Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Uniden DECT2088 DECT 6.0 Corded/Cordless Phone with Answering System with Caller ID
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 28, 2008
I got this phone because my 5.8 GHz phone system was having trouble reaching the three levels of my house. I was also looking for a phone system that had phone-book sharing capabilities, as well as a corded handset on the base for use during power outages, which are frequent in my part of the world. The phone is pretty good, but with the addition or improvement of its current features it could have been great.

This phone satisfies me in all of these aspects. The range on it is great, even through multiple floors (I currently have the base on my top floor, and handsets on the bottom, with only minimal static despite a two floor separation.) Intercom features and transferring calls between stations works well, and there is a 'privacy mode' that will prevent other stations from entering your phone conversation if you desire, which is a nice touch.

Audio quality is fine, although I have not thoroughly tested it. The speakerphone on the base is pretty good; I like the fact that you can put the base on speaker and then hang up the corded handset without hanging up the call, which is the case on some other base speakerphones.

The phone book sharing isn't centrally based; you can 'copy' a handset or the base's phone book to any other station, one at a time. Duplicate numbers appear to be either skipped or overwritten, so you don't end up with redundant entries. It works fairly well. I would have liked some software and a computer link to download contacts from my computer, or maybe a bluetooth connection to download contacts from a mobile phone.

CallerID does not use your phone book entries to display the names of 'known' callers; it simply uses your network's caller ID default (in my case, the number only.) This is a little disappointing.

The included handset, the DCX 200, is basic, with fairly cheap buttons, is incredibly light (almost too light), and for some reason doesn't display the time. Only the base station displays the time. The DCX 300 handset is supposedly compatible with this phone system, so I may order one to see if it is markedly improved over the somewhat lackluster DCX 200.

The base station is of better quality; although still quite light, the buttons are of the 'raised' style, providing better tactile feedback. The corded phone of the base station is usable during a power outage, which is handy.

The menu system on both the handset and the base station is a bit difficult and counter-intuitive to use; Uniden should take some pointers from some of the more user-friendly mobile phones in the market and redesign their menu interface.

If you're looking for a phone replacement that won't interfere with wireless networks or mobile phones, this Uniden DECT phone system is a good option. You can expand the base station, which is a phone by itself with its own keypad and phonebook for dialing, with up to six additional handsets. The range and 'penetration' of the signal is greatly improved over 5.8 GHz phones, but would only be a marginal improvement over the 2.4 GHz range phones.

With some refinement Uniden could make this an exceptional phone system, but it is still a very good phone system at a pretty reasonable price.
on September 17, 2008
Recently bought this phone, and am entirely happy with the purchase. I was looking for a DECT 6.0, as I'd had one living over in England. I'm a big believer in the technology.

Initially was looking for a Panasonic, however happened across this Uniden at a great price. PLUS, really wanted to have a corded phone along with a cordless option.

There is what I'd say is a very accurate review already posted that goes into some depth on the phone, so I don't need to go into the nitty-gritty here. A few comments though:

* Clarity is great! I hear calls great, and I'm told my voice is heard loud and clear on the other side.

* I've had no problem with range, I can use the handset phone outside with great clarity and that's quite a ways away from the base. Anywhere in the house is good.

* No Wi-Fi interference, and I've got two Wi-Fi networks in the house. I was concerned about this from reports on other phone manufacturers.

* Base ringer volume is fine for me. I just carry the handset if I'm not by the base and expect a call.

* You can transfer address book from handset to base/handset.

* Like having the speakerphone on both base and handset.

* Handset has a headset jack plug-in. Happy about that.

* Handset has different ring tones if desired.

* I am fine with the handset, works and sounds fine. Although, might look at the DCX300 as next handset to add.

* I like the base design personally. Raised keys are nice.

Based on clarity, range, no wi-fi interference, and price, this is a 5 star purchase for me.
on January 30, 2009
The main problem with this phone is that the corded handset does not feed your voice back into the earpiece, so the phone sounds like it is dead, when in fact it is working and the person at the other end can hear you just fine. Makes you speak more loudly than necessary.

Also, this phone suffers from the handset shrinking disease. The corded handset is even smaller than on the 5.8GHz model, making it harder to hold, and causing the microphone to be nowhere near your mouth.

The speakerphone is nice and loud while maintaining good fidelity, and the earpiece likewise. Corded earpiece is much louder than the Uniden 5.8 GHz model I tried.

User interface is really bad. But, the manual is halfway decent. Halfway.

LCD displays on base and cordless handsets are good. LCD on cordless is on all the time, but backlight comes on only when receiving, speaking, or calling. Cordless handset has good volume.

No battery backup, hence many functions missing if no AC power. But, you should connect it to your UPS; it only draws a couple of watts.

Another annoying feature is that on the base, when you start to dial a call, there is a delay before the dialing tones are heard, even though there is no delay in the pushbutton beeps. This can be very confusing and make you misdial. Better to wait about 3 seconds for the phone to boot up and have no such delay.
on July 9, 2009
I have only had these phones (cordless/corded set) for three months and I can't call out on either phone. It automatically goes back to a dial tone. I am waiting to hear from their customer service (takes 3-4 days)but if I do have to send it in for repair, I have to pay shipping which is a crock because it is under warranty and Uniden should have to pay for all costs associated w/repairs. Plus, I may get a refurbished phone which means I will be getting someone else's problem! This will probably be my first and last Uniden purchase. Unfortunately, from the reviews I have read, most phones these days aren't made any better.
on February 9, 2010
I am very unhappy with his purchase and will be returning this phone to Costco due to the following issues:

Handset Caller ID often reads "Incomplete Data" yet my Panasonic shows the name of who's calling.

Cannot just auto dial the incoming caller back by scrolling to their number and pressing the "talk" or "speaker phone" button. This is a feature on my Panasonic that I use often. Really miss it.

Sound quality when using the handsets is terrible, especially when I put the handset on speaker phone. Almost everyone I speak to says "You sound like you're in a tunnel". I've tried switching to my Panasonic cordless when this happens and the feedback is "That's better".

If I switch from "Talk" to "Speaker phone" on the handset during a call I'm disconnected.

In addition setting up this phone was an ordeal and you can forget Uniden customer service. It took me three days rt to even get through to a customer service rep, and when I did they were rude and impatient.Uniden DECT1588-3T DECT 6.0 Corded/Cordless Phone with Digital Answering System, Dual Keypad and 3 Handsets and Chargers
on January 8, 2009
This would be a great phone if it did not occasionally drop calls!! Every few weeks, in the middle of a call, the handset suddenly drops the call. In every case, I have been less than 15 feet from the base. Twice I was sitting right next to it. Extremely annoying!!!
on August 7, 2011
I purchased this phone and had to exchange 3 times for the same problem. As soon as I dialed a number, the phone went back to dial tone. I could not dial out. All 3 phones I exchanged worked for a couple of months and then same problem happened again. There is definitely design or build quality problem with this phone. I finally gave up and vow never to buy another Uniden product again.
on May 28, 2009
I replace my dct7488 with this one. Spending $90 to get the 3 handset model couldn't be beat. It's definitely a great phone system. The other reviewers already went over all the great features of the phone, so i'm only going to mention the ones I noticed missing.

- No room monitoring
- Can't change ringtone on base
- No speed dial

On the old system I had speed dial 1 setup to activate call forwarding to my cell phone. Aside from those three missing features, I am totally happy with my decision. I poured over a lot of reviews for different models and brands but always seem to come back to uniden. They just make a great product that won't break the bank.
on February 25, 2011
...and Uniden says they can't do anything about it. Sure, it doesn't interfere with microwaves or cell phones, but I'm getting tired of listening to the Spanish radio station. Time for me to buy a new phone.
on September 16, 2008
Operationally, this phone is not as intuitive as my other Uniden but all in all a good purchase. I'd buy it again.