1,237 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruno Mars, Smooth and delicious!
Simply put, Bruno Mars' Unorthodox Jukebox is an excellent album. Bruno stays true to his pop/soul style while showing that his voice is capable of numerous styles.

Published on December 11, 2012 by Z. Mehrbach

3.0 out of 5 stars Bruno Mars
Published 22 months ago by pavixen88

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruno Mars, Smooth and delicious!, December 11, 2012
Z. Mehrbach "Zach" (Chicago/New Hampshire) - See all my reviews

Personally I don't always listen to pop music, but Bruno Mars' voice seems to have a huge range, he's gritty, smooth, soulful, sharp, and gentle when it's called upon. He does all of this while maintaining a relaxed timbre and cool about his voice. It just a joy to listen to! In fact his style reminds me a bit of Michael and even some of the old Motown stuff like Smokey Robinson.

Although Bruno definitely excels at what are sure to be hits like "Locked out of Heaven" of which sounds a bit like The Police, my favorite songs on this album are when his voice is unaltered. "When I was your man" is a beautiful ballad that really shows his vocal range and is a really sweet song about a man who looks back on his younger days when he should have bought his love flowers and danced with her. It's just a great tune and makes me wonder if I should have this song played at my wedding which is next year...not that I haven't bought her flowers...or for that matter danced with her...I swear I have, but maybe not enough!

Other favorites of mine are "Natalie", "If I Knew" (which is especially old-timey), "Young Girls" and "Treasure".

Overall this is a great album, definitely recommended if you like Bruno's first album, "Doo - Wops & Hooligans." He doesn't stray from his style while he definitely adds some tricks to his toolbox. As usual his voice is easy and brilliant to listen to! I also love that this music isn't overly mixed and lets his voice shine through. Yeah Bruno!

UPDATE: DAY 2 of listening

After giving this album an extended listen through headphones I can truly attest that Bruno's voice is not overly compressed or mixed to sound "fake" like on many other pop albums. I really appreciate this especially when half the time I turn on the radio and every other song is auto-tune. This is part of what draws me to Bruno so much.

Secondly, this really is a throwback album. I have read that others don't like how this album crosses genre's quite a bit. Personally I like this, especially when Bruno pays homage to 50's, 60's and 80's music. He does it justice, and I really enjoy hearing him do his own take by making some modern classics. This album has an analog, refreshing feel to the way it was recorded and performed. It's great to have a modern artist like Bruno doing this!

UPDATE 3: A month later

This is one of those albums that has songs on it that you hear the first time and you have that "yeah...okay...pretty good" kind of thought. But then for some reason the melodies get stuck in your head. I'll find myself getting a ditty in my head and then hours later I'll realize I've had one of these songs trapped in my mind all day. It's annoying, but makes me realize how catchy this crap is...! Then I just have to listen to the song/album and it goes away. Anyways...still highly recommended.!

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 Thumbs Up for Bruno's Sophomore but get Deluxe Version, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Unorthodox Jukebox (Audio CD)
So how do you follow up to a debut album that had nearly half the songs released as singles, two of which "Grenade" and "Just the Way You Are" hitting #1?

Upon first hearing "Locked out of Heaven" and then seeing the album cover featuring a Gorilla in front of a jukebox, I was very worried that the pressure put on Bruno was all too much... That is until I listened to the entire cd (steamed on his website) and then realized the brilliance of it all.

Unorthodox Jukebox is as Bruno mentioned in a recent interview, "taking all I've learned in the past two years and pushing myself lyrically, musically, and having fun creatively..." The result - 10 track collection that crosses many genres and styles appealing to the widest possible fan-base. If you want old-school, listen to "If I Knew." Reggae, "Show Me", 80s dance music reminiscent of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, "Moonshine" and power ballads like "Talking to the Moon", hear "When I was Your Man" (already slated as the next proper single) "Young Girls" and "Natalie" are sure to be future classics and show Bruno at his finest, delivering upbeat pop songs with extremely catchy hooks....

I strongly recommend purchasing the DELUXE EXCLUSIVE EDITION (which sadly is available only from another U.S. retailer) as it includes an additional 5 tracks, which give you a more complete picture behind the making of this album.

Track 11 features a debut with Esperanza Spalding called, "Old and Crazy", Tracks 12-13 are the original demo versions (vocal and guitar) to "Gorilla" and "Young Girls" while tracks 14-15 are two excellent remixes: the bass-driven remix of "Moonshine" by the Futuristics and a reggae infused mix by Diplo of "Locked Out of Heaven."

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Unorthodox Jukebox (Audio CD)
I am admittedly late to the Bruno Mars party but I am glad to be here. I had seen him perform a few times on TV and always found him interesting. I accidentally saw him open SNL and I was hooked. Later in that same show I was totally mesmerized when he performed Locked Out of Heaven. His charm kept me watching. Having bought this CD his voice, music and lyrics keep me listening. He is truly talented.
As usual Amazon delivered pronto as promised and the merchandise was in pristine condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars One groovy jukebox, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Unorthodox Jukebox (Audio CD)
For his sophomore album, Bruno Mars mines a wide sonic palette; Soul, Disco, Reggae, Electronica, Pop, hence the title "Unorthodox Jukebox". The album sounds retro and classic all at the same time.

Lead-off single "Locked Out Of Heaven" is a frenetic piece of Pop with yelping vocals, hints of the Police and adorned with horns and grunts. "Treasure" is a Funk/Disco number with rapid-fire vocals recalling Jamiroquai. The groovy Disco "Moonshine" channels Michael Jackson, while the gorgeous piano ballad "When I was Your Man" recalls Elton John's "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word", with Mars hoping his girl's (whom he obviously hasn't gotten over) new beau treats her very well. "My heart breaks a little when I hear your name" he sings.

The bouncy "Natalie" builds to an irresistible chorus. "Show Me" is Reggae with deep bass, quivery effects and oddly recalls Musical Youth's "Pass the Dutchie" in places. The menacing "Money Make Her Smile" builds to a frenetic chorus, while closing is the Motown-esque Doo wop ballad "If I Knew". With all these references to other artistes, this could easily have come off as pastiche, but Mars is a talented songwriter and singer whose personality shines through, making this a winner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bruno Mars, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Unorthodox Jukebox (Audio CD)
Mr. Mars is a seriously talented young man with a great voice and delivery. Unfortunately he put so many f-bombs in the CD I would not be able to listen to his cd with my nieces and nephews and that tainted the music. So in that respect I was dissappointed. However, the beat, the voice was great. I especially liked the song "When I was your man". I would really like for Mr. Mars to just do a simple love song accomplied by a guitar and piano so show off his great vocals. Here's Hoping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 5, 2013
It is rare that an artist can top his previous CD but he did. The entire CD is excellent. He has a style all his own. Looking forward to more from this artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, January 24, 2013
This review is from: Unorthodox Jukebox (Audio CD)
All the songs are great. Play it over and over again. I think my kids think I am losing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good music, May 20, 2013
This review is from: Unorthodox Jukebox (Audio CD)
My husband and I thoroughly enjoy this CD. With a mixture of bluesy, a little jazzy and some island mix this collection fits any mood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, March 15, 2013
His best work as far as I'm concerned. I listen to the whole album and I rarely do that these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars love,love,love, March 3, 2013
Can't get enough Bruno Mars! Love every single song! I can listen to it over and over and over again!!!Great album!!!!!!

Unorthodox Jukebox
Unorthodox Jukebox by Bruno Mars (Audio CD - 2012)
Click for more info