on January 5, 2014
The cameras are very good. Unlike another reviewer, we find the low light performance to be surprisingly good. The motion sensors also seem to be very good. The set up was simple and the cameras connected with the control panel automatically. The primary problem is with the software. The windows PC software will provide access to live video, but not recorded events. The motion detector does a good job of initiating 2 minute video recordings, but PC's do not have access to the recordings!!

After some initial issues with the iPhone and iPad apps, these now seem to be working well. Comments at the Apple app store indicate other users have experienced similar problems.

When we go to the Uniden web site for support, there is no recognition of the G955 model!! The G755 model is listed, but not the G955. This will probably change at some point, but for now we must conclude that software and product support are just afterthoughts for Uniden.

Again, we want to state that the hardware seems to be very good. It is only the PC software that is poorly implemented.

One additional note: When the G955 is connected to the internet, the system control screen is disabled. As a result, none of the touch screen controls are available on the touch screen when connected to the Internet. If you want to look at recorded video or select any other function on the touch screen, you must first disconnect from the Internet. Not a major issue, but another example of the poor software implementation.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2013
This is very easy to setup. Nothing but a power cord to deal with. There a couple of things that would make this system better but for the money it's ideal for me. The I/F night viewing is much better than I thought it would be too. If you're looking for a system that's easy to set up and has great video, this is the system. I'm very satisfied with this set up enough to buy the other two cameras that will complete the system.
A side note: this area has had below freezing temperatures...down into the mid 20's for four days with snow, freezing fog, and freezing rain...and now rain and the cameras have not faltered. Except for a couple of raccoons that unplugged one of the cameras when they were chasing each other {I had it on video} ...the cameras worked through it all.
on March 25, 2014
From a functionality standpoint, this system appears to fit our needs. I had a similar setup from Uniden for over 3 1/2 years and it worked very well. However, I wanted the new remote and email functions, so I plunged in and purchased this unit. Wow, was I ever surprised and disappointed. I've been purchasing technology for a very long time and this has to be the worst software environment I've seen created in a very long time. It borders on juvenile. As others have noted, it is unreliable, very touchy in how it is setup. What I found disconcerting was that they omitted functions that were in my previous system; specifically, local network storage. The only way to retain images is to pull a microSD card out of the unit and insert it in your computer and copy the files down to your local system. You can't hook this system up to a USB drive, nor connect it to your internal home network and save files to your NAS server, etc. You can only browse prestored files that were placed on your system.

This software was fully engineered with little regard for actual usage of the product. I would not recommend this unit, only because of the poor software. the hardware is as advertised.
on February 9, 2014
At the time of this post, the overall rating of this system was 3.5 stars. I don't think that's low enough so I'm going to give a quick review. I bought this through Costco so I could return it at the store if I needed to, and I will.

Pros:
-Camera and monitor communicate without setup (plug and play).
-Android app does work. I'd also give it 2 stars, but it does technically work.

Cons:
-Video quality is really bad.
-Monitor touch screen only responds about 40% of the time.
-You cannot do full screen on one camera while connected to the internet.
-You cannot upgrade the firmware while connecting to the internet; however, you must be connected to the internet to get a firmware upgrade. Definitely a major bug. As others have mentioned, connecting the monitor to the internet prevents you from doing anything else on the monitor.
-No wireless option for the video monitor to connect to the internet.
-The monitor needs to remain on for it to be connected to the internet and your smartphone cannot connect to the cameras unless your monitor is on.

If the video quality wasn't awful, I might be keeping the system despite its awful user interface. I'm going to try getting a 720p outdoor wireless camera.
on February 13, 2014
Can't view on a 64-bit notebook, only 32-bit. Additionally, can only be remotely viewed on Internet Explorer (version 7, not 8). The App available for iPad is not worth the download. Others may have found a way to make it work. I have not.

I suggest if looking for a security system, do your research first. Had I known before hand what I know now, there is no way I would have bought this system. Not even worth a single "star."

Incidentally, Uniden doesn't answer their email. The customer service submission form on their web site is worthless. Prompts for answers to questions not asked. I do web sites daily. There is no excuse for this.
on April 14, 2014
It's an under $300 system on sale. The cameras and monitor are decent for the price. You are not going to get night vision past about 20 feet without additional lighting. You are not going to get telephoto HD quality and Dolby sound.

The system has many shortcomings, but none that I view as fatal if you just want a relatively inexpensive system. You have to, maybe, delete and reload one program and download another, an OCX program which allows you to view the camera videos online. Nothing difficult, but the instructions are vague about whether the downloads even apply to you. They do.

Online features are very limited. Pretty much limited to viewing and starting recording or taking a picture and recording to the monitor's included SD chip.. You can not view online what has been recorded by the cameras.

You need a P.C running Internet Explorer 32 bit to make the online viewing work. This system will not work with any other browsers. If you are not a little tech savvy and willing to invest at least a couple hours setting up this system, you will probably never get it to work. It's not hard, but if you don't have some minimal tech skills by now, you will probably just end up frustrated with this system.

If you are not interested in online viewing, the setup is actually very simple. Pretty much plug and play. You don't even need a computer. But, what fun is that?
on June 16, 2014
Update - 2015/03/18 - We now have 2 Uniden G955 systems and one G755 - a total of 3 systems with 12 cameras - 3 GC43s and 9 GC45s. We've pleased. We've heard complaints about interference with WIFI and only had a problem when we had all 3 systems with the 12 cameras setup next to out laptop. Put 2 systems in another room and problem went away. Do have a problem from time to time with the videos FPS. But, I just reset the unit and we're fine again. Also, the clarity is ok...not like HD but it's ok. We've tried SWANN and Trident and have had all kinds of problems The Unidens are plugged in and run. We have them all hooked the the Uniden Video web site and also have the Uniden Android App and it all works fine. Not like some of the others we tried. WE have a G755 and want to add more cameras. And as we were happy with the G755 we looked and and decided on the Uniden G955 as all accessories are compatible between the two, with the exception of the SD card. The G755 takes a standard SD card and the G955 takes a micro SD card. System came right up and as the monitor is larger I moved 2 of the critical cameras from our G755 to the G955...a snap. The only problem I have is the cameras, when outside, and more than 50' from the monitor have some quality issue when using infered night stuff.

In talking to Uniden I found that they have just release a next extender antenna for the GC45 cameras. Well, I got two, from Uniden as I could not find them on Amazon. They should be here withing 4 business days. Unlike Amazons free 4 weeks deliveries.

2014/06/28 - follow up....we added the extender antenna to one of our GC45 cameras. Helped with receiption. Not perfect but the camera is acquired quicker after preforming other functions on the monitor.

Also, we are having some grief with the videos. I a question into Uniden - it seems that the 8GB micro SD Card is the issue. When the disk gets 50% full the video Frames Per Second suffers and you loose video. It seems FPS drops for the rated 25 to about 5 per second. Don't have that problem with our G755 and a standard 32GB SD Card. 50% capacity on our G955 with 4 cameras is about 10 days. So, I started purging the older videos and the problem goes away.
on December 9, 2013
Streams video: Yes
Quality: Okay, not great.
Night vision: crappy - you can see movement, but that's it.
Software & monitoring interface: Poor
Email alerts: Text only - no picure/video attachment
iOS app: crappy
Web access - almost impossible. Requires IE + some plugins to see video. I gave up.
Recurring charge: No
Local storage: Yes - on a micro-SD card, provided 8GB

Lots of bugs in the software make it unusable - for example, you cannot use the menu interface on the touch screen monitor when its "connected to the internet" (which you have to manually enable). How useless. I have to disconnect from internet before I can browse any recorded videos.

This would have been a good buy 10 years back. Not in the competing world which has dropcam and others like it (which have some shortcomings too btw). Overall, I plan to return this. Didn't buy it on Amazon
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Horrible support. After a few months got a record file error, it will no longer record to the micro sd cards. I have purchased several new sd cards reset the system, and no fix. I have been on hold for hours with no help from Uniden. It was $400+ when I bought it and 2 extra cameras now it is a expensive door stop... stay away! by the way I am a software engineer with 20 years as a developer...so trust me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2014
I've had these a little over a year and I am in the process of replacing them with something better. The hardware is decent, but the experience is killed by abysmally clunky, buggy, laggy, terrible UI, plain dumb software. The mobile apps that are the same horrible mess. Like most products one would assume them to get better over time if they were this bad. Not this product. It seems Uniden does not care. They don't even list them on their support page. This product is complete garbage and I would sell mine for anything I can get to get for the, just to rid of them at this point. The software is that bad.

Product Design and Hardware: B+

Software Design: F-

Overall: F- (because good hardware is useless without good software.)

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations