Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 10, 2006
Unique Ability

That is the title of the book I am working on right now. Great book by Catherine Nomura and Julia Waller. I say working on because I have already read the book but is one of those books that you have to do the exercises to get the value.

The theory is "the more you know yourself, the more you can spend time in your unique ability area and the happier, more productive and the more value you can add". I like the theory and believe in it.

The exercise is to ask the people that know me well to give me their input on what they think my unique talents, abilities and characteristics are and to use these to synthesize a unique ability statement about myself.

I have to say the responses I have had are humbling. I really need to live up to a lot to live up to what people think of me.

This book hits me at the right time. Since I sold to SYNNEX and changed roles from running the smaller company to the larger one, I often find myself in areas that are not my strengths.

My challenge is to figure out how best to add value while at the same time fitting within the SYNNEX culture or where appropriate to help mould the culture into a better one. The biggest challenge I face is moulding corporate culture but that could be a topic of a full blog itself.

Unique ability is a theory developed and perfected by Dan Sullivan of [...] Dan has developed a great consulting company based a lot on this principle. I like a lot about what Dan teaches but have a conflict with one of his ideas - to take lots of time off. One of my unique abilities is boundless energy and high work ethic and taking time off conflicts with the work ethic part. Also my success and industry demands high availability.

I have actually found the people at strategic coach to be rude. They do not return emails for example. I think this is a result of their work ethic. They do not see common courtesy as one of their top priorities so they do not do it. I listed this book as one of my top books in a Forbes article. This is huge and would help them sell a lot of books. I sent them a note telling them this and did not even get the courtesy of a thank you email.

This said, true maturity is the ability to filter. Do not reject what you can learn just because you disagree with one point.
on May 20, 2007
Unique Ability talks about the importance of living what you know the best, not dwelling on what you do not know. Guides and activities help make this user-friendly and the format is easy to understand. It truly makes you think, "Yeah, I do do that better than anyone I know." It helps you to focus on what you do great and how to accomplish more with less energy wasted on other less important things which take away your time and abilities.
on January 7, 2016
This provided a GREAT catalyst for me to examine my work life and helped me get real clear on my Unique Ability. I immediately started feeling a lot better. It's one of those things you kind of know or thing but you don't have a lot of clarity on it. Once it is clear you see how you can use your Unique Ability in a wide variety of work and life situations and thereby increase your enjoyment along with providing the people around you with the most possible value!

I recommend this for anyone ESPECIALLY those who may be frustrated or disillusioned with their professional lives. It's a MUST for Entrepreneurs and anyone who wants to seriously upgrade the value they provide others.
on January 12, 2014
Reading this did change my views of world. I had already kind of stumbled on my Unique Ability recently but this book gave a better explanation of what it is, some useful examples and ideas. It could be better at helping you find/recognise others to build your team around it but even though it scratches it only, the book is still 5 stars. For those who aren't yet aware of their own strengths as much. It's a 10 star book to read.
on December 7, 2014
Simply amazing. Will change your life if you take it seriously. If you want to take it to the next level, you need this. Also read anything by Dan Sullivan who is the originator of the idea of Unique Ability.
on August 2, 2015
I was turned on to Unique Ability through 10XTalk podcast. I love everything about the message Dan Sullivan and Strategic Coach is spreading.

This is a must read for anyone searching for the truth about themselves. This book will show you how to find and maximize your Unique Abilities for greater freedom and success in your life.

I am purchasing a copy for everyone in my family!
on May 27, 2007
I am pretty lazy when it comes to reading self-help books. I usually buy the audio book, but this book is extremely easy to read and very interesting. Besides, it involves other action when reading it, meaning, you will want to have a notebook to write downall the great guidelines they describe in here and put them in practice inmediatly. I REALLY LIKE THIS BOOK!!! I know I will be reading it more than once!!!
on May 10, 2005
This book is very helpful and insightful to unlocking your understanding of yourself. There are too many answer books out there giving generic advice like magic diets. This book aids the reader in understanding how to get to know themselves better...but it requires a good hard look at oneself with an open mind.
on June 8, 2014
I read it front to back in one long afternoon so glad I had my power cord.

Great job Dan Sullivan. More people in the world need to hear your approach. I bought every other book you have on here.
on January 5, 2013
This is in the top five of my recommended reading list and is a must read for any one involved in business. Reasonable price and quick delivery by seller. I would certainly do business with this seller again.