner without knwoing anything about it, and got a really nice surprise. It was all that I expected. The main use I give to it is monitoring aviation frequiencies and it does this job wonderfully. In case you want extra range, you can attach an external antenna to it, giving it a wide spectrum of use.