4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting
You will NOT receive what you see in the photo. You will receive a bag full of chunks and crumbles, which is not a problem, just letting you know what to expect.

Published 22 months ago by KaylaDahl

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the price
As shea butter can be quite expensive, the price is a wonderful value. I did see another review that mentioned it being dirty-and the package DOES state that it comes AS IS and to expect some debris, etc. With that said, I use shea butter for all things head to toe on my children and me so this was a great value and I will be ordering again... I just don't like having...
Published 19 months ago by Ti West

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting, February 5, 2013
This review is from: Raw Unrefined Ivory Shea Butter TOP Grade From Ghana 5 lbs-- SOFT (Misc.)

Now about the color, I have never gotten shea butter that had such variation of color... some pieces were ivory, or cream colored which is exactly what I expected, and other peices were a dingy brownish almost greenish color. They lost a star here..

You will get a sticker on the bag that tells you you have to process the product. basically you have to melt it all and then strain out all of the dirt, sticks, string, or any other debris. This does take a considerable amount of time.. ******This is NOT a take from the package and apply to skin product***** again, something i am ok with because I make whipped body butters and do that process anyways...

This is NOT hard butter, I never knew there was a soft/hard shea butter, so if you are using it to make body butters, be aware that it will absolutely change the texture of the final product, Mine felt a bit gritty not at all like the "Frosting consistency" that I am accustomed.

Shipping was within the timeframe specified, it wasn't crazy fast or anything, typical wait time...

Overall, I am not sure whether or not I will purchase this again. It is an amazing price,and it may be exactly what you are looking for, I'm just not sure if it is for me or not :D

5.0 out of 5 stars ivory shea butter, October 9, 2012
this was my first time ordering from this seller and i was very pleased
the shea butter was a beige/off white coloring and a bit grainy but
once you rubbed it into your skin it felt great!!!
the packaging lol it was in a plastic bag but i
just transfered everything to those 32oz plastic containers.
i filled 3 and half of them up. all in all the product was good
shipped on time and i will be reordering next i will go for the 10 lbs!!!
whole family uses shea butter in conjuction with the afrcan soap.
very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, January 6, 2013
This product came in a box and inside that box was two plastic grocery bags containing the Shea butter. I did weigh the butter and only actually received 3.8 pounds not the 5 advertised. However this was still way more Shea butter then I know what to do with and still an awesome price for so much. The plastic bag had a note attached stating that this was a raw product and may have natural impurities and that they suggest refining before use. I called the company with questions about how to accomplish that. The level of customer service was amazing. They called back promptly multiple times as I missed their calls at first. The butter was not a solid brick like I expected but broken down into many small pieces. I never bothered to refine it and just use it as it is. It feels a little grainy at first but melt as you rub it in. It has a strong smell that was pleasant at first but I have since become pregnant and can no longer tolerate the smell. I'm sad I can't use it right now because it does wonders for my skin. I plan to buy a lavender or peppermint oil to melt and mix so I can continue to use it. I look forward to buying from this company again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Ordered, October 4, 2013
As the title says, this product was exactly what I ordered. It came earlier than it was expected because they shipped it the day after I placed my order. I was alerted by SmellGood when they shipped my order, and they sent it Priority Mail at no additional cost to me. The packaging consisted of a box and two plastic bags. The invoice was inside of the first bag, the shea butter inside of the second bag. Attached to the bag containing the shea butter was a note that directed me to their website ([...] if I wanted to learn how to process the raw shea butter. I watched the video and was able to process my own shea butter. I ended up with a very grainy shea butter afterwards once it solidified. I then did some research to figure out where I went wrong. As a result, one piece of advice I would give on that: STIR, STIR, STIR. Per the video, melt shea butter on VERY LOW heat, stirring until it is all melted; you should be able to see your spoon through the shea butter when it is all melted. I suggest that you then REMOVE from heat at that point. I put the pot of melted shea butter on a pot holder on the table, pulled up a chair, and using a big wooden spoon, I stirred and stirred for about 1.5 hours until I could no longer see the spoon through the shea butter because the density increased as the product cooled. Once the POT was cool to the touch, I poured the shea butter into my containers, stirring each individual container until there were no bubbles. I know it seems extreme to stir for 1.5 hours until the pot is cool, but the solidified shea butter I got after this was SMOOTH and CREAMY. Well worth the effort for a great product. One final note: if you don't like the consistency of your shea butter after you have processed it, re-melt it and try again. That's what I did after I did my research and the second try was perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars The price and quality can't be beat., January 5, 2013
T. Chu (Pasadena, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this unrefined Shea butter because I read refined Shea butter often have chemicals added to them, and because they were heated, some nutrients were destroyed. I want to take full advantage of Shea butter's natural vitamin A and E, so I took my chance with this unrefined Shea butter.

It's a little more nutty smelling than I anticipated, but it's not bad. It's just earthly and smells like nuts and soil. I blended it cold with equal amounts of almond oil, then lightly scented it with 5 drops of NOW Foods Lavender & Tea Tree Oil, 1 ounce per every 4 oz of cream. It's pretty fabulous. The original shea scent is not covered. It's blended in.

The package is about the size of a 500 page pack of letter size printer paper.

It says you could filter the butter with cheese cloth again if there are debris, but mine had hardly any debris in it that it'd be a waste of effort to do so.

Overall, other than the earthly smell that was a bit stronger than I anticipated, this is a fabulous product. It's also the cheapest source I found at $17/5lbs including shipping.

Edit: I found out from a friend that you can put these in freezer proof 1 gallon bags and stuff them in the freezer so they'll last a really long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, November 12, 2012
I'm using it for my body butters & it's great, the only drawback is the smell but that can be changed with essential oils..perfect for my creams

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product, October 29, 2012
The item arrived earlier than scheduled, packaged well and secure. True to the description and happy with the results. Definitely will order again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite What I Ordered, But Value More Than Compensates..., July 3, 2013
I placed my order on June 26, 2013, and received it today - when it was promised. I was so excited that it felt like opening a Christmas present; however, upon opening the package, I realized I did not receive the item for which I paid - I ordered the IVORY Shea Butter and was shipped the YELLOW Shea Butter. I emailed the seller - who apologetically responded the same day! - and was told they would send me out another order after the 4th of July Holiday. Yay, great customer service!

Now, despite the minor mixup, I must say the value for the money is amazing. I purchased 5lbs for $12, which yielded six-16 oz containers after being refined, and Whole Foods is selling 7oz of 100% Shea for $10.99 and the 2oz container for $8.99. That's a savings of $170+... will most definitely purchase from Smellgood again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what i wanted--the purest level of processing!! Pre-processed! just filtered, January 29, 2013
They have filtered this but fro what i can tel nothing else. Also you may want to know that there is a big difference between "white" and "ivory" Shea butter. White from what I can tell is what rises to the top when boiled. I don't want mine boiled- killing all the essential nutrients. Ivory is BEFORE they make the yellow and white kinds. Pre-processed. Fells awesome- smells pleasantly nutty not over powering at all to me at least.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unfiltered sheabutter in the raw, January 12, 2013
Semi-creamy whitish/beige color. Has the appearance of
cookie dough with small bits in it. Has some debris
and of course it is oily. Came in a plastic clear
bag in small and large chucks. Soft smell but way
more less than the yellow sheabutter. Much easilier
to work with in chucks; so time is saved trying to
cut into it. The process of filtering it do take some
time but its worth it.