Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon April 20, 2012
Stone and Dino are back, sort of. The same women are back to service them. The Knob Creek, Johnny Walker black, martinis and champagne flow. Millions of dollars are bandied about. Fancy cars abound. The only thing that has changed is that poor Elaine has died and her eponymous restaurant has closed. What are Stone and Dino to do? Where will they hang?

Interestingly the once dynamic duo seem to yield center stage to the once hapless Herbie Fisher. No longer Herbie, but now Herb or Herbert to fit his new station in life, he is now a senior associate at Woodman & Weld, a star attorney after a mere two years out of law school As always everything in a Woods novel happens at the drop of a hat without work. Herbie even has his own secretary and associate, as well as making a lot of 'rain' for W & W.

The novel contains the same witless dialogue as the last half dozen novels, the same easy sex and the same non-existent plot. Woods (or his ghost writers) seem to have given up plots years ago. That's why I call him the laziest writer alive. He can't even be bothered with thinking up a good plot as he did years and years ago. The novel is slapped together without thought, sent off to the publisher and promoted to poor saps like us. This will be the last time I read a Stone Barrington novel. Stone is hardly even in the book. Maybe Woods should consider a new line of books - the Herbert Fisher novels.
1212 comments169 of 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2012
I've read all of Stuart Woods books and this is the biggest disappointment! Where is the story line? Half way through and still waiting for something to happen. Don't waste your money on this!
11 comment96 of 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2012
Sorry Stuart but this is my last book from you......what happen your books used to be so good now they are just trash.....no story line.....no good mystery...no anything...and the cost is just too much for this.....it should have been sold for $.99
44 comments107 of 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2012
I deserve my money back. Seriously. This is ridiculous. Nothing but ramblings. There is no story at all.

I usually always finish a book I decide to read. I haven't quit a book in years. This is that kind of book. At halfway (which was being overly hopeful) I could no longer stand it. This is true garbage.

I have read EVERY of this authors books up to this point. No kidding. His last one was pretty bad but I thought I'd give him one more chance. This serves the worst-book-of-the-year award for sure. Never again will I buy a book from this author.

I can't get my wasted time back but I, and anyone that bought this drivel, deserve a refund.
0Comment31 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2012
I have hated the last several Stuart Woods'books. I can't call them novels--because "novel" implies new thoughts, new stories, new ways of looking at old characters. There is nothing new in any of the last several books. Take heed readers, many reviews here says his work is not enjoyable. This was the final one for me. I have been pushed over the edge--i will never purchase or read another load of his trash. Who can possibly like, let alone empathize with any of the characters??--my husband always says a book can still be good even if the plot is thin, if its been a good visit with the characters--i have decided to shut the door on this group of characters--forever.
on April 21, 2012
I've been a Stuart Woods (Stone Barrington) fan since day one.
Ihave always looked forward to his new books. This one is so bad I will never read another. The person who said this book is worth 99 cents is off by 98 cents. Herbie as the new star...give me a break. And where's the plot?? Don't bother with this one.
0Comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2012
Put this on the bottom. A truly bad read. Stuart Woods should have left this one on the computer. This one is far below his ability. Next time I look at a new offering from Mr. Woods, I will read the reviews before I buy.
on April 22, 2012
I bet if I burn the book, it'll go up in flames in 4.2 seconds! Not only because of its limited pages but also body of work! I've noticed, maybe in the last 2-3 years that Woods' books were becoming short stories, small segments and story lines wetting your appetite for the next Barrington novel! But what the heck? This was like a Monday Soap Opera but in written form. Terrible plots, no mystery, no excitement, Stone's in the sack again..Elaine died? HOW?, Herbie Fisher the main focus? Gimme a break...I'm done with Stone Barrington and Stuart Woods...
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2012
Why oh why do I continue torturing myself reading Stuart Woods? I suppose I keep expecting a pleasant return to his earlier talented writing. I agree that he must be the laziest author alive. It's a toss up as to which was worse, this book or Son of Stone. They both stink. How are we the readers supposed to believe Herbie has changed so much? It's ludicrous. Stuart woods has spent years creating this hapless character who is gambling addicted, dumb, sloppy and lazy. Now he's transformed into a sharp, smart, well dressed, well mannered, and successful articulate attorney? give me a break, and my money back while you're at it. This author has become a pathetic joke. Anyone giving this book high marks needs a sanity check, or more likely is on Woods' payroll, as he (wisely) fears without paying off people to thumbs up his books he will have 100% negative reviews, instead of just mostly negative (which he always has.)
on April 24, 2012
This was supposed to be a Stone Barrington book right? Because Stone was hardly in this, and while I always like seeing more of Dino, this was a Herbie... excuse me, Herb Fisher novel. And not the funny, petulant, major screw-up Herbie but the boring Stone clone who has inexplicably become a W&W superstar. I know people can change, yada yada yada, but it appears that not a single person (including Woods) remembers ANYTHING he's done in the past. It's bizarro Herbie, and the rest of the characters are drinking the kool-aid.

No plot, no Elaine's (how everyone figured out PJ Clarke's is their new hangout is puzzling), no mystery. At least DC Dead had some suspense. Even Stone's latest hookup was boring.