4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone and Customer Service
Published on November 11, 2006 by M. Heffner

1.0 out of 5 stars This phone, and the company that supports it, STINKS!
Do yourself a favor and heed this warning... and I own this phone, so take it from me...

If you are interested in a Windows Mobile smartphone, look somewhere else. Avoid this phone, and all i-Mate phones, at all costs because if it ever causes you a problem where you'll need support from an actual person, you'll never find it.

Try to send them an...
Published on January 30, 2006 by William L. Kaminski

1.0 out of 5 stars This phone, and the company that supports it, STINKS!, January 30, 2006
This review is from: i-mate SP3i Unlocked Smartphone with MP3/Video Player, MiniSD Slot--U.S. Version with Warranty (Silver) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

Try to send them an email? You'll get a reply in about four or five days. I have tried to get support dozens of times, and each time they reply, they just send me my user name and password for their web site. And then they claim victory and close my ticket.

I've had my phone for 12 months. I still cannot register the phone on their web site for some reason. When I ask them to fix this problem, they send me (you guessed it) my username and password.

Oh, one more thing... the joystick on this phone is terrible. Doesn't work most of the time. Falls out of the phone, sticks to one side, breaks off,... name it.

It's all frustration here folks.

Trust me... phones break for all sorts of reasons. For the money you would spend on this, you can do MUCH MUCH better.

If you read this review and buy the phone anyway, you'll remember this and kick yourself later.

As soon as I find another phone, this one goes in the trash. I'm shopping now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone and Customer Service, November 11, 2006
I must start off by saying I would have given the SP3i a 5, but mine was bought new and everything worked except the basic phone functions, so I had to contact I-Mate for repair. They emailed me an RMA the next day. Their Service Center (Topps Solution) treated me great. They had to replace a board. They received the phone on a Tuesday and I got it back on Friday. The communication was excellent all around. I like the games like Links and Tennis, and the camera is fun, though only VGA. It isn't a Motorola KRZR K1, but then it doesn't cost anywhere near it, either.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I expected and more, January 13, 2006
I give this little device a 5 because it's one of a handful of technical gadgets that's got so many features in such a compact design.

First of all, it's a phone with a lot of PDA type features including email (Outlook, Mobile Windows, etc.), calendar and such. It's probably not the best device to be conducting business from - you're probably in search of a PDA that's also a phone. This is just the opposite, it's a phone and PDA second.

The mobile Windows allows you to view video and listen to mp3. It does support memory expansion, which is perfect for a sub $400 phone! The only hickup is that accessing the memory requires you to remove the battery! Annoying.

Another annoying thing is the headphone jack is proprietary! That's really annoying...but I've got an iPod and don't plan on listening to much music on my phone.

Other than these 2 minor problems, this is an awesome phone/PDA. It's very slim - not as slim as a RAZR, but fits nicely into any pocket. It's got an amazing screen - it takes up almost half the phone. Vivid colors and easy to navigate menu functions.

the dialing buttons are nicely raised - I've got big fingers...so this is good. Ther is a joystick that takes a little getting used-to...but its nice.

overall, I really like being able to synchronize with my office outlook. Now I can keep track of my meetings and keep a list of contacts in my phone. I know it's a feature of many phones, but I do most of my business in Outlook. It's nice to be able to easily sync the two. The layout is nice too!

It's got BlueTooth and USB connectivity (infrared for you old-timers as well).

It's got a vga camera - again not the best, but if you need to take a quick shot of something, it's really easy to use. 640x489 resolution. If you want to upgrade, there's a bigger better model which has a 1 megapixel camera and built in WiFi. It's expensive - known as the imate sp5m.

Watch out for support - it's not very good. The only nice thing is that there's a pretty large community of users out there that can help you out with problems. Reading reviews from a lot of other web sites, it turns out that the joy stick is a bit sensitive - so don't use it too much. Be gentle, this is not a toy.

You can find community based support on the internet, just google sp3i and you should find a number of great places to help you out.

By the way, documentation can be downloaded from O2 Asia: just google O2 Asia and it'll take you there. It's in English in PDF format.

Enjoy

2.0 out of 5 stars good features; bad engineering, September 13, 2006
i own this phone and I guess i am not entirely satisfied with it...i bought it under $150, and probably its good for that price....i guess the problems are too many to list here....do yrself a favor 1) google "problems SP3i" and 2)don't buy it for more than $100 at any rate. This phone will work, but will break off in 3 months.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Last 1 Week, October 22, 2006
Decent phone for the 6 days it worked even though I could never get it to access the Internet. Went to use it today and it died on the charger. Tech Support? Good luck. No wonder they are selling them for $350 off the imaginary list price.

2.0 out of 5 stars good phone - no tech support, October 17, 2005
there is no tech support in this country and there is not a person to "speak" with regarding problems. I cannot access AOL mail, and they have no solution, and will not let me return the phone.