4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but needs some simple work to look realistic
This dummy security camera looks pretty realistic but it needs some simple modifications that should've been done by the manufacturer.

Published 14 months ago by Steve K.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!
Published 21 months ago by Linda S. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but needs some simple work to look realistic, July 5, 2013
This review is from: UniquExceptional UDC6 Outdoor Dome Fake Security Camera with BLINKING LIGHT (Electronics)

The brand name "UniquExceptional" is printed on the front of the security camera. If you google UniquExceptional you'll find that all they sell is dummy security cameras. I don't need my fake security camera advertising a fake security camera company. The good news, some 400 grit sandpaper will remove their name in a matter of seconds. It'll also leave a little dull spot on the housing but that's something I can live with.

The second issue is with the dome for the security camera. Dome security cameras, like this one, are a dome shape for a pretty simple reason; so you can't tell which way the camera is facing and therefore can't tell what area is under surveillance by the camera. The dome on this security camera is clear. It may look like it's blacked out in pictures because the camera inside follows the same dome shape in black plastic but the dome itself is clear. Inside the clear dome you can clearly make out the false camera lens. This leaves two problems, first, in a real dome security camera, you'd never be able to see a camera lens, and second, people that can see the lens would believe they know which area is being watched and may try to hide in the dead spots around your cameras. There's another quick fix for this one too. The dome is assembled with four small phillips head screws. Simply disassemble and hit the inside of the dome with a little black spray paint and you've got a very believable blacked out dome just like you'd see on a professional unit.

Finally, dome cameras would never have a red flashing light like a handheld video camera from the '90s. Of course, now that you've blacked out your dome no one would ever know even if you did bother to put batteries in the camera but, had the manufacturer blacked out the dome in the first place, they surely could have saved us a few dollars by not including the flashing light, or even the entire false lens piece of plastic all together.

But, once you've made these small modifications, you've got a pretty good looking dummy security camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice for the money.., September 17, 2011
Blair LaMere (Hesperia, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I install real working cameras as a sideline. There's a lot of dummy cameras that wouldn't fool your ancient grandmother. These domes look exactly like a working Axis PTZ unit. For the price, it's well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, so it's not gaudy, just big enough to be noticed, September 23, 2011
And having a white plastic housing, it's easy to keep clean. Looks just like those dome security cameras you see at the casinos and hotels, but a bit smaller. Used with signs and window stickers warning of security cameras on the premises, it sure does look convincing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fake but the result is real!, December 8, 2011
I love this fake security camera! So easy to install and though it's not real, the results seem pretty real to me. Unless you tell somebody its "secret", nobody I think will really know unless it's physically dislodged and disassembled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, January 17, 2012
One of the neighborhood kids decided to open one of my Amazon packages on my door step. Installed this camera and the sticker in the window and the problem has stopped. Looks legit, the blinking light will get your attention and the CCTV sticker will do the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very real except for one easily correctable function... THE BLINKING LIGHT, September 20, 2013
Being 60+ years old now I can confess to being a wild teenager. In those days we were acting out by slipping into construction sites at night and starting up the big machines that all boys wanted to drive. We just moved them about a bit and sometimes parked them nose to nose or blocked the driveways to cause a little 'fun' for the morning crew. Nothing too serious and never hurt anyone or anything. Still, we did not want to get caught so we quickly learned the ins and outs of security systems. We knew what was real, what was real but not installed correctly, and what was fake.We also learned the brand names for all of the security gear and which ones could be messed with and those not to mess with. Kids learn quick and we soon became experts.

I received my "UniquExceptional UDC6 Outdoor Dome Fake Security Camera with BLINKING LIGHT" only two days ago and it looks VERY real except for that BLINKING LIGHT. All real security cams that I know of, in a dome or not, do not have blinking lights. The logic of the security industry is that if all functional cams had a blinking light then the thieves could quickly pick out which ones were not activated or functional. Obviously that would not work so they just don't have them.

The exception might be if you want people to see a blinking light from a distance so that they will know someone is up. If so I suggest buying a fake keypad for your doors. They are expected to have blinking lights and most come with blinking lights. We have one and the batteries last two years.

We will use our fake dome without the batteries so NO BLINKING LIGHT. I also used a black magic marker to cover the brand name as all pros, and most semi-pros, will know the brand name of every fake cam out there. As kids we knew what worked by brand name, and what did not work. We avoided those that had the 'right' brand name.

Otherwise this little gimmick will do the job very well. We have a rent house in Houston and will be using in there. Just to be safe we also bought a very reasonably priced 'real' security system to install inside the house. It is wireless, offers inexpensive monitoring without any contract, has battery back up, and uses cell phone data circuits so the intruder cannot defeat it by cutting your phone line. If interested see the 'simplisafe' web sight. I think Amazon also carries their stuff.

Best of luck!

The following is from a leading security team that I cannot name here:

Red Security Lights:

The second thing to watch out for on fake security cameras is red lights. This feature is designed to draw attention to the camera and give the impression that the camera is recording, though these lights appear almost exclusively on fake cameras. The only lights on actual security cameras are green ones that indicate the camera has power. These are hidden in the back and are only a reference for owners and technicians. A flashing red light is actually a beacon to criminals, signalling that the home or business has no real security protection.

Panning Cameras:

Movement patterns are another difference between real and fake cameras. Many dummy camera manufacturers advertise a motor that turns the camera from side to side. However, very few real security cameras have a swivel mechanism, and the ones that do are typically designed to track the movement of people nearby, not simply pan back and forth. As with the red light, this feature may seem to add authenticity to a fake security system, but it instead reveals a camera’s artificial nature to criminals.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, December 1, 2012
Linda S. Smith (Western New York, USA) - See all my reviews
I've mounted this in an unlighted long, narrow driveway leading to a small private parking lot & my apartment entrance above commercial property in the business district of a small walkable community. There are numerous restaurants, music venues (bars), movie theater and bowling alley in a 2-block area where my apartment is located. The camera has proven to be a very effective deterrent to loitering and other undesirable activity in this area.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks like a camera!, July 17, 2012
The look is exactly like a camera. I have had several people comment on the new camera I installed, and said people better watch out. I do have 1 complaint. It takes batteries for the light to blink steady. The batteries died within 10 days twice. I do not plan on changing them again, as the batteries will quickly cost more than the camera. Overall I am pleased with what it is supposed to do, and that is look like a camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, February 24, 2012
I purchased three of these jewels to place on my shop, back door, and front of my house. Everyone that has seen the security lights think they are real. I recommend the item to anyone looking to let it be known you have security without the hefty price tag associated with real security cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks authentic, April 27, 2012
This camera does appear quite realistic. I put one under my boat house and one under my carport. Have not had them long enough to tell how battery life will be. I connected them to an electrical box with conduit running to it for more realism. I am satisfied with my selection.

Rate and Discover Movies