Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:11 Mins
Published 12 months ago by jjceo

3.0 out of 5 stars As unreliable and as fast as a USB 2.0 hub.
Published 9 months ago by dhoward

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very nice adapter with dual capability as a USB port multiplier and it adds an Ethernet port to your computer also!, September 17, 2013
Length:: 4:11 Mins

This is a nice and powerful dual purpose adapter for your computer you can add 3 UBS 3.0 ports to your computer plus an Ethernet port by using one of your USB 3.0 ports. The unit is powered by your computer's USB port so you have to understand that the power from your USB port is used to power the adapter and also shared by whatever devices you plug into the hub. Using a USB 3.0 port on your computer you will have 900 mA to split and using a USB 2.0 port you will have 500 mA to split. Don't forget that the hub will also split the data communication bandwidth between the three new ports.

Inside of the box you will find the hub itself, a disk with Ethernet adapter drivers and a brief instruction manual. On my computer using Windows 7 Professional I did not have to install the driver disk into my computer and the Ethernet port worked perfectly. My computer stated that it found an ASIX AX88171 USB to Gigabit adapter. It can support 10, 100 and 1000 Ethernet speeds for wired networks. The hub 3.0 ports are plug_and_play with my computer and they also required no additional drivers. This additional Ethernet port is ideal for someone whose Ethernet port has failed and on a laptop and most other computers. That is usually a mother board problem that is expensive to repair. The USB cable coming out of the adapter is 12 inches long and it is really too short for a tower computer but it would be ideal for a laptop computer.

I was able to use and power three separate USB devices simultaneously and they were:
* A 128 GIG SSD high speed thumb drive
* A laptop USB powered hard disk drive that draws more than 600 mA DC
* A 64 GIG medium speed thumb drive

All three devices were recognized by my computer and I was able to read and write to each one of them without any issues. If you were using a printer, scanner and perhaps a hard disk drive that had their own separate AC power supplies you would also have no power issues at all. Just remember that the USB 3.0 communication bandwidth is being shared and if all of the devices are reading or writing as the same time they will not achieve the theoretical USB 3.0 data speed of 5 Gb/s.

I ran speed tests on the 128 GIG thumb drive and I got write speeds of 63.761 MB/s and read speeds of 173.557 MB/s which is a pretty good result. I rate this product at 5 stars. I like the dual functionality of this device and the test results I had were good.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improved performance on a netbook computer, September 24, 2013
Length:: 0:35 Mins

Unitek 3.0 USB hub is a compact hub with three USB slots on top, and an Ethernet connection on one end. It weights 2.1 oz, and is 4.25"L x 1.125"W x 0.75"H. I like having USB slots on the top as I find this configuration easier to work with than when the slots are on the side.

This hub performed very well in my speed tests, one of the fastest hubs I have tested (results included below). I was pleased with both USB and Ethernet performance. I found a practical use for the Ethernet adapter. I used it to improve the performance of the built-in Ethernet in a netbook computer that is 2 years.

ETHERNET port
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While thinking of how best to measure the performance of the Ethernet port on this hub I came up with a great practical use for it. I have a 2 year old Acus netbook computer which has a 100 MB Ethernet connection and a 2.0 USB port. This means anything I need to copy to and from this netbook computer will be transferred at the speed less than 100MB (the actual measurement shows 90 MB). 2.0 USB port is capable of 400MB data transfer.

This means by attaching the netbook using one of the Unitek hub's USB ports (it is limited to USB 2.0 because of the netbook computer capabilities) and then using the hub's Ethernet port to connect this computer to the rest of the network I can upgrade the netbook's built-on Eithernet speed from 90 MB to a much better number.

My tests show that the speed using Unitek hub is 302MB. This more than 3 times better than before! Since I use the netbook computer for storing data (images) when I am on the road and then transferring them back to my computer the speed of the data transfer is critical to me, so I am very pleased with this upgrade.

USB ports
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To answer how well USB ports perform on this hub I put the hub through a set of tests that I use on all USB devices so I can compare them to each in "apples to apples" comparison, this way if some unit does not perform well I notice it by comparing it to other devices I have tested. My test consist of copying a large set of mp3 files totalling 638916 bytes. I measured CPU time and clock time. I test to make sure that all ports work, I test to see if there is a significant difference in performance between ports, and I test two ports at the same time.

I tested the hub on Windows XP, Windows 7, and Linux. This USB 3.0 hub is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and worked well on all three operating systems I tested.

I used both USB 2.0 slot on my hardware as well as 3.0 USB slot. I tested with USB 2.0 memory flash drive and USB 3.0 memory flash drive. Finally, for comparison, I plugged the same memory flash drives directly into the computer USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.

The results of my tests are presented in the tables below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TEST SET#1 (USB hub plugged into USB 2.0 computer slot, USB 2.0 memory flash drive at a time)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Port1:_______ 0.837s (cpu) 2:22.90 (clock time)
Port2:_______ 0.791s (cpu) 2:24.50 (clock time)
Port3:_______ 0.771s (cpu) 2:25.71 (clock time)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TEST SET#2 (USB hub plugged into USB 3.0 computer slot, one memory flash drive at a time)
Port1:_______ 0.698s (cpu) 2:28.74(clock time) [2.0 USB flash memory]
Port2:_______ 0.740s (cpu) 0:57.06(clock time) [3.0 USB flash memory]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TEST#3 (single flash drive plugged directly into the computer, Unitech Hub is not used)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Built-in USB 2.0 Port CPU:____2.873s (cpu), 3:55:16 (clock) (2.0 USB stick)
Built-in USB 3.0 Port CPU:____0.955s (cpu), 0:56.16 (clock) (2.0 USB stick)
Built-in USB 3.0 Port CPU:____1.216s (cpu), 0:56.98 (clock) (3.0 USB stick)

I received this USB hub for testing and review from the manufacturer. I ran a large number of tests on the hub to provide an unbiased performance evaluation. Overall, the USB hub performed well and based on these test earned a 5 star rating.

Ali Julia review

5.0 out of 5 stars USAGE: Surface Pro, October 11, 2013
Damon Downing (Kansas City, MO.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: [3 Ports USB 3.0 + 1 Adapter ethernet] Unitek 3 Ports USB 3.0 Bus-Powered Hub with RJ45 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Converter LAN Wired Network Adapter for Laptops, Ultrabooks and Tablet PCs with USB Ports, Compatible with Windows XP/7/8, Mac OS-X, Linux (Personal Computers)
I use this with my Microsoft Surface Pro. I didn't even have to install the drivers, they were all detected.

I have not had any issues and the copy times between 2 USB 3.0 devices is amazing.

The construction is very sturdy and it is amazingly small. From the pictures you can't really tell, but it is very compact and I just throw it in my laptop bag with the other peripherals and I never worry about it. Some accessories I have are cheap and I would worry about them, but not this one. It is rock solid.

Hope the helps.

Damon Downing

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy!!! Works great with Windows 8.1, January 29, 2014
On some of the reviews people were complaining this is not compatible with Windows 8.1. I have a Toshiba Click Hybrid with only 1 3.0 usb connection and only wifi capable. With this item I now have 3, 3.0 usb's and a Ethernet connection. All I had to do was plug and play took a while to load after that I tested it by connecting 3 usb flash drives, and the computer recognized all 3. I also connected the Ethernet wire to it. I was worried cause my laptop is ONLY wifi no ethernet connection anywhere on it and I was thinking it would not work with it, but nope my laptop turned off wifi and the symbol for Ethernet (hardline connected) showed up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recommended if you need Gigabit Ethernet and more USB 3.0 ports, February 7, 2014
I purchased this adapter in January 2014 for my Acer S7-392 that comes only with 2 USB 3.0 ports and no Ethernet adapter. This is the perfect add-on, It works flawlessly all the time at Gigabit speeds, is fully compatible with Windows 8.1 and provides 3 additional USB 3.0 ports so by using it I actually win 2 more ports. Its compact (although it could be smaller I think) and easy to carry so it fits perfectly in my small briefcase. Is the perfect accessory for modern Ultrabooks with limited USB ports and no Ethernet. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, comes in handy, January 14, 2014
I'm an IT guy and this gadget comes in really handy all the time. I use one to give my hyper-v virtual PC at home a dedicated network link and I keep the other one in my backpack so I always have one with me. You wouldn't believe how often it is useful. If you have a wifi-tablet (windows tabs for example) that don't have a wired Ethernet port, this is a must-have accessory. Doing big file copies over wi-fi is slow and lets say you want to quickly join a tab to a business domain, well its a whole lot more simple just to plug this in over USB and get on the network that way. The quality is good, the performance is great, and its super convenient. The price isn't bad either. I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug&Play with Windows 7, January 21, 2014
Plugged into USB3 port and Windows Update fetched the driver automagically. No need for included CD.

Used CrystalDiskMark to bench a RAMDrive on my desktop via this adapter on my laptop, to see what its maximum speed is:

103MB/s read, 106MB/s write. That/s 0.9 gigabit. I can't complain about that considering TCP and Windows overhead!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ubuntu 12.04 use requires building kernel drivers for the ethernet, March 12, 2014
Summary
The device generally works with current Linux OSes and on older systems (12.04-ish) it is possible to build the driver yourself. USB3 speeds for storage and GigE speeds for networking if running 3.11.0+ kernels.

Details:
While it might support Linux, the drivers are not built-into the 12.04 kernels v3.2.x. At least I didn't see them and ended up grabbing the source and compiling it. Hopefully, with 14.04 is released, the drivers are included and life will be good again.

What does that mean?
* After every kernel release, expect to rebuild these drivers. That is a hassle.
* There isn't an install-install package - like a .rpm or .deb package maintained by the vendor.
* Do you know "make" - you will.

Ubuntu 13.10 and later DO have the drivers. See the update at the bottom for more about this.

The included mini-CD driver disk doesn't fit in my laptop "slider" DVD player and the netbooks don't have any optical drives. That means a trip to google to find the drivers. www.unitek-products . com/en/product_detail.php?id=253 was the location found.

I didn't find the performance THAT much better, if at all, on an old Netbook when using rsync.
$ rsync -avz --progress --stats
returned between 6.5 and 7.5 MB/s across a 20 file transfer. ssh is used by default and on a slower Atom CPU, the CPU performance does matter. The tested machine only has USB2, which is 400Mbps in theory, but even 200Mbps would have been nice.

The entire house has gigabit networking, switches and CAT5e or CAT6 cabling. 10+MB/s would be expected for a 100base-t network and 40-50 MB/s would be expected for this device over a USB2 connection. That is not what I saw. Transfers to and from the same server from other GigE connected devices are routinely around 70-80MB/s.

I did not use any tunable parameters for the driver. The readme included with the drivers, specified a few options for the insmod command. Different settings may improve performance.

I purchased this to be used with a new Acer C720 netbook running Ubuntu which has a single USB3 port and SSD. I'll update this once testing on that machine has happened. The CPU on the C720 should remove any slowness of a dual Atom CPU.

USB
======
I connected 2 USB2 devices and they were recognized immediately by pcmanfm. Local transfers showed about 15MB/s transfers using a 32G USB3 Flash drive (Patriot brand). Again, I believe the slower netbook performance and spinning HDD didn't show the possible speeds.
Decided to run iperf tests in client and server mode on the USB2 port connection:
Client: 216 Mbits/sec
Server: 309 Mbits/sec
Reputable for a USB2 connection.

Testing results for USB3 ports has to wait.

Oh - and I'm be cautious about MB/s and Mb/s terms here. 1 MB/s == 8 Mb/s.
===================
UPDATE:

USB3 - the performance seems to be USB3 speeds limited by the only available USB3 device connected to this specific machine. See throughput reported above.

Ethernet - 850 - 950 Mbit/sec. What more can we ask? There is good news. The driver is included in the default kernels for 13.10 and 14.04 Beta. It was automatically recognized and loaded by the OS. I suspect other flavors will load the driver exactly the same.
$ uname -rm
3.11.0-19-generic x86_64

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, January 17, 2014
I use Windows on a 2013 Retina MacBook Pro and found out that any thunderbolt device removes sleep and you have to shutdown the entire system to plug-in or remove thunderbolt devices. I was stuck with Wi-Fi only until I found this great device. Now I have gigabit ethernet and extra usb ports (which are extremely handy due to only having 2 ports on the laptop).

This shipped with some software with it but so far I have not needed it and everything seems to be working superbly.

3.0 out of 5 stars As unreliable and as fast as a USB 2.0 hub., December 7, 2013
Contrary to what other reviewers have said (likely due to the fact they received it for free) this isn't such a great product. As a video editor, most of devices used with this are portable hard drives. Even straight through (only one device plugged into the hub) the read/write speed is limited to a mere 40Mb/s (about 1.5x usb 2.0 standard) and with two drives plugged in, (self powered!) is unstable. Drives eject without warning or fail to deliver reliable connections. The event that prompted me to write the review was while using a portable DVD burner plugged into the hub while burning a .mov file on a drive plugged into the hub. It simply couldn't do it. My computer is a capable Retina Macbook Pro, but this hub cannot reliably manage large quantities of data. Overload it and it fails. The ethernet port also requires a driver to use with Macs, and if you don't have access to a 3.5" tray-style CD rom drive (the ethernet driver is provided on a half-diameter CD) you'll have to obtain it from the web, no easy task if you're not computer literate. If you're just looking to plug in a load of thumb drives I suppose it will work due to the low data transfer rate, but with SSDs or 7200RPM external usb 3.0 drives, its unreliable.

Edit: Changed from 2 to 3 stars, thanks to wonderful customer service that sent me a new one no questions asked. The new one works as advertised, is much faster, and is more reliable than the first. Maybe I received a bad one from the start but their customer service was relentless and persistent to correct my issue.

Rate and Discover Movies