Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on May 8, 2011
Hi everyone, This video was created by the young man (my son) who inspired Karen to write this book. Christian Youth Theater, the book Unlocked, and the events around the KKLive event in 2010 have been nothing short of a miracle. The encouraging words, the scriptures verses applied, and the support for Mitch has been nothing short of amazing.

Mitch reviews the book, talks about KKLive with Karen, and invites you to join his growing community on Facebook. Search for Mitch-Unlocked and "Like" his page. He will keep you informed on the daily and weekly events going on for him. He also keeps you informed on issues with Autism.

Please read and distribute Unlocked to as many people as you can. The messages of Autism awareness, Bullying, and applying Christian love is the central theme of this great book.

Also, you can read the real story of Mitch's life in this book written by Carrie Thatcher, Mitch's mom. Take an opportunity to learn the real life story behind the fictional character that Karen created. Good Night Mitch

Thank you from Mitch's Family.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2010
This story clearly shows the pain of losing your child to Autism. I know many moms who carry the burden each day, but I never understood the toll it must take on each of them. I cannot begin to imagine how much it would hurt if my child stopped making eye contact with me or if my child stopped allowing me to touch him. My words cannot begin to describe the pain I feel from just imagining the scenario. This story is beautifully told, as all Karen Kingsbury stories are, but I am most excited about this one because I can allow my 12-year-old daughter to read it as well. I'm longing to share all of the Kingsbury books with her when she's a bit older. This one is perfect for adults, as well as middle and high schoolers. The best pert of any Kingsbury book is how she clearly shows what it is like to live a life of walking with God. For so many who are starting the journey, or just need encouragement, it is helpful to "see" what the journey of others looks like. Readers will laugh and cry, and many lives will be changed.
on October 13, 2010
Karen Kingsbury has done it again. Every time I open one of her books, I cannot put it down. They have been such a blessing to me.
In Unlocked, Holden Harris, a high school student with Autism is greatly helped after finding his childhood friend Ella. She, with the power of faith and music, touches his life and breaks down the walls created by Autism.
The character development is wonderful and readers are given a window into the mind of someone who has Autism in ways they have never been before. The characters are believable and I found myself laughing and crying.
I am a college student and have never really known someone with Autism. This book was truly an eyeopener and opened my heart to things I had never thought about before. Everyone should read this book.
Kudos to Mrs. Kingsbury for her wonderful writing. The Lord has certainly used her to bless many with her writings and I pray he will continue to do so!
on October 13, 2010
This book was absolutely an emotional ride. I always am amazed at the writings of Karen. This book dealt with not only about Autism but also had a gut wrenching truth of teen suicide in our world today. The book really touched me in so many ways. GOD is truely amazing and he works through these books that GOD has gifted Karen to write. A box of tissues is always by my side as I read her books. This one is a must. Love the book and keep writing Karen. BEEBEE
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I hope that other Karen Kingsbury fans don't tar and feather me for this review. I am giving it honestly and with a good heart that takes nothing away from Ms. Kingsbury's own heart, talent, and passions. I have read and enjoyed almost every book I've read by Ms. Kingsbury other than this one.
I was unable to read this book after multiple attempts to do so. It was simply too formulaic, too sweet, too predictable, too simplistic, too everything I don't like. I find that the older I get and the more life I get under my belt, the more I appreciate the depth and width and breadth of things (be they books, food, people, etc.) that have complexity and unexpectedness within them.
I ordered Unlocked because my stepson is on the autistic spectrum and I am always searching for insight into what is going on in his mind and his life.
What I appreciated in the few chapters I could get through was that there was an attempt to show us that God is actively relating to and working in all of us, whether those of us who are "normal" realize it or not. I also appreciated that the coldheartedness and lack of awareness of bullies was brought to the foreground. I am thankful that God appears to have provided the people I have met who are on the autistic spectrum a special gift for either being oblivious to the bulk of the bullying and ostracism they experience, or having some type of filter that lets it roll off of them. If I had experienced a fraction of the ugliness that my stepson has received, I would have joined the roll call of the heartbreaking suicidal children we are hearing about. Fortunately, my stepson keeps his even keel throughout it all and only reacts to the worst of it all.
God bless to all who read this who have children or loved ones with autism, especially those who are on the far end of the spectrum and appear to be "lost" to us. They aren't lost to God.
55 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2010
Karen Kingsbury presents the story of Holden Harris, an autistic teen struggling to connect with the outside world, and Ella Reynolds, a typical peer willing to look beyond his quirks to get to know the person inside. Ms. Kingsbury does an excellent job tackling prevalent societal issues such as, the acceptance of those with special needs, bullying, and teen suicide. As a school social worker I was excited to read a story that communicates the message that it is urgent we teach our children to always show love rather than judgment, and to reach out with kindness to those who seem different. As a Christian, I was inspired, as I often am by Ms. Kingsbury's work, by the wonderful way that the story of Holden Harris reminds readers that with faith nothing is impossible, and God is always bigger than the struggles we face.
on January 6, 2014
This book was painful to read. Not only was the dialogue and plot less than mediocre, but the transformation of the autistic main character is borderline offensive to any parents with autistic children. She even went as far to hint that vaccines were the cause of his autism. Characters were pretty one dimensional.

Most often I enjoy Kingsbury's writing, but she missed the mark with this one.
on October 16, 2010
The storyline is contrived, predictable and the writing style average. Having worked with autistic children I have to point out that this book is not an accurate portrayal of changes seen with autistic people. Saying, as the author does at the end of her book, that "autism is called a spectrum disorder because no two cases are exactly the same" is accurate, but it can not explain the liberty she has taken in presenting an impossible transformation in her character. This is a piece of fiction and I hope my review reminds people that the author has imagined what is going on in the mind of an autistic teen and that such a transformation highly unlikely, although it may be desired. I was shocked to see extraordinary number of five star reviews, especially since that is almost unheard of on amazon even with award winning books. After investigating the authors website, facebook and blog I became aware of a giveaway contest involving amazon reviews. That explains a good deal. It's unfortunate when Christians attempt to obscure the truth for earthly gain. Christian teens between 14-18 would find this book interesting.
on October 7, 2011
This is such a powerful and emotional read! It had me crying (both happy and sad for characters) at several points. Ms. Kingsbury really nailed using multiple perspectives, giving us a full story and picture of autism, God's power, healing and the power of music.
This is christian fiction at its best... I was so wrapped up in the character's lives and voices, pulling for a miracle, and soaking up the message that God can change, He can be there for those who love him, ask of him and trust him to work.
Bullying and suicide are also addressed, but she handles it well, and it didn't feel like she was stretching to include it in the story, it really matched up well, and evoked emotion from me.
I'm glad that I picked this up! I don't know why I've waited so long to read it.
on April 14, 2012
I bought this book because I wanted to know a little more about autism. It is sort of unbelievable that the main character was "cured" when he met an old friend from his childhood. I know there are different levels of autism, but still . . .