Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 11, 2012
Simply put, Bruno Mars' Unorthodox Jukebox is an excellent album. Bruno stays true to his pop/soul style while showing that his voice is capable of numerous styles.

Personally I don't always listen to pop music, but Bruno Mars' voice seems to have a huge range, he's gritty, smooth, soulful, sharp, and gentle when it's called upon. He does all of this while maintaining a relaxed timbre and cool about his voice. It just a joy to listen to! In fact his style reminds me a bit of Michael and even some of the old Motown stuff like Smokey Robinson.

Although Bruno definitely excels at what are sure to be hits like "Locked out of Heaven" of which sounds a bit like The Police, my favorite songs on this album are when his voice is unaltered. "When I was your man" is a beautiful ballad that really shows his vocal range and is a really sweet song about a man who looks back on his younger days when he should have bought his love flowers and danced with her. It's just a great tune and makes me wonder if I should have this song played at my wedding which is next year...not that I haven't bought her flowers...or for that matter danced with her...I swear I have, but maybe not enough!

Other favorites of mine are "Natalie", "If I Knew" (which is especially old-timey), "Young Girls" and "Treasure".

Overall this is a great album, definitely recommended if you like Bruno's first album, "Doo - Wops & Hooligans." He doesn't stray from his style while he definitely adds some tricks to his toolbox. As usual his voice is easy and brilliant to listen to! I also love that this music isn't overly mixed and lets his voice shine through. Yeah Bruno!

UPDATE: DAY 2 of listening

After giving this album an extended listen through headphones I can truly attest that Bruno's voice is not overly compressed or mixed to sound "fake" like on many other pop albums. I really appreciate this especially when half the time I turn on the radio and every other song is auto-tune. This is part of what draws me to Bruno so much.

Secondly, this really is a throwback album. I have read that others don't like how this album crosses genre's quite a bit. Personally I like this, especially when Bruno pays homage to 50's, 60's and 80's music. He does it justice, and I really enjoy hearing him do his own take by making some modern classics. This album has an analog, refreshing feel to the way it was recorded and performed. It's great to have a modern artist like Bruno doing this!

UPDATE 3: A month later

This is one of those albums that has songs on it that you hear the first time and you have that "yeah...okay...pretty good" kind of thought. But then for some reason the melodies get stuck in your head. I'll find myself getting a ditty in my head and then hours later I'll realize I've had one of these songs trapped in my mind all day. It's annoying, but makes me realize how catchy this crap is...! Then I just have to listen to the song/album and it goes away. Anyways...still highly recommended.!
1010 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2012
So how do you follow up to a debut album that had nearly half the songs released as singles, two of which "Grenade" and "Just the Way You Are" hitting #1?

Upon first hearing "Locked out of Heaven" and then seeing the album cover featuring a Gorilla in front of a jukebox, I was very worried that the pressure put on Bruno was all too much... That is until I listened to the entire cd (steamed on his website) and then realized the brilliance of it all.

Unorthodox Jukebox is as Bruno mentioned in a recent interview, "taking all I've learned in the past two years and pushing myself lyrically, musically, and having fun creatively..." The result - 10 track collection that crosses many genres and styles appealing to the widest possible fan-base. If you want old-school, listen to "If I Knew." Reggae, "Show Me", 80s dance music reminiscent of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, "Moonshine" and power ballads like "Talking to the Moon", hear "When I was Your Man" (already slated as the next proper single) "Young Girls" and "Natalie" are sure to be future classics and show Bruno at his finest, delivering upbeat pop songs with extremely catchy hooks....

I strongly recommend purchasing the DELUXE EXCLUSIVE EDITION (which sadly is available only from another U.S. retailer) as it includes an additional 5 tracks, which give you a more complete picture behind the making of this album.

Track 11 features a debut with Esperanza Spalding called, "Old and Crazy", Tracks 12-13 are the original demo versions (vocal and guitar) to "Gorilla" and "Young Girls" while tracks 14-15 are two excellent remixes: the bass-driven remix of "Moonshine" by the Futuristics and a reggae infused mix by Diplo of "Locked Out of Heaven."
on January 14, 2013
I am admittedly late to the Bruno Mars party but I am glad to be here. I had seen him perform a few times on TV and always found him interesting. I accidentally saw him open SNL and I was hooked. Later in that same show I was totally mesmerized when he performed Locked Out of Heaven. His charm kept me watching. Having bought this CD his voice, music and lyrics keep me listening. He is truly talented.
As usual Amazon delivered pronto as promised and the merchandise was in pristine condition.
on December 11, 2012
For his sophomore album, Bruno Mars mines a wide sonic palette; Soul, Disco, Reggae, Electronica, Pop, hence the title "Unorthodox Jukebox". The album sounds retro and classic all at the same time.

Lead-off single "Locked Out Of Heaven" is a frenetic piece of Pop with yelping vocals, hints of the Police and adorned with horns and grunts. "Treasure" is a Funk/Disco number with rapid-fire vocals recalling Jamiroquai. The groovy Disco "Moonshine" channels Michael Jackson, while the gorgeous piano ballad "When I was Your Man" recalls Elton John's "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word", with Mars hoping his girl's (whom he obviously hasn't gotten over) new beau treats her very well. "My heart breaks a little when I hear your name" he sings.

The bouncy "Natalie" builds to an irresistible chorus. "Show Me" is Reggae with deep bass, quivery effects and oddly recalls Musical Youth's "Pass the Dutchie" in places. The menacing "Money Make Her Smile" builds to a frenetic chorus, while closing is the Motown-esque Doo wop ballad "If I Knew". With all these references to other artistes, this could easily have come off as pastiche, but Mars is a talented songwriter and singer whose personality shines through, making this a winner.
on February 13, 2013
Mr. Mars is a seriously talented young man with a great voice and delivery. Unfortunately he put so many f-bombs in the CD I would not be able to listen to his cd with my nieces and nephews and that tainted the music. So in that respect I was dissappointed. However, the beat, the voice was great. I especially liked the song "When I was your man". I would really like for Mr. Mars to just do a simple love song accomplied by a guitar and piano so show off his great vocals. Here's Hoping!
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2013
It is rare that an artist can top his previous CD but he did. The entire CD is excellent. He has a style all his own. Looking forward to more from this artist.
on March 8, 2014
I am a full time engineer, arranger and producer of 40 years and I like to stay up with what is current. The production on this is fine and there is significant talent on teh album. I think the gratuitous use of explicit language and themes amounts to nothing more than pandering though. That type of material is simplistic and is not only offensive to some, but boring. This will never be one of my favorite albums. However, it is a good study for me to see what types of production concepts are currently popular.
on February 6, 2014
Bruno Mars second studio album, Unorthodox Jukebox, definitely showcases him as a formidable singer of solid pop songs. "Young Girls" is as light-weight as most pop ballad. "Locked Out of Heaven" utilizes all of Mars’ vocal range and showcases it to the best of its ability.

The album's second single, "When I Was Your Man", matches Mars’s vocal ability to great poetic lyrics.
The third single "Treasure" has Mars doing what he does best, singing a great pop song. “Moonshine” sounds and feels like a 1980s Glenn Frey song in an episode of Miami Vice.

Mars "Gorilla" song has nice verses but the rock-anthem chorus is weird. “Show Me” has the feel-good reggae rhythm of a Musical Youth standard. “Money Make Her Smile” has all the theatricality required for a 1980s Michael Jackson music video.

All in all this Jukebox seems very Orthodox.
on April 12, 2013
I love Bruno Mars, I love this album, but I wish I would have bought the non-explicit version. I am not a fan of unnecessary swearing and feel like every song with the F bomb in it, could have easily not been said or replaced. The songs are amazing though and I'd recommend the NON-EXPLICIT version.
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2013
WOW - Bruno's music is going thru a change. When it's stated that it's unorthodox, they're not kidding. Gorilla is a real rocker and their video of this is one of the sexiest videos I have ever seen attached to music. Way to go, Bruno ! ! I was sadly surprised to hear M-F'er twice on this CD - I just don't see the need for that. However, the whole CD is great and gets a lot of play from me.