From the Back Cover
DB2 Universal Database v8 builds on the world's #1 enterprise database to simplify anytime/anywhere information integration, streamline management, automate resource tuning,enhance business intelligence, and maximize performance, scalability, and reliability.
Now, IBM offers complete, start-to-finish coverage of DB2 Universal Database v8 administration and development for UNIX, Linux, and Windows platforms... and authoritative preparation for IBM's newest DB2 certification exam.
This definitive reference and self-study guide covers every aspect of deploying and managing DB2 Universal Database v8, including best practices for DB2 database design and development; day-to-day administration and backup; expert techniques for deploying networked, Internet-centered, and XML-based database applications; migrating to DB2 UDB v8; and much more.You'll also find an unparalleled collection of IBM tips and tricks for maximizing the performance, availability, and value of any database system. Coverage includes:
- Manageability and serviceability enhancements, including new tools for storagemanagement and monitoring database health
- Performance improvement withmultidimensional clustering, enhanced prefetching, threading of Java UDFs and storedprocedures, and materialized query tables
- New Setup wizards, configuration assistants, GUItools, and DB2 Administration Server (DAS) improvements
- Availability andscalability enhancements
- New DB2 v8 Replication and Data Warehouse Centers
- Major improvements for developers, including SQL, XML, JDBC, and CLIenhancements
Whether you're a DBA, a developer, a DB2 certification candidate, or all three, DB2Universal Database v8 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Database AdministrationCertification Guide is the one book you can't afford to be without.
About the CD
- Straight from IBM, the ultimate guide to running DB2 v8 and preparing for IBM's latest DB2certification exam!
- In-depth coverage of DB2 v8 database administration and development
- Covers new DB2 v8 enhancements in manageability, serviceability, reliability, availability, and performance
- Contains in-depth coverage of new DB2 v8 tools, including the Replication, Data Warehouse, and Development Centers
- Presents expert tips and best practices from IBM's own DB2 customer support organization
The CD-ROM included with this book contains a complete trial version of DB2 UDB V8Personal Edition, plus the DB2DEMO program to help explore the many features of DB2.
About the Author
GEORGE BAKLARZ, IBM Senior Manager for DB2 Technical Sales Support, works closely withcustomers to help them understand new DB2 technology, and to gain their feedback for improvingDB2 products. He has spent 20 years at IBM working on various aspects of database technology.He is also a lecturer at the University of Guelph, teaching relational database concepts tostudents. BILL WONG, IBM DB2 Program Director, is responsible for assisting customers tounderstand IBM's latest DB2 technology and future directions for Linux, Life Sciences, and GridComputing. His 18 years of database experience encompass DB2 system and databaseadministration, technical sales support, vendor enablement, and product planning.