Published on June 26, 2012 by Mtn Girl

2.0 out of 5 stars I Really HATE This Phone!
Published 22 months ago by apensive1

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent initial impression, and I am PICKY about my phones!, June 26, 2012
I have been shopping for new cordless digital phones for our home for at least 6 months. I liked my old Panasonic 6.0 KX-TG 9000 series system for a couple years, had to replace one handset, but lately it's been useless. Transferring to speaker phone or even receiving a ring would make the phone screen blank out, and you'd have to run for another phone. I ordered the newer version of this phone (Panasonic DECT 6.0-Series 3-Handset Cordless Phone System with Answering System KX-TG1033S) back in February, but it lacked a key feature I insist upon, which is the ability to assign personalized rings for incoming calls (the old Panasonic version had this). I even called Panasonic, but they said they none of their current phones offer this feature. I returned that phone system, and kept shopping. Finally, I found this Uniden set that seemed to fit the bill. I looked through the manual online, and could see it allowed personalized rings for incoming calls, but it didn't say how many options there were. I emailed Uniden support, and they responded within a couple days to say the phone has 4 melodies plus 3 ring tones (they were wrong about one of the melodies: my phones came with Beethoven's 9th [Ode to Joy] rather than the Star Spangled Banner, which is fine with me). I decided I could make do with those seven choices, and ordered this phone set. It's simple (I didn't need an answering system, as I prefer the voice mail which comes with my phone service), the programming was not difficult, I like the envelope icon as well as the flashing light for message notification. Plus I can program in my voice mail number and it even adds a pause and my code. I can hit the envelope icon and easily retrieve any messages. Reception, range and voice quality seem excellent, and I am picky about that, having a slight hearing impairment. I like these phones so far. Maybe I'll be a Uniden customer now, rather than Panasonic. Another plus: the Uniden phones are a little more elegant, and lighter in weight than the old Panasonic. Thanks, Uniden, for answering this customer's pre-purchase questions, and for a nice little cordless phone system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy To Program and Looks Great, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Uniden DECT 6.0 Expandable Corded/Cordless Phone with Answering System - Silver, 2 Handsets and 1 Base (D1788-2) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It had been a while since we had a new phone and wanted something easy to use and could put in three different rooms.
We needed for the kitchen, bedroom and my husband's downstairs office. This works perfect for us.

Due to the man's office being downstairs and behind a closed door, we really needed something with an intercom which is why we wanted to try this. I need something that the kids and I can use to get in touch with him. Going up and down all day, is never good. Plus if he needs something he just intercoms us and we can get it down to him. Makes life much easier all around.

Best Features:
Store up to 50 names and numbers on the Caller ID
Store 100 names and numbers in the phonebook (this could be a minus too. We don't remember anyone's numbers anymore).
Silent Mode shuts off all ringers.
If we ever wanted to get another phone for the family room, we could expand this set with up to 12 extra if we needed to.
Speakerphones! We love this feature. Life is busy. I can't hold a phone while I do the chores I need to get to around the house. This is a great feature. My personal favorite.
Power fail feature. If you happen to lose power in the house, your phone will still work!
Price! Great price; under $80.00 for three phones and an answering machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Phone, July 25, 2012
This is a pretty basic cordless phone, which is just what I was looking for. The handsets are lightweight and calls come in loud and clear. I like the "privacy mode" that keeps others from picking up the other handset and interrupting your call, and the intercom/call transfer feature. I'm not sure about battery life yet as I've only been using it for a few weeks, but it hasn't been a problem so far.

2.0 out of 5 stars I Really HATE This Phone!, September 12, 2012
apensive1 (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I did a lot of research before buying this phone and it turned out to be a big disappointment. I wanted a nice, quality phone that had no answering machine because I prefer to rely on my provider's voicemail system and didn't want the bulk associated with the main unit. I knew that this phone didn't have call blocking capability and didn't come with a wall mount but it seemed to have all the other simple features I wanted, e.g., caller ID, speed dial, phonebook. Trouble is, those features turned out to be nice ideas with poor execution. Following are the pros and cons as I see them:

PROS:
-Very stylish, lightweight phones.
-Well lit screen and keys.
-Good voice volume.
-Reasonable price.
-Batteries cheap to replace.
-Easy navigation once you get the hang of it.
-Caller ID, phonebook, and speed dial are linked among all phones, eliminating the need to enter phonebook info into each individual unit.

CONS:
-Ringer volume is *way* too low, and my hearing is just fine.
-Secondary units have an unacceptable (2-3 rings on main unit) delay before ringing.
-Unacceptable delay to access "speed dial". Call it a "slow-speed dial"!
-Delayed access to caller ID history and phonebook due to linked info among units.
-Surprisingly few ringtones.
-Quality of sound is very inconsistent- fuzzy on one unit; echos on another; tinny on the third.
-Cost to buy wall mount + shipping = 20% of price I paid for phone.

Based on my pros/cons list, you can see that the "pro" of having the Caller ID, phonebook and speed dial features linked among all units ironically causes some pretty major "cons", in my opinion. Perhaps the technology is just not where it needs to be yet. The delayed ring on the secondary units means that calls often go into voicemail before you realize the phone is ringing and have a chance to answer - if you even hear it. And frankly, it would be faster to dial commonly called numbers rather than wait for speed dial to retrieve the programmed number, which I find unacceptable in the long term. Those inconveniences, along with the inconsistent sound quality and very poor ringer volume alone were the main deal breakers for me. The phones are going back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Battery went dead 5 weeks after purchase, January 24, 2013
Batgirl (Ithaca, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This seems to be a nice phone and I would have given it more stars except that one of the batteries went dead just 5 weeks after purchase. So far I have not been able to find another battery for this phone anywhere, locally or online. Amazon suggested I contact Uniden so I emailed them from their website. They responded that they wanted me to fax them my sales receipt. I emailed them back telling them I don't have access to a fax machine, could I email it to them. I emailed them 3 times and so far they have not responded. It's been almost a month and I have not heard from them. If this is how they treat their customers, I will never buy a Uniden product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't break any new ground in DECT 6.0 technology, but gets the job done, July 2, 2012
Uniden D1788-2 DECT 6.0

I've bought and used several different DECT 6.0 phones in the past. My last set was a Panasonic, which served me well up to the point one of the external speakers failed and I was unable to purchase a replacement via Panasonic.

The Uniden D1788-2 are similar to other DECT 6.0 phones. The DECT 6.0 network is one of the more advanced cordless frequency systems and is fully digital. Because it is a network, your satellite handsets do not require any physical connection to the base station. They simply sit in a cradle to charge up anywhere in your house and you can expand this system up to a few extra units, although it comes with 2 wireless handsets. The base station has a corded handset.

The cordless handsets use a NiMH battery pack, basically a pair of AAA batteries wired together in a pack. The handsets do not have belt clips or headphone jacks, so I was unable to use them with a corded microphone/headset for hands-free talking in the office.

The audio quality is acceptable, although my recorded greeting using the base station and handset microphones was rather scratchy. The base station ringer can't be changed, and because I turned off the ringers on all the cordless handsets (so they don't bother me in the bedrooms), incoming calls just sound off a generic ring tone on the base station. The handset range is on-par with my other DECT 6.0 phones.

The instructions are very sparse and poorly written. It frequently tells you to go to another page for more information on a topic. There are also lots of options/settings that aren't covered in the instructions. The network seems to operate very slowly. Navigating the menu and changing settings will result in a "Please Wait..." message on the LCD that takes a few moments to go away.

The red power charging LED is also a nuisance because it stays on even after the battery is fully charged. This can be annoying in a bedroom where you may want more darkness, but luckily the red LED isn't too bright.

Overall: 5/5 stars, good backlit keys, acceptable audio quality, doesn't break any new ground in cordless phone technology.

I will update this review if anything changes with my usage experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive features. The Bluetooth connectivity with cellphones is a killer app!, June 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have used Uniden phones for a while. I find they typically have good features, good quality and a nice price. I was offered the opportunity to review this phone and, frankly, this is a most impressive phone system.

1. What is in the box? You receive, in a surprisingly small box, two headsets, with separated batteries and back covers, along with a answering machine base for one headset and a second small base with a charger unit attached (you, of course, also receive the two phone lines. Also included is a decent (but not comprehensive) list of instructions.

2. Set-up: Easy. Frankly, very easy. Without looking at the instructions, I simply placed the batteries in the headsets, and the phone had some power and was ready to go. After placing the phone in the cradle, and placing the wires for power and the phone-line, I was ready to go. Phone: I was immediately able to use the phone immediately.

3. Features: The most impressive aspect of this phone is the Bluetooth connect feature. I cannot state how awesome a tool this is. Using the Bluetooth feature on my cellphone, I simply uploaded the PIN and this phone and my cellphone connected. I was able to actually upload my phone book from my cell to this headset as well. By selecting either the phone button or cell button I can use either to dial or answer either phone using just this headset. Wow.
The other cool feature is that you can set-up two cell phones for interaction with this system and assign distinctive ring-tones. Thus, you can answer this phone or two cell-phones no matter where you are in the house (it gives a 33 foot range, but in practice I have achieved 40-50 feet in many areas of my home without an issue).
I love this feature. I have no idea if it is proprietary to Uniden, but it is easy to set-up and use and makes things very easy.

4. Aesthetic: The headsets are silver in color, with the inner phone parts being black. The buttons are lit during use and are fairly large and easy to see. The buttons signifying Home and Cell are green and purple, respectively, and are easily found. The Home base with answering machine is also silver with black features. It is not the most stylish phone system I have seen, but it is nice looking and certainly not something to be embarrassed about in the slightest.

Positives:
1. There are a number of positives with this phone. First, the phone is nice looking and easy to hold. The buttons are easily read and to use. The display is a nice feature as well with caller ID showing and possible messages displayed along with date and time.
The Bluetooth connection makes this phone a winner. Love this feature (see above). The phone also has a speaker on each headset (can use this as an intercom). Another interesting thing is that the phone has the correct date and time displayed without my entering it because I think it uploaded the information from my cellphone. Cool.

2. Neutral: Nothing stands out in my mind after use as being mediocre.
3. Negatives: Not many negatives at all with this phone. In fact, I have none. The only quibble is I think the "End" button is too small and poorly placed, resulting in some thought about where my fat finger has to go to terminate the call. I think this irritation will go away with more use, but it is the only (little) negative I have about this phone.

Conclusions:

In short, I am very impressed with this phone system. In my mind, the over the top feature is the Bluetooth connection, which really expands the range and use of this phone (and justifies the landline, which becomes an afterthought in my household because of the use of a cellphone). The price currently on Amazon is around 50 to 60ish and this is an excellent price point for the features available. I wouldn't hesitate with purchasing this item.
I reserve judgment for battery life and use, but for the few days I have had it, the system seems to conserve battery power off the chargers quite well. A winning system that is worth an upgrade for the Bluetooth features alone. A winner. I am very happy with this item, and I think a potential buyer would be as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value; 3 Fine Phones For A Good Price, July 6, 2012
Kenneth Depree (Sosua, Dominican Republic) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
High marks to Uniden for giving us the best of both worlds: A corded desktop/wall mount corded phone and 2 cordless handsets. I didn't realize previously it was possible to have both.

One big advantage of this phone package over the cordless phones that my sons have is that when their power goes out, so does their phone service. However, with the D1788-2, this is not the case. Even if there is no power you can still make phone calls using the base set. That's a huge plus for anyone who lives where there are occasional power outages due to falling tree limbs, storms, or general power failure.

You can also dial in to your answering system from any touch phone when away from home after programming the phone with a security code of your choosing.

Not much to do to prepare the phones for use. Plug the base set into an AC electrical outlet using the provided adapter and to a telephone jack using the provided cord and attach the handset to the base with the provided cord; put the provided rechargeable batteries in the charging units for the two cordless phones and plug the chargers into electrical outlets using the provided cords. Now the phones are ready to use as well as to program following the menu in the users guide.

Pretty much intuitive, but good instructions are in the manual.

Programming the phone is not difficult. You have the choice of programming each phone separately or by clicking on the global menu option to program all 3 phones with date and time, etc, at the same time.

The user guide that comes with the phone is relatively small. If you prefer something larger, google Uniden D1788 User Guide and you will get a larger PDF version which you can print or read on your computer monitor. I found it easier to use this version to focus on what I was trying to accomplish.

The phones are good looking, especially the base phone.

The Uniden D1788-2 is a good wireless phone package at a good price. I recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance & cutting out, January 18, 2013
We have used these phones for a few days now but the problems have persisted. When using the handsets they sometimes don't give a dial tone and have to be put back on to the base and tried again. In addition, they regularly just cut out for periods of time during a conversation. It sometimes gives the out-of-range message when you are just feet from the base, and even the DRX100 Range increaser doesn't help.

Also, when purchasing on Amazon it shows the DCX170 as a compatible handset for this base. That isn't the case, you actually require a DCX170BT which is twice the price per handset over the DCX170.

One other thing is that Uniden telephone technical support has been pretty poor in my experience. I've had to wait up to 30 minutes for a technician, and while one did resolve my problem the other was not helpful at all and gave me incorrect information (resulting in the purchase of the wrong handsets).

I'm very disappointed in the performance overall, and with the vendor support and will now have to return and try a different brand. Hopefully, the seller support will be better.

1.0 out of 5 stars No instructions in manual, April 3, 2013
I have had to purchase 4 Uniden D1780 phones in the last 2 days because either the phone didn't work or when I called the Support line waiting 25 minutes, they gave me wrong info. but worst of all is that the User's guide does not have all the instructions for Assigning a Speed Dial Number and is missing the last 2 steps. How are you even supposed to deal with a company that is that un-customer friendly. I can't one-touch the memory to dial and there is a hum so loud in the receiver that I can't hear the other person. HELP, HELP, HELP.

$74.99 $69.09
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies