5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good So Far
I bought mine from the Daily Cellular. Ordered it at 748pm on Friday and it got here a little under 12 hours later. I loved that part.
** I do not know if it is a brand new device**
Published 20 months ago by JD

Published 20 months ago by Cadnr

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good So Far, February 5, 2013
This review is from: GSM Unlocked Samsung i847 Rugby Smart 4G 5MP Android 2.3.5 Military Standard MIL-STD 81F Touchscreen (Wireless Phone Accessory)
** I do not know if it is a brand new device**
1) Did not come in a Samsung Rugby AT&T branded box. It came in a generic AT&T box. The type a refurbished or replacement phone would come in. Generic labels like: Camera, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth etc. Nothing actually about the true specs of the phone. No user guide came with it either. A quick start up guide but no actual manuel. Not an issue for me but some my find it troublesome. it came with the AT&T "Texting can wait" sticker on the screen but that means nothing
2) I received it with a small scratch on the bottom left hand corner on the front facing side of the device. & it looks like a small piece of plastic on the back battery door lock screw came off, it does not affect the cover from staying on or the water proof seal.

I understand since this is a unlocked GSM phone they would have to take it out and type in an unlock code to... unlock it but not sure why it didn't come in original boxing.

& I don't know if it is actually unlocked. I emailed them and said it is. Straight Talk works on locked AT&T phones so if someone was to stick a T-Mobile card in there, I would not know the outcome.

How I feel about the phone its self after having it for a few days? I LOVE IT!
I have owned a Samsung Fascinate, Palm Pixi, HP Veer, iPhone 4, & Samsung Galaxy 3 and this is my favorite of them all yet.

**The fact that it is a rugged device makes me feel better about it. I don't plan on dropping it or leaving it in extreme temperatures but the fact that it can withstand that helps. I have had successes with Samsung devices, I still use my Samsung Fascinate 2.5 years later after its been dropped a few times and its still functional. If this device can withstand my kinda use plus has rugged abilities, I'm expecting a good solid 3 years out of this device.**

I was with Verizon for a while but now I switched to Straight Talk ( I activated this device on it). All me previous devices were on Verizon and the only thing I miss is the coverage.

*Pros*
-Feels great in my hands not bulky at all not heavy
-Built well, nice soft rubbery feeling on the sides. (does have plastic on the back)
-I actually like the physical buttons more instead of the touch buttons
-Comes with a built in flashlight shortcut (hold up volume key when phone screen is locked)
-Does't feel cheap. I know they say this is a mid range android device but with a 1400mhz processor its just as fast as the top of the line phones
-*It's Really Water Proof* That was a big turn on to me and I had to test it out. While I was in the shower I splashed it, dunked it in maybe 5 inches of water, still good. I also browed Youtube videos, Play Store, Netflix and used Skype. It has a microphone on the back so people can actually hear me and not the sound of all the water. I don't know how rugged it is or how it can withstand extreme temperatures. I'm not going to purposely drop it but if I do, I feel comfortable knowing its supposed to be able to hold up.
-Front and rear cameras both are great for Skype and photos respectively

*Cons*
-Runs Android Gingerbread: This IS NOT a big problem for me, I do not care about the style changed between android 2.0 and 4.0 but I do really miss Google Now.
- Touch screen does not work well while in water. I understand why it doesn't (all the warm water on the screen confusing it) but texting did prove difficult while in the shower.

Other than that, there is nothing I dislike. As I said, this is my favorite device I've ever had and hope it will be around for a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid smart phone, a little underpowered by today's standards, February 28, 2013
Nice phone and good value for money. There are so many flimsy phones out there at the moment, it's nice to hold one in your hand that feels sturdy and isn't going to smash to pieces if you drop it. I find it's the perfect size for a smartphone - not too big, but still big enough to have a decent screen, and surprisingly good-looking for a rugged phone. The screen brightness is good and everything looks pretty much crystal clear. The responsiveness of the interface and touch-screen are good overall and I didn't have any problems typing on the keyboard when held horizontal.

Downsides are that it only has a single-core processor and there's relatively little RAM (512 MB), so it starts to lag a little as soon as you have a few apps open. Any complex webpages have to be loaded on-the-fly, so be prepared for some checkerboarding as you scroll around in the default browser, but it's nothing you won't be able to live with. Also, it's pretty annoying prying open the flap that covers the USB port every time you need to recharge.

Unfortunately, I'm marking the product down two notches because the phone I received was clearly not new. It came in an open AT&T box, and although the screen was clean and new-looking, there was a significant amount of dust inside the back cover and there were chips and scratches on and around the flaps that cover the earphone jack and USB port. This is the third time I've received a 'new' phone I bought over the internet that turned out to be not exactly new, so apparently there's some unscrupulous antics going on somewhere! Then again, you can't even buy these phones new and unlocked (as far as I can tell) - someone had to open it up and use it in order to unlock it, so the very phrase 'new' starts to become suspect. In the end, you just have to trust the seller to give you something that's at least a close enough approximation to new that you won't notice the difference...

5.0 out of 5 stars Confirmed military tough - at least mine is, September 14, 2013
I have one of the latest, greatest all singing and dancing Samsung cells. But... I'm in the infantry and wanted to take my phone out in the field as I thought some of the Android apps could be pretty helpful. However, I didn't want to take an expensive cellphone out in the boonies and kill it off within a matter of hours or days. I saw this phone priced here at $149 and figured I wouldn't cry too much if I destroyed the phone. Was a little concerned about the "this phone ain't unlocked" reviews, but figured I'd just return it if that was the case.

After arrival, slipped in the SIM card. Instant success, no messing around for provider access/calls. Sinc'd it up with my existing cellphone - sidenote: the full Kies version worked with the phone until I upgraded the firmware to the latest version through Kies, then Kies apparently decided it was a Blackberry or Iphone or something like that and wouldn't work anymore. However, I found that Kies Air still worked after the firmware upgrade, so it was all good and sinc'ing and administering the phone is still good to go.

Then decided there was no time like the present to test the toughness on the phone, while the packaging was still on the table. Filled the kitchen sink with water and threw the phone in there for about 20 minutes while I went outside and mowed the lawn. Made a call to the phone when I got back in - somewhat amusing to see the screen come alive and hear it ringing at the bottom of the sink. Waterproof? Check. Held it at shoulder level and dropped it on the floor a couple of times. Disclaimer: I dropped it to land on an edge or the back, not where the screen would land on an object. Phone still worked. Rugged? Check.

Off it went to work with me. It sat in my webbing out in the field, got banged by rifle magazines, my rifle, assorted thumps from being dropped on the ground, thrown in the carrier, etc. Got wet in a couple of rainstorms. Sand and mud and dirt a lot. Covered in food after a foil package of food next to it in my pack ruptured. And it still worked when I hauled it out to do something with it. I'm not going to worry about whether it has buttercup status or not anymore...

I did equip it with a Zagg screen saver however - those things are tough and trustworthy, I have been using them on GPS units for about five years now and they are incredible glass protectors.

So my phone is unlocked, it does work as advertised as soon as I slipped my SIM card in there, and it is rugged.

How does it perform? I am not a Jedi Master power smartphone user needing maximum computing power and Niagara Falls levels of data volume input/output. I rarely enable the data functionality because 4G data plans here are stupid expensive and usually out of range anyways. But it does connect when enabled and do what it is supposed to do for my purposes. I use a lot of Wi-Fi instead as Wi-Fi is much more available and Skype phone/video calls are much cheaper for me. Seems to have reception/transmission as good as my superphone, so I'm happy with that. Whether using the actual cellphone or Skype to make calls, sound quality in/out is good.

Computing power. I don't run around with a bunch of apps running, watching Netflix, whatever. I don't have a game on it, and the most complex software I have running typically is DualSportMaps for it's offline mapping/tracking features. Skype and Firefox often will be sitting there in the background at the same time. None of these have been sufficient to give me any grief with the fact this doesn't have the latest and greatest computing power and Android operating system. For a user like me, this version of the OS and the computing power is more than ample.

I don't use the camera very often, as I much prefer a real camera to get the image quality I want, but have messed with it a bit out of curiosity. It takes surprisingly good pictures, including fairly closeup pictures of coins, fishing flies, etc with pretty good detail. My guess is most people would find the spur of the moment pics it would take on the beach, at the restaurant, the family pet, etc more than acceptable.

Summary: for me, the phone I received was exactly as advertised, is as tough as advertised, and does everything I want it to do. If I do destroy it eventually, I'll figure I got my money's worth by then. In fact, I'm thinking of buying another and putting it away as a backup. If you're a heavy data plan user, or need a lot of computing power, then maybe this phone will disappoint you. For that, perhaps the successor Rugby Pro at about $250 more is more suitable with a dual core processor, more internal memory, etc. Camera specs, video, screen specs, etc, everything else between the two is pretty much the same.

But for a user like me, a phone this tough that can slip in a shirt pocket and do everything I ask of it is just about perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected, June 2, 2013
jomammah (United States) - See all my reviews
I needed a ruggedized smart phone. There were 2 choices, this and Motorola; and I really dislike Motorola's software.

After 3 months, workng outside every day, the phone has been flawless. I realize it's not the latest software version, and I don't mind. I'm not a bleeding edge kind of guy. It phones when I need it to, it texts when I need it to, and it webs when I need it to.

It started out needing a charge every day. As I got more familiar with it, I got that down to a charge every 3-5 days.

My only complaint is a minor one... it does buzz or rattle a little bit when on speaker. Then again, an outside environment often is noisy, so I have to keep the volume up.

04 June 2013 EDIT-----

In case it helps anyone, I'm using the phone thru one of the smaller providers (which I'm very happy with. I just don't know if I'm allowed to identify them, here.) on ATT's network. The provider got me up and running with no trouble, and all has been fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone, August 12, 2013
Dolf Daam (Victoria, Canada) - See all my reviews
First the qualifier. I am not a computer geek so I don't need the absolute latest computer gimmicks. I want a cell phone that works easily, is GSM so I can use it in my travels around the world, has easy compatibility with my essential Skype and GoogleVoice, accesses the internet, and lets me check the occasional email, and has an adequate screen and letters so I don't have to pull out my reading glasses to use it, and of course has WiFi- which many waterproof phones don't have.

The only negative for me is all the downloaded and non-removable ATT rubbish that I don't like with my T-Mobile use. But that is just an irritation.

Sorry to be sexist but I love this man's phone. I can use it on the windsurfing beach with blowing sand and salt spray without worry. I went on the belt and suspenders principle and put a cheap case on the already sturdy exterior so it easily takes the bumps and bruises of travelling and use in less than ideal conditions. And it is fun to dunk it in the water glass when I am at a restaurant with people not familiar with this phone.

i love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT Rugged at all!! Not covered by warranty!!!, June 9, 2013
The glass broke from a slow motion fall in my office from a 2.5 feet drop. And I said drop. It didn't have any additional speed added on the fall. It didn't even bounce from the fall. When I picked it up, the glass was all cracked. I think it is fair to assume it is not dust and waterproof anymore either, as there are crack lines with space in between(yes, some fine glass pieces got loose).
For the price I paid for this phone I could have purchased a better one with a rugged case and would have been much better off.
The worst part is that when I went to Samsung's website to claim on the warranty, it says that warranty doesn't cover for physical damage (ie. a cracked screen).
Now why would they say that it stands 6.6 feet drops, when it doesn't and then just don't repair it under warranty.
Samsung is just lying to you, and they don't stand by their products or neither care for their customers.
Bad policy Samsung.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading advertising, August 22, 2013
This phone is locked, NOT unlocked as represented in the advertisement. So far, Amazon has told me to contact Samsung. Samsung will not help, have to contact AT&T. Will wait to see if they will help. This is NOT what, in good faith, I paid for and so far the post transaction service has been unhelpful. Could Amazon please just supply the unlock code and make it simple?

1.0 out of 5 stars PHONE WAS LOCKED..., August 20, 2013
i am pissed...got the phone and it did not work with my sim card.i want a refund...phone is cool but whats the purpose if i cant use my sim. the sim works well on other phones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, February 28, 2013
This phone is great. It does everything it claims and is also very nice as far as smartphones go..if u need a smartphone that wont break easily this is it

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone, July 13, 2013
I had my doubts buying this phone. The phone arrived in an AT&T box, but had no significant information about the device inside. I opened it and found everything as pictured, 1 phone, 1 battery, 1 wall charger, 1 micro USB cable. I popped in the battery and sim card and I was ready to go. The phone works perfectly, despite being replaced by the Rugby Pro and now Galaxy s4 Active its still a phone that can hold its own. I'd recommend this to anyone that is just now getting into Android. I bought this phone for my 55 year old Father in-law. He has already mastered the talk to text feature on the phone.
Based on this price point, its definitely the way to go.