4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT camera! GREAT price!
I want to briefly respond to other reviews I have read on this camera.
I bought one of these.
It actually is a pretty decent little camera!
Especially like above review says....for the price.
I have experienced same things as other reviewers,with this camera,EXCEPT!
The difficulties with camera,were MY fault!
Yes it does seem to be...
Published on April 16, 2008 by C. Henggeler

2.0 out of 5 stars Good product; Highly unreliable.
Here is a camera that records at 320 x 240 at 15 FPS (a specification left out of almost every description of the product). I am fine with that. It's only $80.

The field of view is also very small, so that you can see little more than what is right in front of you. I am fine with that. It's only $80.

What I am not fine with is that 1 in 5 times...
Published on March 21, 2008 by Crawdaddy79

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Good product; Highly unreliable., March 21, 2008
Crawdaddy79 (Alexandria, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital Dash Camera

What I am not fine with is that 1 in 5 times you try to record, it will simply not respond. The only way to get it to respond is to unplug it, and plug it back in. If you are using batteries, you have to remove a battery and replace it (by the way, Energizer lasts about 2 hours total with the thing. I did not try the Lithium flavor of Energizer though).

And if that is not enough, sometimes it acts like it is recording (you know this only by a flickering blue light). You see some real ridiculous stuff on the road and you are all excited to get it off the memory card and post it on the internet (maybe even add some music). Well, turns out it recorded everything in black. At the bottom of the solid black video there is normally a line that looks similar to recorded video, but it being only one pixel in height you really can't make anything out. Why it does this, I don't know... but it has happened to me several times - the worst of which when the roads were icy and it did not record lots of footage of cars going sideways. Expect to see solid black footage in at least one in ten videos you record.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product is cheap crap, March 23, 2009
Bahamude (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital Dash Camera
The product barely worked when I first got it and stopped working within a day. I was careful with it and followed all the instructions exactly. It feels cheap when you handle it. The product is crap and the company that makes it won't warranty or replace it. Total waste of money.

Do not buy this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be Better, November 15, 2008
This review is from: Digital Dash Camera
In general terms, the concept of a dash cam is a very good one. It could save you money and red tape in the event of an accident when the other party misrepresents the facts.

This possibility is what prompted my purchase in the first place after just such an unfortunate experience in our family.

This camera will clearly show traffic light colors as you pass through an intersection.

I will agree with the other comments on this item. The price is right and when it works, it works in an acceptable manner. But I also have experienced times when the blue light on the back flickers and is indicating a recording session, only to return home to find nothing was recorded. In my case, batteries are not at fault since I have never used the unit with batteries. I always plug it into the lighter.

One point not mentioned here, whenever you are headed into the sun as in the early morning eastbound or late afternoon westbound, the camera is worthless. All one sees is a solid white image because the lens can not adjust enough to compensate for the brightness of the sun.

All in all, I believe I got what I paid for. I will probably leave this in the car we drive the least, but get a higher quality item for our high-use car.

1.0 out of 5 stars Barely Functional, July 8, 2009
W. Fitch (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital Dash Camera
For the low price, I wasn't expecting much from this unit. It looks decent, it seems to be fairly durable, and I like the video looping feature (in principal). Unfortunately, it has a lot of shortcomings that render it largely useless for recording traffic:
*The resolution isn't good enough to record license plates, or many road signs.
*The field of view is very narrow, which makes careful aiming/mounting essential.
*If the unit looses power while recording, you will loose the video footage.
*The camera won't begin recording automatically when powered up.
*When the memory card is full, the unit formats the entire card (and doesn't record for a few seconds while it erases all of your footage).
*Like at least one other reviewer's camera, my unit records about every fifth video as a black screen with just a sliver of unrecognizable video at the bottom. Since the camera is permanently mounted, is only used in daylight hours, and is always turned on while pointing at a normally lit scene, I doubt that the problem is the result of anything that I'm doing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not dependable in any environment vibrating or static., April 29, 2010
This review is from: Digital Dash Camera
My title pretty much says it all.
The batteries are oriented in such a manner that any bouncing separates the batteries from the contacts and the thing stops recording, but it does operate but with batteries sitting on static furniture....most of the time. The car power adapter never worked, despite my plugging other devices to the same auto plug like my GPS etc (which of course all worked fine). There have been times when I would set the "Dash Cam" down on a static perch and for some reason it wouldn't record. Couldn't figure out why. Once I started recording, I got no feed back from the blinking indicator light that I had turned off the recording despite my pushing all button combinations and the only way I could turn the thing off/stop recording reliably, once it was started, was to pull the batteries out. I could never determine how long I could record with the 2G byte SD memory I put in the camera, it would not operate with a chip larger than this, and because of the battery limitation I could never determine how long it would record on 2G byte. I never found any of its recorded avi files from the camera that were longer than 326.3M byte and the files sizes ranged from 74.8 to 326.3M bytes, and for some reason the files were always done in segments of various sizes...but they did reflect continous recordings, albeit in segments of various sizes...I think???
Pros:
Cheap. Records, in color... sometimes... most consistently on a static surface like furniture, about 7-8 times out of 10 attempts.
Cons:
Entirely undependable, no operating feed back from the one LED when any of the 3 buttons where pushed if recording was initiated, would only operate on batteries... sometimes, car dash power adapter never worked, 2G byte SD memory limitation. Wasn't really sure it the recordings were continuous or not. Minimal operating manual (wrote in broken english). No sound. Narrow field of view.

In closing don't waste time or money on this item unless you just have to have a toy and don't care if it works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, then good, then bad, then useless, September 13, 2009
This review is from: Digital Dash Camera
I pretty much got what I paid for. In the beginning it worked great though the quality wasn't that great but in case of accidents, it would be a great product. Gradually it began to malfunction. Sometimes I would leave my dash cam on the dashboard under the hot sun and I believe that's what killed it. Generally, I would put it in the glove compartment so people won't break into the car to steal it. I also think this was a bad idea because the heat in the confined space of the glove compartment would also have degraded the unit. I've had it for more than a year and it's worked great for 3/4 of the year. I always plugged it in the lighter. Now I can't get the thing to record (blue light flicker) but for some reason it will turn on but not turn off so I have to unplug it. Now I'm in the market for a better one.

1.0 out of 5 stars dash cam, October 14, 2009
This review is from: Digital Dash Camera
I really liked this product for the first two days. The display needs a fast forward. It might even be there, but I'll never know. On the third day everything went to low battery then off.
It appears that there is only one manufacturer of the dash cam, so that project is no more.

2.0 out of 5 stars obnoxious to use, October 6, 2009
Brian Meyette (NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital Dash Camera
I've been quite unhappy with this unit.

The "manual" that came with it is written in the worst Chinese-mangled English I've ever seen. It's useless. The button functions do not match what's in the manual.

I finally figured out, by trial and error, how to make it record. You press and hold the bottom button for several seconds to get the blue LED to come on, then press and hold the top button for several seconds to get the blue LED to start blinking, indicating it's recording.

It also has problems stopping the recording. Again, strictly by trial and error, I've figured out that to make it stop recording, you press and hold the bottom button. The blue LED stops blinking. But then it often resumes blinking. Even shutting off the power switch does not cause it to stop blinking. I have to remove the power cord to get it to stop blinking.

The vendor has ignored my several voice mails and filling out their "support" forms, asking for help in making this thing work.

Other than the hugely obnoxious and inconvenient method of getting it to start and stop recording, it's not too bad. The videos it produces are small, but OK.

It's useless after dark, but during the day, it's ok. It lacks any time/date stamping, either on the video or on the files that get created.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disapointed, July 26, 2011
This review is from: Digital Dash Camera
I purchased this camera about a year ago and started having problems almost from day one. The buttons on the side did not work according to the instructions and when I would tried to view the video all I got was jumbled up characters. I called support and explained what was happening and was told that they made some changes to the camera and as far as the jumbled up characters I should re-format the sd card. I did this and it seemed to work fine for a while, then it started the same thing again only this time I couldn't format the sd card. Sorry I bought it.

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT BUY THIS, March 21, 2012
ITS THAT SIMPLE, DO NOT BUY THIS
If I were to have recieved this item in a 25˘ machine i would try again for the sick tattoo of a T-Rex riding in a Chevy
I punch a picture of myself every morning in an attempt to repent for this purchase

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›