4.0 out of 5 stars Great value if you know what you're doing.
I've purchased a variety of beans from this vendor and have always been pleased with their products. The reason I rate this 4 stars and not 5 is because it's my least favorite of their products (however I have purchased it more than once due to the low price).
Published 19 months ago by Nathan

1.0 out of 5 stars Beans Crawling With Bugs
I'm fairly new to home roasting, and was very excited to find unroasted beans on Amazon. I usually procure my beans through Sweet Maria's, but I like the speed and convenience of the Amazon purchasing process. I ordered a 5lb bag of unroasted Sumatra Mandheling beans and they arrived the following day.

It was late in the evening before I got around to opening...
Published on March 27, 2012 by JohnT

1.0 out of 5 stars Beans Crawling With Bugs, March 27, 2012

It was late in the evening before I got around to opening the bag. As soon as I cut the top off of the vacuum sealed bag, I noticed that the beans didn't look quite right. They looked sort of "mealy", as though something had been eating them, and they smelled off. As my eyes focused a bit better, I quickly saw the cause of the problem. Bugs. Little reddish-brown beetle-like bugs, crawling all over the beans. UGH! I took a few pictures to document the problem, closed the bag, wrapped it in a couple plastic grocery bags, and stuck it in the freezer.

The following morning I called Coffee Bean Direct to report the insect infestation. Though the person I spoke to was professional and polite, she was completely disinterested in assisting me. She kept repeating, "You bought the beans from Amazon, you'll have to deal with them to get a replacement or refund." I told her that I wasn't worried about replacement/refund...Amazon is fantastic when it comes to making things right. I just wanted the company who actually imported & packed the product to be aware that they had a serious insect problem. Again she was completely disinterested. Afterward I did call Amazon, and they sent out a replacement immediately. The replacement bag didn't contain any live bugs, but the beans were again so bug-eaten that they are totally unfit for human consumption. Again, Amazon made things right and issued a full refund, then pulled the product from the site so that no one else has to get a bag full of bugs.

I have contacted the USDA, the FDA, and the local health department for Stockton, NJ, where Coffee Bean Direct is located. The gentleman at the health department was a bit thrown off by the name of the business, as his department has neither issued a certificate for, nor inspected, a business by that name. Similarly, the FDA stated that they would be seizing imports for this company at it's point of import. They are very concerned that this company's products may be introducing non-native species of insects into the country.

CBD is a company to be avoided at all cost. The beans they offer for sale are inferior quality beans, and not subject to even a minimum of quality control. And they do not stand behind their product. Who could blame them, really?

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality control, February 21, 2011
David Andrews (REDMOND, WA, US) - See all my reviews
I bought 5 lbs of this instead of my usual order from Sweet Maria's. I had some of each on hand to compare, and right away I saw that the Coffee Bean Direct beans were full of misshapen beans and even a few stones. When it came to roasting, it was much more difficult to get an even roast in my iRoast2. When I drank the first few cups, the difference was even more striking. I will be pawning this off on my relatives who don't know better, and ordering a replacement from Sweet Marias.

As bad as this review is, there is nothing horrible about the beans, but with an equally priced and far supperior competitor out there, there is no reason to buy this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value if you know what you're doing., February 20, 2013
Nathan (Moreno Valley, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
Coffee roasting is never a set it and forget it task and nothing makes that more clear than these Brazil Santos beans. That said, with a little care it's possible to get a very good roast out of this product. I've had the best results by slowly drying the beans at very low temperature over about 4 minutes. Once the beans are a pale yellow, I kick up the heat. I've found that too much heat early in the roast results in a very uneven roast (these beans are less forgiving than other varieties in my experience).
At the very first sign of first crack, I reduce the heat again. At low heat, I aim for about 8 minutes between first crack and second crack. I prefer these beans at either city or full city roast. There is noticeably more body at city, but there are pleasant caramel undertones at full city.
In my opinion, anything darker than Vienna is unpleasantly bitter, though your tastes may differ.

Overall, this product possesses an excellent value for the dollar, though it takes some finesse at the roaster to experience that value.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great roasting bean, June 15, 2010
J. Wilson (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
Been buying roasted beans from this company for several years so have a great deal of trust in the quality. The Nicaraguan SHG beans roast up beautifully with normal chaffing. The flavors are subtle so don't expect to be bowled over by the boldness. It's great either by itself as a well-balanced cup or mixed with a bolder bean for a totally different taste. I like mixing with a Rwanda or Sumatra bean or just experimenting with multiple combos. Can't go wrong with this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good; easy and inexpensive to roast, March 10, 2012
This review is from: Green Unroasted Colombian Supremo, Whole Bean Coffee, 5-Pound Bag (Grocery)
The beans were well packaged and delivered quickly with Amazon Prime--two days. Despite warnings that a conventional electric oven is a poor way to roast coffee, it was all I had till my popcorn popper arrives. I used a wire-mesh pizza screen over a ceramic "pizza stone" to roast the beans.

I preheated the oven to 500F and let it stabilize for nearly ten minutes, while I spread the beans in a single layer over the pizza screen, taking care to reach beneath the screen and push any beans back up onto the surface of the screen before placing them on the stone. Any beans slightly poking through the screen will be stuck there and difficult to remove after roasting without pulverizing them (they swell when roasted).
Next I placed the screen onto the stone. The idea was to use the stone to even out the electric oven's heat, and to ensure as uniform a roast as possible.
I quickly opened the oven to rotate the mesh screen 15 to 20 degrees at 90 second to two-minute intervals. (You can easily move the screen without burning your fingers by using a pair of table-wear forks.) I listened for the first crack, and waited till about midway through the second crack to remove the screen and dump the roasted beans into a mesh colander over the sink, where I agitated them vigorously to remove the chaff and cool the beans.
If further cooling is needed the beans can be placed back onto the cooled pizza screen and suspended between two raised objects to allow air to circulate around the beans.

I was delighted with the medium roast of the beans! I made a large Americano with the espresso machine . . . my son commented that his coffee actually tasted sweet in the aftertaste.

If oven-roasting turned out this good, I am excited to discover what roasting beans over the stove in the (purchased from Amazon!) popcorn popper may produce.

Excellent beans, great flavor and aroma.

UPDATE:
Purchased the Great Northern Stainless Steel popper from Amazon . . . and I am very pleased with the roasted beans. It took some experimentation (and some mistakes) to learn how to get the most uniform roast from the popper.
Here's what I learned, in a nutshell:
1) Preheat the popper on the lower end of "Medium" (electric stove) for a couple of minutes.
2) Put in between 1 and 2 cups of beans, and begin turning the lever. I give it three moderately slow turns (just a little less than one full turn/second, times 3) then 4 turns as fast as I can, then repeat the three moderately slow turns, then 4 fast turns, etc. I think it may be a little better to take a very brief jag backward on the turn before taking the 4 fast ones--the beans sometimes stick under the agitator blades, and this shakes them loose.
Why the three slow then four fast turns? Because the beans tend to rest on their flat sides, and just slide around on the bottom of the popper, getting dark on the bottom flat side and a bit too light on the rounded side of the beans. The four fast turns agitates them and makes the beans more uniform. If you don't believe this, try it both ways.
Agitate as above through the first crack, and as the second crack begins, pop one side of the lid open and dump the beans into your colander for cooling/de-chaffing.
That's it.
I get results quite similar to the commercial roaster we have a few miles away.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot Get Good Roast, December 1, 2010
E. Belt (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I have previously ordered various green coffee bean types from a couple websites with good roasting success. I decided to try this product on Amazon for its good price and free shipping. However, I've tried various degrees of roasting from very light to very dark and cannot get this coffee to taste good. There just seems to be no flavor. I use a Nesco CR-1000.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beans, good price, some inclusions, June 2, 2011
I started roasting my own coffee beans 6 months ago. It's easy and satisfying, and generally cheaper than buying roasted (and already-too-old) beans. These Mocha Java beans taste great and roast well. I have found more foreign objects in this bag than I usually see - pebbles and a small metal object - not a lot of them, just more than usual. Inspect your beans, and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great well-balanced coffee, July 26, 2010
J. Wilson (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
Much to like about this coffee. Not too acidic, well-balanced flavors. The beans roast evenly for me at full-roast. Very happy to be drinking Panama Boquete any morning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice taste, easy to roast and well packaged, March 14, 2010
TL "bean nut" (Grand Rapids, MN, USA) - See all my reviews
I just started home roasting and this was my first purchase of green coffee. I am a coffee enthusiast, and living in a small town, home roasting is the only way to get fresh roasted coffee as the stores just don't sell inventory fast enough.

My first batch of this coffee was great tasting with nice body and earthy flavor I would expect from Sumatran. It was packaged well and I received it in 3 business days.

From past experience with store bought Sumatran, I like a city plus or maybe full city roast rather than the very dark vienna or french roast the stores seem to like. Roasted to city plus or full city, this product produces a flavor that is full and earthy, but not over the top like a dark roasted Sumatran can be. Lighter than city plus will taste grassy like most coffee. Just my preference and your experience will tell you what works for you.

I read some home roasting how-to articles on the web and tried to roast using an air popper to a city plus or full city, ending up with nice medium colored and evenly roasted batch. The aroma when newly roasted is kind of "raw", but after an hour or two it is fantastic. It wasn't very tricky to roast and I've been able to repeat the results as often as I need fresh beans, usually 6 to 8 oz. of beans each weekend.

After letting the roast "breathe" for a day, it made great espresso in a 15-bar pump espresso machine with fair crema, and in a 3-cup Italian moka pot. With a coarser grind it was terrific in a French press as well. I haven't tried it in a drip machine. The results have been consistent from batch to batch and I would buy it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE & YOU CAN'T RETURN, January 25, 2012
I roasted a cup of these for a medium and then dark roast to test the quality. Both were horrible. These beans may have been "green", i.e., not roasted, but they are not fresh. The whole point of purchasing green and roasting your own is to achieve real freshness in coffee. I will never purchase coffee again on Amazon. When I attempted to return (which was most of the product minus 2 cups) I was told that was not possible.

Green Unroasted Colombian Supremo, Whole Bean Coffee, 5-Pound Bag