Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Unlikely Friendships for Kids: The Monkey & the Dove: And Four Other Stories of Animal Friendships
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on August 10, 2012
A decent early reader, particularly for young animal lovers. But be warned: one of the baby animals dies, so if your child is particularly sensitive to such things, skip this volume in the series (or at least the last story -- the cover picture of this book may be too adorable to resist!).

This book is a collection of 5 stories of animal friendships, designed to appeal to kids in the 6-10 age range. In terms of reading level, it's comparable to an early chapter book -- a bit harder than Frog and Toad, but only a bit. Each story is quite short (4-10 pages), there's a fair amount of white space on each page, and there are some nice pictures.

I think Book 2 in this series is better than Books 1 or 3. This one feels a little dumbed-down, and several of the stories end with the friends going to different places and never seeing each other again, and as I mentioned at the start, one of the baby animals dies despite the love of a true friend. (The way of life, perhaps, but it feels sad.) The pictures are adorable, but there aren't enough of them (book 2 has many more).

I'm certainly happy for kids who want animal stories to read this book; I just don't think I rises above "fine".

(Note: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher at an American Library Association Annual Conference. I was not required to write a positive review. Thank you, Workman!)
on January 10, 2013
I recommend this book, but for younger readers. My daughter is an advanced enough reader that I should have bought the "adult" or "regular" version of the book. If you have a proficient reader, just buy the original as it includes 47 stories and you only have to buy ONE book to get them. :)
on December 31, 2014
A good book for parents to read together with the child. Because this is a small book (book 1 in the series), it can be finished rather quickly. So for older kids and kids who are avid readers, there isn't much stimulation.
on September 19, 2013
My husband and I bought this book at the gift shop while waiting to go in to hear the Atlanta Symphony. I felt like this would be a fun book as I thumbed quickly through the pages catching brief pictures of animals of different species cuddled up to one another. However, what I found, the next day while sitting on my living room sofa, perusing my new book, was that I had bought a book which was touching something inside me that I didn't know was so raw and untended . . . my love of nature. From the housecat and dog that we love to the wildest of animals like the gorilla and the polar bear, this book will open the mind to the need for preservation if only by looking at the pictures and not even reading a single word. This book will warm your soul, as it opens your mind to the sacredness, and mystery of life itself.

Sincerely,

Barbara Buxton (author of A Season of Innocence)
on December 28, 2012
I was looking for the non kid version as Christmas gifts when I stumbled upon this version. It was nearing my niece's 8th birthday so I went ahead and bought it for her. She and her mother love it. Great photos and great stories contained in this book, for a great price.
on January 15, 2013
This book is just a lovely illustration that animals often form unusual friendships. We should never assume they are not compassionate and feeling. This is a perfect way to tell kids more about animals.
on September 10, 2012
I found this book in a locally owned bookstore, while on vacation and fell in love with it right away. I've seen stories similar to this on Facebook and Youtube and always love to read about the unique connection of non-humans with each other. This is a fun and easy read with wonderful photos that will melt your heart. I want to give a copy to all my animal-loving friends!
on August 8, 2012
I really love these hard-cover books for children and highly recommend getting all three books as a set. Have already given several sets as gifts which have been very well received. So now my own grandchildren are reading the stories to me whereas when the original NY Times bestseller was released I was the one reading very selected passages to them so this a great find.
on January 13, 2014
My granddaughters loved this book. What a sweet and wonderful story. I loved this book. All ages will love this book
on November 23, 2012
My 9 yr old granddaughter read one of these books and was fascinated by the stories. As an animal lover, she requested copies of the rest of the series for Christmas. Very nice books!