4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for what it is
Published 16 months ago by Dave

1.0 out of 5 stars save your money
Published 23 months ago by Shawn

1.0 out of 5 stars save your money, December 8, 2012
Stay away from this product is my advice, here is why. I backed this project on kickstarter, as it looked pretty good. When i received the product, i opened the box only to find the micro usb port in the remote had fallen out! Very cheap construction on the unit itself, and the remote. When i plugged in the unit to my TV, it would not connect to my wireless network. When i tried pressing the flimsy reset button on the side, it wasnt doing anything. It then became recessed into the unit, at which point i used a little screwdriver to push it. It stiill did nothing to reset the unit. Troubleshooting with them was a joke, and i was told to send it back. Once they received it, i got a couple of snarky emails asking me why there were marks on the reset button, which i explained to them. After 2 or 3 weeks, they finally emailed me to say that it was my fault, and they were not going to replace the unit. They offered me to purchase another unit from them! Needless to say, i was less than thrilled with their proposition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for what it is, July 16, 2013
This review is from: Equiso Streaming Smart Stick (Electronics)
First, this review is about the RETAIL version of the stick. I've seen a lot of bad reviews from people complaining about the one of the two kickstarter versions, which is partly what prompted me to write this review. To the best of my knowledge, the kickstarter versions aren't available anymore, so people really need honest reviews of the retail version from people who aren't harboring a grudge about an outdated model.

The retail version of the Equiso has a dual core processor, 1Gb of RAM, and 8Gb of internal SD card storage. Only 6.32Gb is available to the user, 1.44Gb for apps and 4.88Gb for media. I'm guessing the other 1.68Gb is for storing all the necessary files in case you need to do a factory reset. There is also a port for an external micro SD card if you want to use one. Besides that, there is one USB type A port for accessories and one micro USB port for power or connecting to a computer.

The USB accessory port comes occupied by the RF receiver for the wireless mouse/remote/keyboard. Personally, I don't like the supplied remote. It's too clicky, feels kinda cheap, and sometimes the buttons don't respond well or you have to really mash them to get them to respond. The mouse movement didn't feel very precise. It's hard to explain unless you have a different "air mouse" to compare it to. A lot of people complain that the power button doesn't do anything, but that just means they haven't read the instructions. There is a way to program the remote buttons like the power button to perform operations on your TV or sound system, but it won't do anything until you "train" it with another infrared remote. As for the keyboard, the remote is supposed to lock the cursor when you flip it over to use the keyboard. However, I've found that you need to hold the keyboard almost perfectly level for it to do this. Otherwise, the cursor wanders all over the place while you're trying to type. Also, some air mouse remotes allow you to control the cursor while in keyboard mode, but the Equiso remote does not.

As far as performance goes, I have no complaints. I wasn't really expecting to play tons of games on this, and I don't even know how I would play most games with the remote or even a keyboard and mouse. The Equiso lacks bluetooth, so a bluetooth gamepad isn't an option. The only option I can think of is plugging in a USB gamepad, which I haven't yet tried. Streaming video quality is good and smooth. Youtube seems to have a memory buffer issue that causes long videos to have to pause and load every few minutes. So far Netflix and Crunchyroll work great. I've had the stick randomly crash and restart on me twice now, but those occurrences are rare and happen about as frequently as on my phone. Maybe it's just an Android thing. I also noticed the stick gets pretty warm after watching video, but I've been assured by tech support that this is normal and safe. Still, I'd keep it in a well ventilated area when in use.

There was an issue I had with the Wifi performance that is worth mentioning. I ditched the supplied remote in favor of a third party air mouse/keyboard/remote which also uses a small wireless USB receiver. When the receiver was plugged directly into the USB port, it caused some sort of interference with the built in Wifi antenna that made the connection incredibly slow. The Wifi signal itself appeared to be very strong, but the data speeds were many times slower than they were supposed to be. I solved this problem by changing the channel on my Wifi router and using a USB extension cable to move the wireless receiver away from the Equiso stick. If anyone's curious, the air mouse I'm using is the Mele f10 pro, which allows mouse control in both remote mode and keyboard mode.

Pros:
Good video streaming performance, no noticeable frame skipping or choppiness
Decent stability
Lots of apps to choose from
Small form factor

Cons:
Supplied remote is a pain to use
Some popular apps like iHeartradio not officially supported through the Google Play Store (although it's easy to find and install an .apk from a different source)
Lack of bluetooth
Gets a little hotter than I'd like. Should have had some sort of heat sink solution.

Overall Impression:
It looks and acts like a basic android tablet. It would have been nice to have come standard with some sort of special interface optimized for TV screens with big icons and settings options. However I'm sure that's something that can be added later with a third party download. To me, stability was key. Having heard horror stories about some of these Android sticks from China and having experienced one of them for myself, it was nice to have a device that didn't want to restart every 5 minutes and randomly disable the Wifi adapter.

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment bordering on a scam, February 6, 2013
I got the standard version through kickstarter as it sounded like a great idea but when I eventually received the product it had taken so long that there were other products with better specs at around the same price if not cheaper.

Also the software on it is so buggy i could barely do the some things I wanted to do with it and other things I just plain couldn't do.

There are constant popups saying the application is not responding(wich you never see in any of the demonstration videos) which leads me to believe the device is underpowered for what its being asked to do, which leads me to why its bordering on a scam it was advertised as having a 1Ghz CPU when in fact the CPU is running at 800Mhz which they say is to keep the temperature down yet mine is still overheating even at a lower speed than it was advertised as running at.

When I informed them I was unhappy with the product and wanted a refund they simply said they are sorry Im unhappy with the product and left it at that.

So I am writing this review to give all fair warning that this is not a product to invest in and there are plenty of other products leaps and bounds better than this for around the same price point.

I hope this review saves others the disappointment it has caused me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst device I have ever owned, March 4, 2013
This thing is less than useless. The wi-fi is so bad that it can't do the one thing its supposed to do, play video. There a re SO many better devices you can get for a few extra bucks. The software they put on this thing is terrible too. I can't even click on an app without getting force closes and errors. Devs promised updates but that was months ago, so I wouldn't expect to see anything that will even come close to fixing the problems this thing has. Its essentially a cheap re-branded Chinese hunk of junk.

I gave it to my dog as a toy but even she doesn't find it useful. Junk! Stay away!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply Made, Poor Performance., October 30, 2012
I would like to save you all for making a horrible mistake in purchasing this product. I'm one of the original backers and it doesn't do nearly half of what they said it was going to.
The remote is cheaply made and I feel like I'm breaking it every time I use it.

The unit cannot use Plex even though they said it was going to be integrated. They do claim they will fix this in an upcoming software update...You know, the one we were supposed to get when we use it for the first time that now after almost a month is still not to be seen. (They did release a beta update but I can't tell a lick of difference)

YouTube works but you can't log in to it so you can't view your subscriptions. I couldn't care less about playing Angry Birds on this thing and that is hardly anything to use as a benchmark as just about any smartphone can play it. (Even the Nook Touch eBook reader can play it!)

Do yourself a favor and check out the comments on their kickstarter page. I'm not sure what the people who gave this thing a 5 star review were using but it likely is not the Equiso. (Either that or they work for Equiso)

Very dissatisfied with this thing and I would return it if I could.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a piece of junk !, September 17, 2013
The Equiso Smart TV is the best advertisement their competition could hope for!

This review is about the retail version of this item available now -- not some earlier trial, or Kickstarter version. It is about what is out there for sale, on the shelves, on the market recently.

I am a "tekkie". I tried one of these out and returned it for my money back as soon as I could. It's full of problems, not the least of which is the ridiculous, uncooperative, keyboard that would test the patience of a "Mother Teresa" -- The pointer wanders all over the place...it's clunky, it's awkward. I haven't got time to iron out all the inherent software and hardware issues I found with it.

Customer support is a joke.

Do a little web research and see what original Kickstarter backers have to say about Equiso. It's interesting reading.

I can't prove it, but it sure looks like the only really good reviews are posted by Equiso employees and persons concerned with the success of their venture. The Equiso company also appears to be trying duplicate account listings to hide from bad reviews.

I have no vested interest here: As an alternative, I recommend the fully rooted Rikomagic MK802IIIS line with a logitech k700 keyboard with a unifying usb receiver. Be sure to buy a 2A USB power adapter of some kind for it. It may cost a little more, but you get a product that will actually access most video services along with pretty much any fully functional internet browser you wish. It is possible that you may have to download and flash it's software, But it will actually do what the Equiso promises to do, but fails to follow through with.

I bought two Rikos and they perform beautifully. Customer service is a bit slow, but they get the job done.

Whatever you do, AVOID the Equiso at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought this off of their original Kickstarter campaign; this is not worth the money, February 16, 2013
Product is great on paper, and some of the features are really good. But there are too many negatives, and the resulting product is a waste of money.

Good:
Remote/Keyboard is a great item. The gyroscopic movement is precise and easy to use. The keyboard is a bit stiff (the buttons are loud), but overall worked well.

Great for quickly setting up a TV to display a web page or Powerpoint slide deck.

Con:
Very poor/spotty wireless connectivity. I have 20 Mbps download on my wireless network using my laptop (that is sitting next to my TV). Equiso will barely break 1 Mbps. The result is you cannot watch high resolution videos that are streaming.

Slow processor. The hardware cannot run Plants vs. Zombies or Jetpack Joyride. The framerate drops off a cliff and no amount of tweaking options/settings will get the games to be playable.

Applications crash. The Android-native apps for Youtube, Hulu, and Pandora crash with too much frequency to be useful. Numerous other applications will display a "application not responding" error, but sometimes they recover without crashing.

Overall: Great concept but poor execution. Wait until the technology catches up so the promise of features can be delivered. Equiso aims high but misses the mark.

2.0 out of 5 stars Below average performance, May 8, 2013
This review is from: Equiso Streaming Smart Stick (Electronics)
I got the Equiso Smart Streaming Stick because I wanted to watch YouTube, Netflix, and other Android functions on my TV. However, this device does not always want to work, and even when it does, it doesn't perform that well.

1. Control issues. Using the remote to interact with the menus usually works, but sometimes there is a "sticky" effect to dragging items on the screen, that the menu continues to interact a full second after letting go of the center button. Gaming may also be difficult, as this remote wasn't really designed for it; it could likely do simple games, like angry birds, but not MineCraft, or many of the other advanced games.

Also, some of the buttons do nothing, which is not convenient when watching videos (no forward/back buttons, have to use on screen controls). Keyboard setup is makes it so that you don't always know whether you're going to get a capital/lowercase letter, symbol, or number. Even worse is that sometimes that the alpha-numeric keys don't work, which makes it even harder to type in passwords.

2. Display issues. Some times the stick does not display anything on the TV, and pressing the power button on the remote does nothing (same with holding the button down). A lot of times, you have to unplug the thing from the TV before you'll get anything. When it does work, it never goes into power saving mode, and never dims the screen.

Another issue was scaling the screen; it starts off displaying an image 40% larger than the screen, so you have to downscale it. While adjusting it for the first time, it skipped on to the next part of the tutorial. Thankfully, I was able to go back by going into settings, and HDMI. No setup up process should ever force you on to the next step, ever.

3. Video playback is not great. Even though the device supports 1080P, it will not play Netflix at any quality higher than 480P. YouTube playback is erratic, and the device honestly acts as though I'm accessing the internet via mobile internet access, rather than broadband. This means that high definition video playback will constantly stop to buffer.

Does the device do anything right? Well, it does play videos, and run Android applications, but this is when the device decides to work. It isn't worth the price, and I'll be returning mine soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Typical Terrible Quality For A New Product, September 19, 2013
I purchased this before I read these reviews and am I sorry I did. After charging the remote for close to two hours, I hooked this up to my internet, got the Google page, tried to access some info on Google as a test, and the thing went blank with just the stupid Equiso logo in the middle of the screen. Wouldn't turn off, wouldn't respond to the reset button which is so small you can barely see it, wouldn't respond to unplugging and replugging in. It's going back tomorrow. Luckily, I bought this at Walmart, so the return will be easy. I am posting this review here so that none of you will get stuck ordering this here, and then have to go through a song-and-dance to send it back. Believe every bad review of this you see here. This is unadulterated junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a dog! (retail version), December 30, 2013
This review is from: Equiso Streaming Smart Stick (Electronics)
I've installed and configured Apple TV, Roku, Smart TVs, Smart BluRay players and Chromecast. The Equios was troublesome to install and difficult to use. In short, not in the same league.

Like the Chromecast (which is a unique, handy little gizmo), you can be assured you will need to use the auxiliary AC power plug. Any TV with a powered HDMI slot probably already has smart, streaming features like Netflix included. TVs older than a few years may have the required HDMI, but it won't be powered, so you WILL need that extra electrical outlet and another ugly wire to set up an Equios. Since the AC adapter will be tied up powering your Equios, expect to find another way to keep the Equios remote charged. Your Kindle adapter and its micro-usb cable should work.

The worst part of the Equios should have been the best - the remote. This thing has skips and double types, so best to have a second person with you during setup. And, yes, I did pair it correctly. You must look at the little keyboard to type a letter, so your helper needs to be looking at the screen to make sure the letter you entered shows up, and only once. You will need a magnifying glass to see the numbers on the keyboard. The remote has features and buttons on both sides, so I found myself continually flipping it over to get to the correct button. Since the device is a candy bar shape, I generally ended up with it pointing the wrong way when flipped to the non-keyboard side - sending commands to my belly button, instead of the TV.

I hated the "bouncing ball" on screen pointer. Both the AppleTV and Roku use left and right arrows to scroll through an on screen keyboard, which is annoying when you're impatient, but a brilliantly easy-to-use feature by comparison to the Equios keyboard and pointer.

If you are Apple centric, get an AppleTV. If you are part of the larger world, get a Roku. I have one of each, plus the Chromecast. The Roku wins hands down, because it streams Amazon movies, of course!

Equiso Streaming Smart Stick