5.0 out of 5 stars Great easy to use phone
Published on December 22, 2011 by adam

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective product line
Published on June 20, 2011 by Gregorator

5.0 out of 5 stars Great easy to use phone, December 22, 2011
We bought this phone because of a glowing report in Consumers Reports, before we read the negative reviews on Amazon.com. We are glad that we bought the phone. Set-up was very easy, straight forward and intuitive; even for us seniors. Communication between the base and the two handsets is excellent. The answering machine on the base works as expected and the handsets have blinking lights to signal voice messages. The phone works without problems with a shared faxline.
This phone is the best one we had so far.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective product line, June 20, 2011
I've used Uniden phones before and been satisfied, like many others who've reviewed their products, but this series of phones (1688x) has a software/programming glitch which renders them useless: the base unit's new message indicator light does not flash unless you first press a button -- any button -- on the base unit. The handset indicators flash correctly on receipt of new messages, but the base unit does not. This is among the most basic functions of an answering system and is an unnacceptable defect -- not to mention a harbinger of other possible failures down the road. So 5 stars for design and price, but 0 stars for reliability. I've now sent back two of these with identical failures. Avoid this unless and until a fix is provided by Uniden, which will most likely be in a new model series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Ever, June 8, 2011
Got mine at Staples and returned it the next day.
Two handsets did not ring for incoming calls and time was 10 to 20 minutes off on all phones, even after repeated resets.
Owner's guide not the easiest to follow.
Online support is useless: not much info on this model.
Phone support is just as useless. The technician offered no solutions, even after I waited on hold for 22 minutes to get to one.
I've had two Uniden's before: one was fine, had a problem with the other.
I should have known better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good phone, November 17, 2011
I have used Uniden phones for years, sought them out, because I have always had good luck with them. Until this phone... I bought this one for my home office, it had the speakerphone and mute function that I needed. From the get-go I started having trouble with it. My biggest issue with it is that it drops calls.... sort of. At first I thought the call was dropping, but then came to realize it just goes dead during calls, for 30 - 60 seconds. If I stay on the line, the call will return and all will be well for a while. I am usually on conference calls, so after sticking on the line during this dead time, suddenly I'll be back on the call and everyone is talking like nothing wrong.... I just missed a chunk of the conversation. During the 'dead' period, you can't 'flash' or press any buttons. If you disconnect, you won't be able to use the phone for a period of time while it's "searching". I can't have an unreliable phone like this for my work, so am replacing it today. Purchased a vtech this time, and hoping for better luck. I am still happy with my other Unidens, but this one is definitely a dud.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine didn't work either, September 15, 2011
AZDesertRN (Gilbert, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this locally to replace an older Uniden set. Neither of the handsets would ring with an incoming call. They would light up and the caller ID would show the incoming number. The base corded phone would ring. I could even answer the handsets when they would light up. But, even after calling tech support, they would not ring! I checked the volume etc.... I did not have them silenced. I read the manual cover to cover (well, the English part anyway)

I returned them and bought another brand. I've always liked Uniden phones but, after seeing the reviews here, (which I only checked after I had bought mine) I decided not to go through the hassle of trying another one of the same model in case it had the same issue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stuck in zombieland with a nonfunctional answering device., April 26, 2011
D. L. Hall (Eureka, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Lost two days trying to change a message on this thing's answering machine. The greeting we had on this no longer applied, and I wanted to switch it to the anonymous voice, but would it let me? Oh no. All options for changing the greeting disappeared.

Would I recommend this to a friend. No, possibly to a fiend, but never to a friend.

Product support? Only during their Central Standard Time regular business hours. Steer clear of this if you don't want endless frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for the price!, January 17, 2012
JJ (South Bend IN.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uniden DCX160 Accessory Handset for D1600 Series (Office Product)
We were looking for a basic phone with caller id, with house phones these days going on the outs it's hard to find a decent one..This phone is sturdy not cheaply made, the screen is easily readable with nice adjustable volume for ringer and talk...It's not cracky or does not break up and you can hear crystal clear...For a basic phone this is the way to go, I will buy uniden from now on

1.0 out of 5 stars Product was defective, April 21, 2011
I did not purchase the phone from Amazon, I picked it up from Target last weekend.

Neither of the two handsets ring when a call comes in. I have verified that the ringer volume is at maximum and the phone is not "silenced". Neither Handset displays caller ID when a call comes in. Intercom function does not ring either handset.

I have to assume that I just got a defective one and that it is not representative. In any case, I will be returning it to Target.

1.0 out of 5 stars Time is always wrong, October 22, 2011
Bought Two D1688's, BOTH won't keep time. Called Uniden and they told me it's Verizon's Caller ID signal, called Verizon they told me it's Uniden phone problem.
Will never buy another Uniden ever! Customer support SUCKS! If you get someone that speaks English they have no clue so you may as well save the time and not call!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great! Very clear. No dropped calls for me., August 7, 2011
Got this set of 2 Uniden DECT 6.0 phones from Amazon recently and I'm extremely happy with them. The sound is crystal clear and I haven't experienced any dropped calls or problems. The answering machine works great too and you can check it from either handset or the base unit. I like to check my messages on the handset and they play through the hands-free intercom speaker built in to the back of the handset. Very convenient! I can also use my cell phone to call home and check messages remotely on the Uniden machine with an access code you can easily set up. Another good feature is the intercom that lets you can page the other handset and talk to someone on the other handset somwhere else in the house. Very handy if you need to tell someone on the other side of the house something and you dont want to yell across the whole house. Great price, great features, I'm very pleased with this phone system.