Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Unleashing Your Brilliance: Tools & Techniques to Achieve Personal, Professional & Academic Success
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on March 29, 2006
Brian Walsh's book, "Unleashing Your Brilliance", has everything you need to get on the way to achieving more, in less time, with less effort, and have more fun doing while doing it. The author gives you the tools you need to explore everything from NLP (Neurolinguistic Programming) to Photoreading to Hypnosis and much more. This book is a road map to accelerated learning. The top twelve (I tried to limit it to ten, but could not) things I learned from reading this book twice (yes, you read that correctly) are:

1. "I tried" is a cop-out. It is an escape hatch. "Try" is one word you should work on removing from your vocabulary.

2. "I will" tells the subconscious mind to not act on something since it only operates in the "NOW". Remember that when you are making affirmations or writing goal statements.

3. Exercise enhances memory, improves reaction times and aids in the generation of unique and spontaneous ideas.

4. Self-master is a lot like poker, you need to know when to learn new skills, when to hold on to beliefs that serve you and when to let go of beliefs that do not serve you.

5. People with high self-efficacy choose tasks that are more demanding. They set higher goals, put in more effort and persist longer than those who are low in self-efficacy.

6. Emotional Intelligence is a completely learned phenomenon that helps people excel in life and have flourishing relationships and careers.

7. The words "always" or "never" indicate a false statement.

8. Whatever is strongly believed becomes reality.

9. Anything can be learned if it is broken down into smaller units. There are no mistakes, only outcomes and no failures, only lessons.

10. If something can be learned by anyone else in the world, it is possible for you to learn (something my Grandmother always told me).

11. Photoreading is something more people should explore and put effort into learning.

12. The Vivaldi I played when my son was very young may have improved his recall by at least 25 percent.

If you think these twelve things are valuable, you should see the things in this book that I did not include in the list. Overall, "Unleashing Your Brilliance" offers a clearinghouse of information and is enough to get you started and to whet your appetite for more. This book, written in language simple enough for the average person to understand, gives enough information for even those already practicing many of the topics to find it valuable.
on November 6, 2006
"Unleashing Your Brilliance" by Brian Walsh is a well-written, well-researched book about the great potential each of us has within us. It's fascinating the way in which we absorb and process information. Brian's book gives a thorough, simple and comprehensible explanation of how we learn.

I'm drawn to self-help books that explore the human mind. I think the science of human understanding is vastly changing. Brian points out in his book that more progress has been made in understanding the human brain in the past five years than we had in the preceding decades. Imagine what we will know in five more years.

The techniques Brian introduces to stimulate thinking, creativity and learning are helpful. I used several of them before writing this review. I pinched my right nostril to get more oxygen to my creative, right brain. I cross-crawled (left elbow to right knee, right elbow to left knee) to improve my focus and concentration. I tapped my K 27 to increase the blood flow to my brain.

The book is targeted for teachers, parents and students wanting to improve performance. It is also designed for corporate HR personnel wanting to better understand how employees learn in the workplace. I recommend this book for anybody who has an interest in the human mind and its potential.
Dr. Walsh has provided us with a remarkable resource here. Unleashing Your Brilliance combines the lessons from many different disciplines of how to use your mind and body to accomplish more.

You will read about mind mapping, how your brain operates, accelerated learning methods, the many dimensions of intelligence, how emotions and feelings can affect learning, different thinking processes, learning styles, the benefits of mind-body integration, how hypnosis helps, the key principles of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, the photoreading process and learning a second language.

Dr. Walsh has a gift for simplicity. While any of these subjects normally fills many books, he manages to gracefully capture the gist in a few pages. It's a talent I envy.

He also provides you with extensive references so you can dive in to learn more in any of these areas that attracts your interest.

The book has one of the most entertaining chapter review mechanisms I have ever seen. You fill out a crossword puzzle at the end of each one to see if you recall key phrases, terms and ideas. Seeing what you missed naturally causes you to want to reread the chapter for greater mastery.

I was impressed that the material is very up-to-date. If you are going to read this book, do it now. Our knowledge of perception, learning and thinking are advancing so rapidly that this book will inevitably become obsolete in a few years. I hope Dr. Walsh will provide us with an updated edition when that's the case.

If you only read one self-improvement book in 2006, Unleashing Your Brilliance would be a good choice.

Nice work, Dr. Walsh!
on November 11, 2006
I've read a lot of books about superlearning, photoreading, success habits, brain functioning, mind mapping, memorizing. But here's a book that brings it all together in one place, full of way more realistic information than I'd known about before. In 273 pages, Brian Walsh gives a practical overview of state-of-the-art learning tools and techniques.

The book was a pleasure to go through! Not academic and heavy and boring, but a fun, informative read. Filled with great quotes, illustrations, internet links, practical information--heavy-duty reality--the structure itself is an example of facilitated learning.

In a sense, the book is a portal: one opening up a host of resources for the mind. Walsh points the reader to all kinds of ways for producing change. We learn how to break negative patterns and how to experience more productive and satisfying lives. He shows us how to best learn--and teach--a second language. He writes about brainstorming, about effectively influencing others, about real listening. We learn how we learn: what works and what doesn't.

It's a handbook for the human brain. I learned a lot by reading it. And I'm learning a lot by checking out some of the other sources referred to. If "unleashing your brilliance" is one of your goals, here's definitely a book to read.
on March 20, 2006
I am coming from the side of performance enhancement, especially in sports. Having read numerous books on learning and the mind, I found Unleashing Your Brilliance to be a refreshing book that brings many disciplines together under one roof for so many applications other than teaching and education. The real value as I see it is in Mr. Walsh's style and format that is understandable and and even entertaining for the average person. The fact that it contains updated, cutting-edge concepts gathered from many sources has spurred me on to more possibities I wasn't previously aware of. I will be recommending it to my clients as homework.
on May 8, 2013
Unleashing Your Brilliance strips down all the components associated with brain function to the basics, examines each part, then re-builds your understanding of each aspect of brain in an easy to understand way. This book could have been titled Brainipedia because there is just so much information about the brain and it's functions which are explained in exquisite detail. I would highly recommend that anyone involved with education, from K to 12 - and beyond, study Unleashing Your Brilliance. It is also excellent general interest reading for those who thought that they knew everything. Brilliant! Five stars isn't enough!
on January 21, 2006
"Unleashing Your Brilliance" by Brian Walsh, PhD. is a wonderful synopsis of how the mind/body is influenced and how that influence can affect acquiring knowledge. Much of how we understand human nature is explained in elegant terms that those not schooled in psychology or bio-physics can easily understand. I believe that no one can utilize their full abilities without the knowledge of how they are manipulated by the inner workings of their personality as well as the continuing influence of their environment. "Unleashing Your Brilliance" gives you the background to understand this relationship and then offers tools to use this knowledge. Dr. Walsh has created a manual for learning, period.

For the professional: Though I have been a counselor for twenty years, I still found new and exciting information in "Unleashing Your Brilliance". This would also be a great book for someone just beginning in the helping fields. They would find an overall study of the many aspects of body and mind integration so necessary in modern counseling.

For the layperson: Perhaps the book's greatest strength, however, is to make this information attainable to the average person. Anyone with a strong interest in helping themselves or others (e.g., home schoolers) learn easier and retain more usable information will be well rewarded by reading this book.

Whether you are helping yourself or others, read this book if you want a concise handbook on absorbing, retaining and using information.

James E. Morris, MSEd. (author, "Free Air Clinic, Your Personal Guide To Stop Smoking" and "Losing Weight Through Stress Control")
on January 17, 2006
I think the techniques in this book are very powerful and should be incorporated into the classroom as early as kindergarden. This should be a MANDATORY course for all college freshmen or high school seniors. What societal differences would we see if these techniques were included in all schools?

I dare anyone to read it and not come away with a new perspective on learning, achieving, or having success.

This is an important book. I wish I had read it years ago, but at least I can use the information now.
on June 20, 2013
After meeting Brian Walsh at a National Guild of Hypnotists convention a few years ago, I was impressed with what he had to say and I plunged into his book. There are a few books in my library which have the appearance of living a long hard life and are beat up, filled with sticky notes and dog eared pages; "Unleashing Your Brilliance" is one of those books. Brian's book is on my recommended reading list for students here at The "Eastburn Institute of Hypnosis" and it is a book I refer to frequently. A simple example is his reference to the olfactory senses, as I often refer to the power of our sense of smell as a trigger mechanism and Brian delves into this topic nicely. This book is intelligently written and laid out; at the end of each chapter is a quiz and a puzzle which helps to integrate the learning and engage the mind. Brian was kind enough to write a testimonial for my book "What Is Hypnosis" and I quoted him extensively on metaphor in my book "The Power of Suggestion." To gain the most value from Unleashing Your Brilliance I suggest reading it now and then going back to it from time to time.

Drake Eastburn author of "What Is Hypnosis"
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2005
Brian Walsh, in this book "Unleashing Your Brilliance" provides a helpful strategy for implementing change. This book will help you attain success in your individual endeavers, or your professional or academic life.

Brian uses a clear-cut approach to language that was easy for me to understand

The online exercises afford an excellent tool for meaningful reflection and insight into who we are and who we can become. I found the suggested activities challenging, fun, and often with surprising results. Using these exercises on a regular basis can lead to insights into monitering personal growth and attaining higher levels of performance.

I especially appreciated the comprehensive resources. These were helpful as well as the widespread. The appendices, endnotes and index provide additional resources for future reference.

This book is a practical text for leaders in the corporate world, college and university students and for parents concerned with developing the full potential of their children. It is enlightening and helpful.

This is an important and indispensable tool for anyone in the accelerated learning field. I am keeping a copy as a ready reference on my book shelf.