4.0 out of 5 stars There are better (and brighter!) versions

Published on February 4, 2006 by K. Lennon

4.0 out of 5 stars There are better (and brighter!) versions, June 16, 2003
S. Crane "Ourflyte" (Gardena, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3D Solar System (Toy)
We wish the "planets" included glowed brighter and longer, and that the "200 adhesive stars" weren't just a strip of variously-shaped stickers (some so tiny they had to be removed with tweezers!), but all-in-all you get what you pay for and it is at least teaching our son about the solar system. The planets are also expected to be hung from the ceiling using fishing line and what amount to thumbtacks, so I recommend having some good nails or hooks at your disposal or you will probably be frustrated by bent tacks and hammered fingers. I will add that there are much brighter and longer-lasting plastic glow-stars out there. We found some and have made our son's room much more impressive since this purchase. We just tell him the dimmer stars are the ones further away. :-) Put stars up in your kid's room! It's really cool. Just get a lot and get good ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational Room Decorations, January 8, 2004
Micole Roy (Sugar Land, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3D Solar System (Toy)
The educational value of having the planets hang from our son's room is great. At 4 years-old, he could name the nine planets thanks in large part to this "toy". So I give it the highest marks in educational value. A little tid-bit about each of the planets is provided on a panthlet in this set and I read it to our son as my husband hung the set. Our son actually memorized much of what I read to him and when the set was new he asked me to reread the panthlet to him several times to fill in the pieces of information that he had forgotten.
It's also fun in that our son enjoys showing it to our guests and telling them about the planets. However, I rate the set as 4 out of 5 stars in the fun category simply because it is more like decoration. This set hangs from the ceiling, so you never play with it or even touch it once it is hung. You simply enjoy looking at it and talking about it.
The downside of this set is that the stars are really small stickers so you will want to purchase some larger glow-in-the-dark stars. Also it is a pain to hang this set since you have to tie fishing line to each of the planets and then use tack-like objects to connect them to the ceiling. But once you have it all set up your child will probably be pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent educational toy, July 15, 2002
This review is from: 3D Solar System (Toy)
Bought this for my 2-yr old son, who has been asking for planets for some time now (I think he picked up planets from one of his baby einstein videos). When I first showed him the box, his eyes lit up and would not let it go. Putting it together, all he wanted to do was hold the strings (that the planets were attached to) and kick the planets; it takes quite a bit of patience to tie the fishing line to the planets, while keeping the little ones at bay. We finally got them hung on the ceiling, along with the accompanied glow in the dark stars/moons/shapes. When we turned off the lights, the planets came alive! He loved it! He just layed in bed, looking up at his solar ceiling. And he now asks for the planets by name ... especially Jupiter and Earth. Well worth the...investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice, March 12, 2005
This review is from: 3D Solar System (Toy)
My son recently finished a study of the solar system in his preschool class and was very excited about what he had learned. I searched for several items that I could purchase to both educated him further and that would add a decorative touch to his room. This item did both. I was rather put off by most reviews on the ease, or in most cases lack of ease, of installation. It took me 10 minutes to string up the planets, afix the fish line to the little star tacks and place them in my ceiling. . . a breeze. If the planets are near a light source they glow brightly and into the night. Infact we awoke this morning and they were still faintly glowing. Impressive. As for the stickers, well they are what they are...tiny. I used them on some left over spiderweb from halloween to create the milky way around the planets and the paper mache sun we created and they work fine. I didn't even need a tweezer. Great product!

Tip for installation - tie the string to the planet first in a knot, then tie a loop knot at the other end. Take that and slip it around the nail of the tack and tighten. The star head will keep the knot from sliding off the nail and it will be secure to hold the planets up. If you actually try to tie the fish line around/across the star head it will take hours and will make for a frustrating installation...

5.0 out of 5 stars The winner, December 5, 2003
kc "kc31824" (STAMFORD, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3D Solar System (Toy)
My 5 year old is interested in the planets so I bought 3 different versions of this concept at roughly the same price point to try out. This was the best of the lot. The 3D spheres hanging from the cieling in his room are very cool and give real perspective to how the planets work. We used is centerally located cieling light as the sun.
Downside is they're a pain to hang up -- tying fishing line around a thumbtack 9 times is a challenge. We also taped the heavier planets because the tacks look like they'll come out.
But still, overall, this beats the 2D mobile type competitors hands down -- I'd recommend it but set aside an hour or two to hang them up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad product, March 15, 2005
M. Pratt (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3D Solar System (Toy)
We got this over two years ago for my daughter when she was 6 months old. We were looking for a mobile that wasn't "traditional." She still loves it and so does her baby sis. Yes, there isn't a sun, but if you look at the proportions, you would need a beach ball for the sun! We hung the planets from differ lengths of fishing line. Our only problem was Jupiter was too low and we kept hitting it. That was easy to fix. Don't forget to put the star stickers on the star tacks. If a tack fall out of the ceiling, you can use a flashlight at night to locate it quickly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. 5 year old loves it!, April 14, 2003
Jon K "bkpine" (Manhattan Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3D Solar System (Toy)
This thing is great. Would suggest purchasing additional and larger glow in the dark stars to compliment the sysyem. The only thing it lacks is that it doesn't come with the moon or the sun. Critical. As far as entertainment and bringing a kids room to life,... unbeatable. I have slept in the same room with my son the past 3 nights sent we set it up. My son tells everyone that comes to our house to come see his room. Knows all the planets now. Highly recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, February 4, 2006
K. Lennon (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3D Solar System (Toy)
We have been completely disappointed with this set. Our boys (ages 3 and 5) received it as a gift...and I certainly hope the purchaser didn't pay $20! The planets are flimsy plastic balls in two pieces. They are various sizes, but are NOT remotely to scale. The fishing line and tacks are tedious to assemble. Gift buyers should be SURE the recipients want to attach nine planets to their celing with tacks and extra adhesive putty (not everyone does!). We would much rather have a cool mobile where the planets could rotate around a sun (which is missing from this set). Ours is going in the trash soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want one too, February 10, 2004
Corey Smith (University Heights, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3D Solar System (Toy)
My daughter got one of these but never showed much interest, so we hung it in my 4-yo son's room. It was so cool, the planets glow really brightly and in different colors....Jupiter is kind of red and neptune is blueish. I take every opportunity to go in his room and watch these, I want my own set. Now all I need to do is convince my wife.
Very cool toy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Whack, November 20, 2012
This review is from: 3D Solar System (Toy)
Just got this in and it is TOTALLY CHEAP. This is .99 cents store quality with a fancy box.

They're just plastic little balls

3D Solar System