Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on July 2, 2016
I truly enjoyed this book, mostly due to the interaction between him and his wife. It seems a long metaphor for addiction, or a lesson on tragic disposition despite a grueling determination to keep yourself and your loved ones in harmonic balance. A great and very tragic story.
on June 21, 2016
I wanted to like this book but I just can't. Every chapter brings more and more annoyance. Crappy premise. Convoluted telling of the story. Everything about this book makes me angry.
on April 7, 2016
It is with heavy heart that I write this less than effusive review, as I think Joshua Ferris's first book (Then We Came to the End) was funny & insightful, and his 3d book (To Rise Again at a Decent Hour) was BRILLIANT, so I definitely do NOT want to scare anyone off from this gifted and promising young writer, but this specific book (The Unnamed) is IMHO his least accomplished work. I understand he tried to use the lead character's weird walking compulsion to frame the timeless mind vs body problem (and examine dualism in general) but the vehicle of this particular malady falls flat. Not only is it incomprehensible & not credible, but EVEN IF we suspect disbelief & just accept the major premise, the characters' subsequent actions/choices just don't make sense to me. If the lead genuinely doesn't know/suspect the triggers for his walking compulsion, then why start with the promising self-interrogation of whether he has again started taking his life for granted? If there IS a connection between his life choices/attitude, then that should be explored, but the narrative denies the validity of that approach. Also, this particular book lacks the interesting observations & insights that pepper nearly every page of Ferris's other works. Thus, I highly recommend Ferris, but not this specific book.
on February 6, 2016
I read this book after reading my first book by this author Then We Came to the End which is a totally different storyline, I enjoyed this book just as much as that one. I am happy to see that he continued to write and will definitely read all of his books. My daughter and I choice of genres and authors are very different however, she agreed that The Unnamed was a great book.
on August 15, 2015
'The Unnamed' is one of those books that starts off well, remains compelling for the first half, but fizzles badly in the second half. It was almost as if the author really didn't know where to go with the plot and, well, just dumped it. This is a shame because the author writes rather well. As for the story, it concerns itself with a successful New York lawyer who suffers from some sort of malady where his mind seemingly detaches from his body. This affects his career and his family very badly. Medical professionals are unable to diagnose the problem. And so the book concerns itself with how such a malady can devastate all those around the suffer. No, not exactly a happy topic but I found it intriguing ... at least for awhile.

Bottom line: the book worked well until the author just crashed and burned halfway through. Not recommended.
on June 6, 2015
This book is sure to be in my top ten, as well as yours. Like his others, this book is not like anything else you will read.
on May 11, 2015
This was one of the most unusual stories I've ever read. It's melancholy, well-written, and I found it very compelling. If you enjoy reading and are looking for something different, I highly recommend "The Unnamed."
on March 24, 2015
I am sorry, however, I am not attracted to books such as this. I cannot evaluate it - I don't think I would even like or enjoy the author who wrote it.
I do not think I have ever put that down about any book before, though I have occasionally had the thought and feeling. It won't even be salvaged by reading his other books (which I bought at the same time I purchased this one, to my regret), as they are in the same style of prose - written by a superior feeling human being. I do not want to go on, as the writer did not set out to offend me, he just wrote a book which affected me in that manner. So I will say no more - just that I hope you enjoy the book and he communicates with you better than he did with me. Have a good day.
on March 1, 2015
I wish the "star" system was a little more precise. Stars for the writing skill. Stars for plot, characters, stars for overall quality, stars if it's a "feel good" book or an "unsettling" book…I wish they had stars for all of that. Because in terms of writing skill and ability, it's a five-star book. In terms of story, it's a three-star. In terms of "feel good" it warrants three-stars from me, subjectively. When I say "feel good" I don't mean 'happy ending,' either. I mean it in terms of ending satisfaction. I also mean it in terms of how eager I was to resume reading after I had put the book down. I don't like dreading the return to a book because it's just so bleak it makes me feel…well, bummed out.

So yeah. That's me. Books can be dark or without happy endings, but still leave you feeling uplifted and satisfied at the end. I didn't feel sad after the end of this book, however, since Ferris pulls some redeeming threads through it. Mostly I felt relieved when I finished—for myself and the poor, tortured characters within it. And reading it—because I tend to seriously empathize with characters—was sort of torturous.

Tim Farnsworth is a successful attorney in New York who has an illness that is unnamed, unidentified in any medical documentation anywhere. His illness? He must walk. An urge takes over his body and he must walk. Whatever he's doing, wherever he is, he has to walk.

Throughout the book there is a pervasive theme about whether or not his condition is medical or psychological. This, to me, is extremely uninformed. Psychological/mental conditions are medical. Period. They just present behaviorally rather than in the mechanics of the body. Tim could no more stop walking than a person can eradicate cancer cells from their body.

So the fact that this "question" was a main theme really bothered me. His condition was medical, and had Ferris accepted this, or at the very least had an informed medical professional in the book actually inform Tim of this, it would have changed the book into something that goes deeper than that non-question, and turned it into an exploration of how people deal with a chronic illness that has absolutely no known origin, treatment options or precedent, and how it impacts their lives. Now THAT would have been believable and interesting, rather than this silly miscomprehension of basically a NON-conflict: "Is it physical or mental?"

This question of physical versus mental powers all of Tim's actions, and had he just known/accepted that it was a medical condition, it would have still offered plenty of conflict and tension for the story.

His long-suffering wife, Jane had some very interesting conflicts of her own going on. I wish Ferris had explored those more. The conflict of a caregiver to a chronically ill person. Let's just say we've established he has a physical, medical condition. Take out the ambiguity of whether or not he's in control—he's not. Now we look at Jane's ambivalence, her struggle to know and conceive her place in their relationship and in the world in general as a wife-cum-caregiver/woman and parent. Now THAT would have been a fantastic thing to have explored further. But it gets a brief light shined on it, then dropped.

Ferris did well in portraying the daughter, a neglected child, as all children are with a chronically ill parent to a degree, and how she was forced into the care-giver role which had an interesting and positive impact on her.

I hate to say it, but this could have been a fantastic love story. Ferris actually dips his toes into that place, but only briefly, and it was the most poignant and harrowing parts of the book for me—completely redeemed so much of it for me. And he could have stayed with that, run with that and left the ending exactly how it was, but with a satisfaction that goes way beyond what the current book gave me. And I'm not sappy for love stories, folks. But this could have been a stellar one.

I missed Ferris's acerbic wit in this book, where his other books were riddled with it. But I'm not sorry I read this book. I just would have done it (as in written it) differently. I think he took the easy way out by making the "label" of the condition more important than the essence and impact of the condition on the characters. A missed opportunity, from where I sit. But I am still eagerly awaiting the next Josh Ferris novel because his writing is tight, superb and skilled. Unnamed is a very humane, compassionate book, but left me wanting more than just an ability to "name" it.
on February 21, 2015
I bought this book, because the Atlanta Journal Constitution wrote a very favorable review for it. They sure steered me wrong. I didn't like anything about the book. I kept reading it, thinking it would get better, but it didn't. I didn't see anything particularly good about the writing style. Nothing about the book made me want to keep reading.