5.0 out of 5 stars A cornucopia of techniques, projects and information
Published on December 8, 2007 by Felting in Canada

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed
Published on February 26, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A cornucopia of techniques, projects and information, December 8, 2007
This review is from: Uniquely Felt (Paperback)
With a growing number of felting books out there this is the book that you will continue to use long after you learn the basic technique! Chris White manages to give you all the basic history and technical "hows" and "whys" in a way that is easy to understand along with lots of fabulous color visuals. She then follows up with a variety of techniques (including nunofelting and cobweb felt!) and 46 projects. Every time I pick it up I find another bit of information either on types of wool or appropriate tools for specific projects or just words of advice from Chris's ample well of knowledge. A well rounded book presented in a very user friendly format! A winner, for certain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book - substantial, March 4, 2008
This review is from: Uniquely Felt (Paperback)
This book is beautifully illustrated on substantial paper stock. The graphics are very well done. The book covers practicalities like proper posture while felt-making and watching out for creepy-crawlies in your wool. The techniques range from simple cord making to creating yardage for upholstery projects to making your own fedora. Up until now, the only felting I've done was the accidental machine washing of a wool scarf. I'm really looking forward to trying these techniques.

One caveat - if you are looking for a good reference for the popular craft of needle felting, you won't find very much here. There are only 3 pages skimming the topic. You might consider Indygo Junction's Needle Felting: 22 Stylish Projects for Home & Fashion for a better text on needle felting.

5.0 out of 5 stars the kind of book you want to quit your job just to try all the things in it... NOW, April 3, 2008
This review is from: Uniquely Felt (Paperback)
Just skimming through I caught one of my errors in wet felting (if a little bit of soap is good, then a lot of soap is better... NOT) So.. I can be a bit excessive.
The style is as one friend speaks with another. Wonderful analogies to bring home points and so much content. Amazon has a section for "look inside" and it is the tip of the string. If you are at all interested in wet felting, go for it. At 320 pages it is engaging/detailed content with personality and style. No cursory fluff overview. Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, February 26, 2011
Amazon Customer (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uniquely Felt (Paperback)
Bought this book because I'd heard so many rave reviews about it, but Ive got to say I was disappointed when I got it. I am a new felter, and it does have good instructions in it. The book is a gallery portraying various felting artists and their designs. Unfortunately, most of the designs/projects were rather bizarre/outlandish wearables. Not anything I would ever wear. And can't say that I've ever seen anyone walking down the street wearing anything remotely like the projects portrayed in this book. Overall, very informative, but not very realistic. If I had to do it over again, I would have rather borrowed it from the library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wet Felting Bible, January 7, 2008
This review is from: Uniquely Felt (Paperback)
Big book about wet felting. The best one on wet felting I saw. Big range of projects, a lot of information about different kinds of wool. Definetely would buy it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uniquely Fabulous!, February 9, 2008
This review is from: Uniquely Felt (Paperback)
If you love fiber - you need this book! There seems to be a huge influx of books on the art of felting...but "Uniquely Felt" has served me as "The Textbook" for this exciting fiber art. Christine White is able to speak in easily understood terms as she explains the various nuances of this craft and she does so in a wonderfully conversational way, and best of all she teaches you how to listen to the fiber and work with it creatively! For me this book was like sitting at my studio table with my fiber and a concept...and Ms. White laid out in concise and lively manner the whys and how-tos to assist me in creating the projects outlined in the text.
This book is for everyone, from those with a passing interest in felting to the fiber artist who wants to uncover this timeless and fascinating art. All you need is this book, some fiber and a bit of water and soap and you will be able to create these projects as a springboard to all things Unique to Felt!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best New Nuno Felting Book!, January 6, 2008
This review is from: Uniquely Felt (Paperback)
This is an excellent felting book! It answers any question you ever had on felting. Chris White brings you through her learning experience. Great projects and it is the size of a text book you would purchase for a college course taking you well beyond felting 101!! It is well written and an enoyable book to read. Thanks Chris!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent info and accessible to beginners, July 30, 2008
Mary L. (Chattanooga, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uniquely Felt (Paperback)
I'm new to working with felt and this book is an excellent introduction to the material and various techniques. There are enough choices of projects to keep me busy for a long time, too. I like having lots of choices when I'm learning to work in a new material, and that's definitely the case here. The projects are described well and the materials list is excellent. Also, the list of resources is a plus - no long hunts for anything too obscure or expensive.

I would definitely recommend this book for anyone new to working with felt, and even for those who have some experience there are some inspiring variations and techniques they would enjoy.

Very well illustrated, too - I do like having good pictures when I'm learning something new!

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must' for any serious needlework library, March 2, 2008
This review is from: Uniquely Felt (Paperback)
Felt holds all kinds of potential for unique creations: add water and soap and you can create all kinds of items, or use cobwebbing techniques to make scarves, shawls and more. UNIQUELY FELT is not your typical applique guide: it offers crafters a fine set of projects based on felt and water use, and explains all techniques options, from traditional applications to needlework, 3-D seamless, cobweb and more. Large-size color photos blend with color sidebars of information and easy step-by-step detail for nearly fifty projects demonstrating a range of options for felt. A 'must' for any serious needlework library, this goes far beyond the typical felt/applique approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars My recommendation!, April 20, 2011
This review is from: Uniquely Felt (Paperback)
I am a felter and a felting teacher, and am often asked by my students to recommend good felting books. I always take out my copy of Uniquely Felt and tell them that if they only buy one book on felting, it should be Uniquely Felt by Christine White. It is literally a felting bible with instruction and information about all aspects of felting and fiber right at your finger tips! So well written and illustrated. I have read it like a novel and enjoyed the experience!

Uniquely Felt
Uniquely Felt by Christine White (Paperback - November 14, 2007)
$24.95 $17.96