From the Back Cover
This all-in-one reference will show you the quickest, most efficient way to set up and manage your Unix system. You'll find this updated edition to be an invaluable resource for Unix basics, user-friendly tools, and troubleshooting techniques -- whether you're running a workstation or a server. Inside, Unix gurus Yves Lepage and Paul Iarrera share real-world case studies to help you maximize your system's potential. Plus, you get their expert advice on Linux, BSD, and other Open Source options; how-to guidance on setting up an at-home Unix system; in-depth coverage of hardware requirements and connectivity issues; and more.
Inside, you'll find complete coverage of Unix
* Understand the guts of your Unix system &mdash from kernel to shell
* Implement top-notch security measures
* Implement interprocess communications using several methods
* Get up to speed on ISP connectivity issues
* Administer a Unix workstation, Internet server, Mail server, and more
* Manage login servers
* Maneuver through the Unix file system
* Troubleshoot your Unix network
2 BONUS CD-ROMs!
* Slackware(r): Linux v7.0
* Valuable programming and administration tools
Build and manage a peak-performance Unix system
Implement a fully scalable network with Internet and intranet connectivity
Secure your system -- from firewalls to logins
About the Author
Paul Iarrera is an information systems consultant working in the financial and communications industries. He has written course materials, and provided hands-on UNIX systems management training for IT professionals in the corporate environment. His experience implementing UNIX solutions for enterprise-level computing affords him knowledge and expertise in-depth UNIX systems integration.