5.0 out of 5 stars Great system!
Published 12 months ago by Richard Cranium

3.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, very poor software
Published 11 months ago by F. Carothers

3.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, very poor software, January 5, 2014
F. Carothers (Shippensburg, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uniden G955 Wireless 9" Video Surveillance Monitor with 2 Outdoor/Indoor Cameras (Black) (Electronics)
The cameras are very good. Unlike another reviewer, we find the low light performance to be surprisingly good. The motion sensors also seem to be very good. The set up was simple and the cameras connected with the control panel automatically. The primary problem is with the software. The windows PC software will provide access to live video, but not recorded events. The motion detector does a good job of initiating 2 minute video recordings, but PC's do not have access to the recordings!!

After some initial issues with the iPhone and iPad apps, these now seem to be working well. Comments at the Apple app store indicate other users have experienced similar problems.

When we go to the Uniden web site for support, there is no recognition of the G955 model!! The G755 model is listed, but not the G955. This will probably change at some point, but for now we must conclude that software and product support are just afterthoughts for Uniden.

Again, we want to state that the hardware seems to be very good. It is only the PC software that is poorly implemented.

One additional note: When the G955 is connected to the internet, the system control screen is disabled. As a result, none of the touch screen controls are available on the touch screen when connected to the Internet. If you want to look at recorded video or select any other function on the touch screen, you must first disconnect from the Internet. Not a major issue, but another example of the poor software implementation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great system!, December 13, 2013
Richard Cranium (PORTLAND, OREGON, US) - See all my reviews
This is very easy to setup. Nothing but a power cord to deal with. There a couple of things that would make this system better but for the money it's ideal for me. The I/F night viewing is much better than I thought it would be too. If you're looking for a system that's easy to set up and has great video, this is the system. I'm very satisfied with this set up enough to buy the other two cameras that will complete the system.
A side note: this area has had below freezing temperatures...down into the mid 20's for four days with snow, freezing fog, and freezing rain...and now rain and the cameras have not faltered. Except for a couple of raccoons that unplugged one of the cameras when they were chasing each other {I had it on video} ...the cameras worked through it all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Low expectations not met, February 9, 2014
At the time of this post, the overall rating of this system was 3.5 stars. I don't think that's low enough so I'm going to give a quick review. I bought this through Costco so I could return it at the store if I needed to, and I will.

Pros:
-Camera and monitor communicate without setup (plug and play).
-Android app does work. I'd also give it 2 stars, but it does technically work.

Cons:
-Video quality is really bad.
-Monitor touch screen only responds about 40% of the time.
-You cannot do full screen on one camera while connected to the internet.
-You cannot upgrade the firmware while connecting to the internet; however, you must be connected to the internet to get a firmware upgrade. Definitely a major bug. As others have mentioned, connecting the monitor to the internet prevents you from doing anything else on the monitor.
-No wireless option for the video monitor to connect to the internet.
-The monitor needs to remain on for it to be connected to the internet and your smartphone cannot connect to the cameras unless your monitor is on.

If the video quality wasn't awful, I might be keeping the system despite its awful user interface. I'm going to try getting a 720p outdoor wireless camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Poor Software., March 25, 2014
From a functionality standpoint, this system appears to fit our needs. I had a similar setup from Uniden for over 3 1/2 years and it worked very well. However, I wanted the new remote and email functions, so I plunged in and purchased this unit. Wow, was I ever surprised and disappointed. I've been purchasing technology for a very long time and this has to be the worst software environment I've seen created in a very long time. It borders on juvenile. As others have noted, it is unreliable, very touchy in how it is setup. What I found disconcerting was that they omitted functions that were in my previous system; specifically, local network storage. The only way to retain images is to pull a microSD card out of the unit and insert it in your computer and copy the files down to your local system. You can't hook this system up to a USB drive, nor connect it to your internal home network and save files to your NAS server, etc. You can only browse prestored files that were placed on your system.

This software was fully engineered with little regard for actual usage of the product. I would not recommend this unit, only because of the poor software. the hardware is as advertised.

1.0 out of 5 stars Remote Viewing, February 13, 2014
Can't view on a 64-bit notebook, only 32-bit. Additionally, can only be remotely viewed on Internet Explorer (version 7, not 8). The App available for iPad is not worth the download. Others may have found a way to make it work. I have not.

I suggest if looking for a security system, do your research first. Had I known before hand what I know now, there is no way I would have bought this system. Not even worth a single "star."

Incidentally, Uniden doesn't answer their email. The customer service submission form on their web site is worthless. Prompts for answers to questions not asked. I do web sites daily. There is no excuse for this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just don't expect too much and you won't be dissapointed., April 13, 2014
It's an under $300 system on sale. The cameras and monitor are decent for the price. You are not going to get night vision past about 20 feet without additional lighting. You are not going to get telephoto HD quality and Dolby sound.

The system has many shortcomings, but none that I view as fatal if you just want a relatively inexpensive system. You have to, maybe, delete and reload one program and download another, an OCX program which allows you to view the camera videos online. Nothing difficult, but the instructions are vague about whether the downloads even apply to you. They do.

Online features are very limited. Pretty much limited to viewing and starting recording or taking a picture and recording to the monitor's included SD chip.. You can not view online what has been recorded by the cameras.

You need a P.C running Internet Explorer 32 bit to make the online viewing work. This system will not work with any other browsers. If you are not a little tech savvy and willing to invest at least a couple hours setting up this system, you will probably never get it to work. It's not hard, but if you don't have some minimal tech skills by now, you will probably just end up frustrated with this system.

If you are not interested in online viewing, the setup is actually very simple. Pretty much plug and play. You don't even need a computer. But, what fun is that?

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't meet expectations...going back, December 8, 2013
Streams video: Yes
Quality: Okay, not great.
Night vision: crappy - you can see movement, but that's it.
Software & monitoring interface: Poor
Email alerts: Text only - no picure/video attachment
iOS app: crappy
Web access - almost impossible. Requires IE + some plugins to see video. I gave up.
Recurring charge: No
Local storage: Yes - on a micro-SD card, provided 8GB

Lots of bugs in the software make it unusable - for example, you cannot use the menu interface on the touch screen monitor when its "connected to the internet" (which you have to manually enable). How useless. I have to disconnect from internet before I can browse any recorded videos.

This would have been a good buy 10 years back. Not in the competing world which has dropcam and others like it (which have some shortcomings too btw). Overall, I plan to return this. Didn't buy it on Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!!, June 16, 2014
WE have a G755 and want to add more cameras. And as we were happy with the G755 we looked and and decidied on the Uniden G955 as all accessories are compatible between the two, with the exception of the SD card. The G755 takes a standard SD card and the G955 takes a micro SD card. System came right up and as the monitor is larger I moved 2 of the critical cameras from our G755 to the G955...a snap. The only problem I have is the cameras, when outside, and more than 50' from the monitor have some quality issue when using infered night stuff.

In talking to Uniden I found that they have just release a next extender antenna for the GC45 cameras. Well, I got two, from Uniden as I could not find them on Amazon. They should be here withing 4 business days. Unlike Amazons free 4 weeks deliveries.

2014/06/28 - follow up....we added the extender antenna to one of our GC45 cameras. Helped with receiption. Not perfect but the camera is acquired quicker after preforming other functions on the monitor.

Also, we are having some grief with the videos. I a question into Uniden - it seems that the 8GB micro SD Card is the issue. When the disk gets 50% full the video Frames Per Second suffers and you loose video. It seems FPS drops for the rated 25 to about 5 per second. Don't have that problem with our G755 and a standard 32GB SD Card. 50% capacity on our G955 with 4 cameras is about 10 days. So, I started purging the older videos and the problem goes away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Record file error., October 12, 2014
Horrible support. After a few months got a record file error, it will no longer record to the micro sd cards. I have purchased several new sd cards reset the system, and no fix. I have been on hold for hours with no help from Uniden. It was $400+ when I bought it and 2 extra cameras now it is a expensive door stop... stay away! by the way I am a software engineer with 20 years as a developer...so trust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uniden g955 guardian wireless security camera, April 12, 2014
Well it is time for a review. I have had this system for a couple of months now. When I began my search I was naturally taken by the quality of a wired system. Wireless systems cannot compare to wired systems. Better resolution and better night quality, BUT to say that in my situation where I wanted to use the system having a hardwired system to a DVR was not practical. I also needed a robust camera that would hold up in outdoor weather, which wired systems have, but not too much on the wireless side. They have them, but not in numbers like wired systems. You can get small panning type cloud camera's for indoors that actually have better video quality then the g955. I compared the Lorex wireless systems to this one and they were/are essentially the same. Like comparing a Ford to a Chevy in todays world. Same same. People are passionate for one or the other and say that one is better then the other, but they are almost identical.

I bought this camera for a real good deal and for what it is and knowing the video quality of a wireless camera system ahead of time couldn't be more pleased. It does everything as advertised. After really running it through the paces for the last couple of months I bought two more cameras for it through Amazon as they were the cheapest.

The screen that comes with it is of course more then just a screen, it is a little computer which you can record live motion as detected by the unit to a simple SD card. Also you can remotely watch your video both LIVE and Pre-recorded on either a laptop, Tablet or smart phone as I have all three and watch them continually when away. I have read some people comment that you cannot watch 'live' video and only pre-recorded video. That is not correct. You can watch live and have the ability to record what you are watching or take a snapshot of what you are watching live, OR you can watch video that was previously recorded. You can also get email alerts when the camera detects motion and starts to record.

The video quality is like most if not all outdoor weather proof type cameras at 320x240. Not great, but not bad either. I can see my Raccoons doing their thing in my yard at night or the neighbors cat racing through the yard at night with no problems. Daylight hours a very good and couldn't be more pleased CONSIDERING that I do not have to have a parked DVR and wires running into the house to the cameras etc. IF I was to build a new house I would run wires internally and then would buy a wired system, but this wireless makes it real easy. Not only do I not have to have the monitor in a stationed place at night for instance I can unplug the system and take it up to the bedroom and have it at night there if I want to do that. Totally portable.

I have the cameras at all four corners of my house mounted in the eves and have had NO problems with connecting to the monitor whatsoever. No issues there.

So considering all of the above there is NO WAY I could not give this thing 5 stars. It has been flawless in operation. I called Uniden one time on camera setup as the camera was new they didn't have the number yet logged in their system to get on line with it.

So I hope this might help someone buying a wireless system whether this one or a Lorex or a whatever. DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST.