Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: United Cutlery UC1264 LOTR Sting - The Sword of Frodo Baggins
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 29, 2011
This sword is awesome. It's heavier than I expected (since I've never held a real sword) and very sharp. The only problem I have with it it's that I went goblin hunting to the woods and couldn't find any, so the sword never glow blue. So I cannot vow that the sword will work like the original. However if goblins are not your concern then by all means get this sword.

It's very sharp and NOT a toy. So I wouldn't buy this for teenagers and kids. Otherwise a GREAT addition to any LOTR fans.
44 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2012
Amazing sword, amazing quality, amazing price! This is a very high quality product. This sword has a good weight, and is made to very high standards. In the photo it is a little hard to tell but the the runes on the blade are engraved, not laser etched or silk screened like some other cheaper replicas. This sword is well worth the money. You will not regret your decision to buy this sword.

As a side note for those of you who like to know the blade arrived with a razor sharp edge. A little to sharp for wall hanger in my opinion. it was however very east to slightly dull the edge with a little careful work with emery cloth. It did not ruin the look but it would now be a challenge to cut yourself with it. Even with these modifications this is an adult collectors item and I would not reccomend it for children or teens. This is not a toy, it is a real sword and should be treated as such.
on October 25, 2013
Great reproduction of Sting from the LOTRs movies. This is great for slaying Orcs or Goblins and even pesky spiders. I decided to buy this version because I liked how it had the runes on the blade and the hand guard. Sting from the Hobbit doesn't have the runes on it. The runes look great on the blade by the way.

If you are a LOTRs or Hobbit fan this will make a great addition to your collection. It looks great hanging on the wall of my office next to Glamdring!
on February 8, 2013
So I have 5 other United Cutlery swords from Lord of the Rings as well as two from Prince of Persia... I have to say that Sting was smaller then i thought it would be but it is a hobbit sword right? I have it on the wall somewhat close to my Gandalf sword which is way larger but having the two together is just awesome I'm also planning on getting Thorin's sword to complete the set that was found in the Troll lair from The Hobbit... Ok about sting, while it is small it looks incredibly detailed and sweet! It's a slight bit smaller then you would expect a gladiator sword to be! It looks great on the wall and I also have the scabbard to go with it which makes it all the more authentic! I highly recommend this to anyone that collects swords or loves Lord of the Rings.
on September 19, 2015
To start off I WILL say that I was underwhelmed at first. The blade was skinnier than I was expecting and the silver leaf pattern on the handle looks like it was simply painted on, which gave the blade a cheap feeling when looking at it up close. The blade came with a false edge for me despite what others have said about it being sharp. I don't know what that's about since i bought it from the default seller and not one of the cheaper options that can sometimes be knockoffs. Despite not being sharp the sword is VERY pointy, which helps it live up to its name I suppose. Anyway, the thing I really love about the blade is the bevel it has to it. Most of my swords have cheap diamond or hexagonal shapings to them, but this one has a hollow ground shape to it. It's mesmerizing to just stare at it and watch the light move around it.
So yeah, not perfect but still very nice. Seems like a solid 4 stars to me. Quality seems a little lower than the price should allow, but given the brand image there's not much to do about that.
on January 5, 2015
The Sting Sword was somewhat disappointing due to the handle not being wrapped in leather. It's a fake print stamped on. However, my husband says he'll keep it regardless. Also, beforehand, I check numerous reviews on this Sting, and several said the blade is very sharp and to be careful when touching the blade. They must have been joking because it isn't sharp at all. Which is safer but takes away from the genuine feeling. The sword fits nicely in the Sting Scabbard which is sold separately. It does look nice together. So that's it.
on January 31, 2011
This sword is pretty authentic. It was a great price considering what the cost of one was in New Zealand when I was looking at one very similar there for $800. It's made of steel so it is relatively heavy. I really like it.
on December 15, 2012
I was taking my daily stroll through Mirkwood the other day, when all of a sudden I was surrounded by giant spiders. I unsheathed my authentic Sting replica sword and proceeded to slay the foul spawn of Ungoliant. The rest of them caught sight of my blade and ran off into the woods screaming.

My only gripe with this sword is that I got into some trouble with some orcs because this replica failed to glow blue.
on December 31, 2013
Fit the United Cutlery scabbard like a glove, sealing with a distinctive click. The grip was very well done with wood and a metal inlay. The engraving on the blade was very well done. The blade was very sharp, requiring care in handling. Having the scabbard for storing makes it much safer. The crosspiece and blade are well mated with no give. Could make a smaller LOTR logo on the blade. Excellent piece of work.
on February 9, 2015
I bought the Bilbo Baggins sword and sure wish I'd had this one to compare it to so I could have sent it back. The LOTR sword is exquisite, not a flaw, well a couple of little ones...I'd have to show them to you for you to notice. It really is beautiful and the lettering/engraving is done very well and adds to the original. Ironic that the sword says 'I am the spiders bane'. Elrond...Galadriel...Gandalf...could they see somehow the battle between Samwise and Shelob somehow? Never underestimate a furious hobbit and an Elvish blade.