5.0 out of 5 stars Original and Engaging
The characters within this story will be running through my mind indefinitely. Unleashed is the type of story you think about months and even years later and decide you must read it again.

Published on October 15, 2011 by LAS Reviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars A Slightly Too-Familiar Refrain
Aspiring artist Samantha Logan gave New York City her best shot, but she knew when it was time to pull up stakes and return to her Nonie and her childhood home on the coast of Rhode Island. It isn't just the apparent lack of interest in her art, though, that prodded her to pull up stakes. There are also the dreams...

She dreams of a man who touches her like he...
Published on February 10, 2012 by Tracy

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and Engaging, October 15, 2011

Amoveo's are like shape shifters but much more. With the paranormal romance industry booming, it can be difficult to find a story that distinguishes itself from the thousands of others, but this story has done so. I tried to think of other stories to compare it to, and I could not think of one. This attribute alone would have been enough to keep me interested, but that was not the only thing that kept the pages turning.

Samantha is unique -- the first human amoveo hybrid -- and that can't be easy. There is something to be said about her composure when so much is thrown at her. Her life is turned upside down when she decided to move back home, but then she finds about a secret race and that she is part of it, yet she still never looses who she truly is. That is one tough woman that anyone might feel threatened by. The subtle strength that she demonstrates throughout this story is what really makes her remarkable.

Malcolm is everything you want in a hero of a paranormal romance story. He has brute strength, is drop dead gorgeous, a little arrogant, and has a huge heart. I had to check to see if I was drooling a few times because he was just perfect in all ways that matter.

The conflict was another fascinating aspect of this story. It created mystery and excitement. I keep trying to pinpoint who exactly was targeting Malcom and Samantha, but every time I tried to figure it out, I came up with more questions than answers, which I loved. Up until the very end the author kept me on high alert while trying to figure out who the antagonist could be. With all the buildup I was expecting an extremely climatic ending, and that is exactly what I got.

Unleashed earned its Best Book rating in spades because I can't wait to reread it and am dying for the sequel. The characters haunted my dreams and I thought about this book constantly. I am recommending this story to everyone I know.

originally posted at the Long and Short of It Romance Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Sara Humphreys - Unleashed, October 9, 2011
New to me author and I got the privilege to read the ARC. The beginning starts out slow but this is to be expected for the first book in any series. Sara does a complete and wonderful job of setting up the background of The Amoveo. Then the story gains it's momentum, drawing you in to read more about Malcolm and Samantha.

This book is for anyone who loves animal shape-shifter stories. The history of The Amoveo is important, so do not try to skip or skim those parts. Else you would not get a clear and deep understanding of the characters.

Malcolm - In the beginning I was struck by how different he was from the other Heros I read about. Clueless how to interact with Samantha's human side, I like the fact that he was patient with Sam. The way he approached the matter in the beginning of their relationship, the mindset, that though he was impatient and wanted his mate, HER feelings and opinions mattered.

This endeared me to the hero BIG time. It was found to see such an arrogant man flounder in our social customs.

Sam - Her character I did connect with. She was easy to like. I gave her kudos for how she handled her past relationship before Malcolm. Here we have a heroine that has some self doubts about her appearance. This made her human to me, able to connect.

Will I read more in the Amoveo series? Oh yes! Unleash whetted my interest and I'm anticipating the next book. Really stink at reviews(

3.0 out of 5 stars A Slightly Too-Familiar Refrain, February 10, 2012
This review is from: Unleashed (The Amoveo Legend Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

She dreams of a man who touches her like he knows her, who feels like he belongs to her, and who is telling her it's time to come home.

Malcolm Drew is already suffering from his lack of a mate, a curse of for his kind that first limits their power and abilities, then kills them if they don't bond with the other half of their soul. Finding his Samantha in the dream realm fills him with such anticipation and need that he reels with it. He knows she's coming back to the home in which she was raised, and he is anxious to see her in flesh, to court her, and to have her.

Not that he's entirely certain on how to go about doing the courting part. Samantha is a rare and unique woman. Her mother was human, her father one of Malcom's kind, the Amoveo, shapeshifters with a rich clan-like history and special abilities. His problem, Samanatha has no knowledge of her heritage. She was raised by her grandmother in the human world after the death of her parents when she was just a child. Malcolm has never been with a human woman before, or even one raised as human. He has so much to teach her, so much to tell her, and so little time to woo her. But the stakes have never been higher.

A half-breed is virtually unheard of for his people, but she may be the key to their very survival as their existence teeters on a razor-thin wire. Their numbers are dangerously low and mates are growing increasingly harder to find. Being able to mate with humans of special abilities may save their race from extinction.

He will do whatever it takes to have her, to love her, to cherish her, and to keep her safe from the human hunters who stalk his kind and have killed so very many of his kin. Including Sam's own parents.

~*~

I wanted to love this book. I really did. Paranormal romance is my reading bread and butter, my favorite romance subgenre. Problem is, Unleashed didn't bring anything new to the table, and what it did bring trod such a well-worn road that the ruts are chasms by now. Everything from the Amoveo's history, to their special abilities beyond shape-shifting into their spirit animal, to their need for mates, to the bond between mates being mystical in nature, to their threatened extinction, to their mortal enemies being a human family intent on wiping them from the earth - just about all of it has been done so many times it's rote.

But here's the catch: it wouldn't be rote if it wasn't such a profitable and commercially appealing formula. See, my problem isn't that the elements of the world being introduced here are so common, paranormal romance wouldn't be my favorite subgenre if that was the case. It's that the commonality was ponderously evident because nothing else about the read was otherwise noteworthy to me.

The characters were okay. Malcolm had that urbane otherwordliness going for him. Personally, I think the author missed an opportunity by not making his attempts at romancing a human more adorably inept to add some levity to it all, but how an author chooses to write her books is her decision. For my tastes, though, Malcolm didn't wow me with his appeal, and he was less alpha male than I like my lead heroes to be. He was...fine, I guess. Nothing about him bothered me, but nothing about him really cranked my engines, either.

Sam was more of a problem, but again, that's a very common issue I have with female leads in paranormal romance. She was a bit too much of a victim, had too many moments of stupidity, or at least thoughtlessness, and wasn't too good at looking around and really seeing the world around her. On a far more positive note, her character did evolve into a far more palatable heroine by the end, but it was a rocky journey.

As a romantic pair, I felt they were, again, okay. They had some chemistry, both physically and emotionally, but it was hampered by how late in the book Sam is brought into awareness of her heritage and identity. Between the ex-boyfriend bully and the stalking predator after her and Malcolm, there were plenty of opportunities for increasing tension and heightening emotion that went unrealized or were underutilized simply because Sam didn't know about it.

The book did have some bright spots, things that added appeal to the read. Some of the secondary characters added a nice bit of color to the tale, especially Sam's best friend and her art dealer. There were also a couple of other Amoveos who peaked my interest. One aspect of the book even gave me hope for subsequent novels.

Despite the fairly predictable and lackluster plot throughout most of the book, the ending had a few twists I really appreciated, hinting at the positive potential for the series as a whole. Once Sam embraced her abilities, once nefarious plots were revealed and secrets uncovered, I was able to smile a bit more about the whole of it. The best parts of the book, for me, were the final few chapters. There was still the patina of familiarity, but the other elements came together in such a way that the patina felt more comfortable than confining.

It's always a good thing when a book ends on a high note. Being the last thing a reader remembers, it goes a long way in making up for what precedes it. Unleashed really needed to knock it out of the park to balance out the lack of sophistication in the narrative, which tended towards repetition in places, the pedestrian worldbuilding and plot, and the prosaic main characters. While I can't say I felt it entirely accomplished that particular goal, it did manage to get on base. There was at least enough there for me to be willing to see how the second book in the series plays out.

~*~*~*~
Reviewed for One Good Book Deserves Another.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 6, 2012
This review is from: Unleashed (The Amoveo Legend Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
From reading the many glowing reviews I was expecting a more expertly crafted book with an innovative and interesting plot line. While the book has a lot of pages, I found them tedious to read, completing the book was a trial. Although there might be promise here, too much of it goes unrealized. The book needs a good edit but I'm not sure that would save it. The writing is stilted and too much is explained, leaving little to the imagination. Attempted tension between the main characters, which might have made this book interesting, was overworked and trite. The plot is predictable and seems an awkward cobbling together of other author 's far more successful works. While I don't mind well written fanworks, this one simply annoyed me. Sadly, the reviewes were better written, and in some cases were actually more interesting, than the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amoveo Legend series Awesome, July 2, 2013
I have really enjoyed the Amoveo Legend series. It is hard to put down and stop reading. I have given it to several of my friends to read and they love it too! Great job Sara Humphreys, can't wait till the next one comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks like another great series!, November 4, 2011
BookLover "ldosch@aol.com" (Valley Cottage, New York USA) - See all my reviews
The majority of this book is focused on Malcolm's attempt to explain to Sam her Amoveo heritage and more importantly her status as his mate. There as a strong bond between them that kept growing as the story progresses. Throughout the story there is danger lurking in the background in the form of the Caedo stalker and his mysterious partner that needs to be unmasked.

This was an enjoyable and well written story, and the few pages included at the end for her next book Untouched left me wanting more. I will definitely be putting Untouched on my TBR list so I can pick up a copy when it comes out in April 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Unleashed (The Amoveo Legend Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was a great read. I was pleased with this new take on shape shifters. I Iike that there are different animal clans. Sam and Malcom are a great couple. This book was exciting to read. I loved it. I just bought the second book! I highly recommend this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars new author for me - have to read more of hers!, September 22, 2013
This review is from: Unleashed (The Amoveo Legend Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed the story, characters were very believable and interesting! Enjoyable read and one I will read again! Pleasure to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully crafted!, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Unleashed (The Amoveo Legend Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is about shape shifters but what a lovely and romantic approach this author has. It is about finding true mates and so not an original idea but instead this book is a well-crafted and beautifully presented way to look at this idea.

The world created is quite fascinating. The idea that different species can love each other and that others always exist to resent anything but the purity of the race is relevant sadly these days as much as ever. The concept is interesting. The clan inter-mating is acceptable but mating with humans is not. Samantha and Malcolm find strength together to overcome evil but first there must be acceptance of each other and also what their life together will entail. Call me romantic but the idea of facing dangers when you are blessed with the love they have for each other has me reaching for the next book even as I write this.

Great reading!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Start to a Classic Paranormal Romance Series, May 23, 2013
Samantha Logan is an artist that didn't make it in the big city and has decided to go back home to live with her grandmother. Something is drawing her back there. She finds out that the mansion next door has recently been occupied by the son of the people who owned it before, Malcolm, and he's gorgeous. She feels an attraction to Malcolm that she can't explain and starts having dreams about him. Sara learns secrets about her family's past, how they are linked to Malcolm and the threat that looms over them both and those they love.
This first book is 3 stars when it comes to the heat but Ms. Humphreys was just warming us up. The romance is beautiful and the world of the Amoveo Ms. Humphrey's has created is fresh and original. I'm giving it 5 stars because I've read book #4 in the Amoveo series already and this series just gets better. (Hotter) If you like classic paranormal romance then this series is for you. The Amoveo are shifters. Their original language is the one we know as Latin. Amoveo is Latin for "shift". I suggest that you read these in sequence, though each book can stand alone.

Unleashed (The Amoveo Legend Book 1)
$5.99