5.0 out of 5 stars great book!
First, I want to say that this is my first Heather Graham book, and it has gotten me hooked. I just purchased all of her Krewe of Hunters series and am eager to read them.

Published on March 27, 2012 by mrsinserra

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but still the same old formula.
Ok so when Heather Graham writes a book I think she has a checklist of "must haves". She doesn't use all of them in every book but she uses as many as she can.
*Heroine with auburn/red hair
*Heroine must be beautiful and "spunky"
*Hero who is a widower (but divorced in a pinch)
*Hero is more "compelling" and oozing capability than handsome
*Group...
Published on March 31, 2012 by Allicat

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but still the same old formula., March 31, 2012
*Heroine with auburn/red hair
*Heroine must be beautiful and "spunky"
*Hero who is a widower (but divorced in a pinch)
*Hero is more "compelling" and oozing capability than handsome
*Group of "red-herrings" usually friends of Heroine
*One of the red-herrings is either related to or has dated Heroine
*Actual "bad-guy* is the "least likely" of the red-herrings
*Sex scene in the shower followed immediately by one in a bed
*Try to make ghosts female
*Try to make a character Native American (but not only Native American - have them be a mix)
*Try to set the story in New Orleans
*Hero and Heroine should feel an instant attraction and fall into bed (or usually the shower first) within a few days of meeting.

Now this doesnt mean that her books - including this one - arent enjoyable - because they are - but I think there comes a point when you have read enough of them that they start to feel like you are reading the same story just in a different setting. This isnt her best book - the "bad guy" was obvious from fairly early on and the relationship between Hero and Heroine seemed too sudden even by Graham's usual standards. Still, the central pair is likeable enough and the setting (the Alamo) is interesting. This is the sort of book - comfortable and familiar - which you slip into while you are waiting for something else to be released.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, March 27, 2012

So this book, as I understand, is a branching off of her Krewe of Hunters series. I realized this about a chapter in when the Krewe of Hunters was mentioned and I thought to myself, I think I have a book on hold that is from a series by the same name. I paused, looked it up, and low and behold, I did. I was worried that I might get confused when reading this book, so I did some research to see if this was part of the series, or an off shoot. I discovered it was an off shoot and was very happy. You do not have to have read any of the Krewe of Hunters series to understand this book at all. Since I do not have a bias based on previous books, like some reviewers, I totally enjoyed it.

The story starts out pretty quickly and is easy to follow. It reminds me of Dark Hunters in a way, the whole brooding single guys and tough single girls who protect the innocent, the whole crime fighting aspect, the romance aspect, and the whole supernatural part. But that is the only comparison. It is completely unique, at least compared to what I have read.

This is more like a historical mystery, crime fighting novel. More along the lines of Sherlock Holmes with a paranormal romance twist. There is a lot of action and the two main characters are quite developed. I wonder if other books, if written, will follow other members of the team? That would make sense. This book was full of suspense and kept me on the edge of my seat, I had to force myself to go to sleep because I had church in the morning, even though I was almost at the "who done it part."

Now for who was the bad guy? I am so not going to tell you, you will just have to read and find out on your own. I was delightfully surprised that I had not guessed who'd done it before it was revealed, that makes this a very well written story, in my opinion.

Now I have to say this is an ADULT book. It has multiple sex scenes, though not as graphic as some, they are by no means just "they fell into each others arms ect..." They are a bit graphic, but this is an adult paranormal romance novel, not a book written for teens. I don't remember any swearing, but that doesn't mean it wasn't in there, if it was, there wasn't so much that it bothered me.

In conclusion, this book was super good, and I highly recommend it. I would recommend this book only for adults, but obviously, it is up to you what your kids read. Teachers, this is NOT one to recommend to students to read, things will just go south from there.

If you like mysteries, paranormal romances, or books with a bit of historical romance mixed in, you will love this book, I am sure of it!

I received this book as an ARC. I do not get paid to review books; I do so in order to assist parents and teachers in recommending appropriate books for your kids to read.

Please read more of my reviews on my blog: sarahereads(dot)wordpress(dot)com

4.0 out of 5 stars Always an interesting easy read, June 21, 2012
You get exactly what you expect from a Heather Graham book. An easy to follow quick pace, a little romance, a little adventure, a lot of dime store scary. Funny thing is no matter how predictable the story line is, no matter how one dimensional the characters are...Heather always writes a book you WANT to keep reading. I'm guessing that's what separates the good writers from the mediocre. I like this book as well as most of her other books. It's not one of my favorites, but I would probably read it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Lackluster (Yeehaw). . ., April 14, 2012
In light of my low rating, I must first confess this was the first Heather Graham book I've read. I don't know how I missed her before - she appears to be as prolific in her way as James Patterson.

I was born, raised and have lived my entire life in Texas. San Antonio is my favorite city in Texas, although I've never lived there. With that in mind, I expected a lot more from this book and a seemingly well-established author.

I had such high hopes for this book and had eagerly awaited its release, to the extent of pre-ordering it. Now having read the book, I'm not even sure the author visited San Antonio. Some of the story is based loosely around the Alamo, which of course is a dominant landmark of the city, but the history itself is only vaguely presented. I guess I should clarify the inclusion of the Alamo here - there was a ghost, a park bench and a lot of gazing at the Alamo chapel. Once or twice Alamo Plaza is mentioned, and once, Ripley's Believe-It-Or-Not (gag) is mentioned. It's across the street from the Alamo (shudders, I know). The one time the characters ate on the RiverWalk, it was a vague reference and certainly did nothing to promote tourism for the city - not that that was the author's intended goal, of course.

I am just saying that San Antonio has so much to offer and I had truly hoped the author would use some of the landmarks/events that make the city the treasure that it is - at least to the extent of making the reader believe she had actually been there.

Also, in Texas, there is a certain sterotype of the cowboy and that lifestyle. There are those here who do seem to enjoy embodying that lifestyle. There are those of us who detest it. This book does its level best to embrace the idea that Texas is one long rodeo and we are all duded up for it. Thankfully, this is not true.

The storyline is weak, the main characters difficult to warm up to. At best, they are flat - at worst, in the case of Sandy, just annoying. Conversations are dull, pointless and stereotypical. The romance is not great. Normally, I love the inclusion of Native American characters and backstory, but in this case, there are two strong Native American leads and I spent a third of the book trying to distinguish between the two.

I understand this is part of an ongoing story, something I did not realized when I preordered the book. I have already bought a couple of the beginning books and I will read them, but if they are not any stronger than this one, I can't see spending valuable time and money any further.

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you expected., September 7, 2012
Y. Scott (Lexington, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Unseen is a paranormal mystery/romance novel, which deals with a mysterious murder case in 1800s and current murders.

If you like ghost stories, Southern tough guy, and some sex scenes, this is the book for you. You'll be entertained. However, if you look for a serious mystery book you may get bored.

As long as you know what you are looking for, you won't get disappointed.

I read the Advanced Readers Copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mystery With a Little Romance!, August 12, 2012
Gayle (Auburn, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of mystery with a hint of romance, but not the over the top bogged-down-in-sappy-emotions type of romance. This book delivered that! It was a light mystery with a happy ending. Just what I was looking for! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Unseen, June 4, 2012
The title is what you get. It was a super good book and Heather Graham always delivers top entertainment. She incorporates her busy life style into her writing. I happen to love books that deal with the 6th sense and she does a great job at doing so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read., May 13, 2012
THE UNSEEN caught my interest immediately and held it tight until the stunning conclusion. The characters are wonderful and very realistic. The pacing is spot on as the reader is taken on a roller coaster of a ride as the team attempts to catch the murderer before more bodies are found.

Having a federal unit consisting of members with `special' gifts is not a new theme though most fit into the thriller/suspense genre. Ms. Graham has definitely added her own deft touch with the sparks that Logan Raintree and one of his team members Kelsey O'Brien throw off.

Also the legend of the Galveston Diamond is so possible that I had to do a web search to discover whether it really does exist. I am happy to say that it doesn't and is only a part of Ms. Graham's wonderful imagination that she shares with her readers.

I highly recommend it to any readers who enjoy their romantic suspense with a touch of the paranormal. Also readers who enjoy Kay Hooper's Bishop series will want to check out this series.

I rate this book a 3.8.

***I received this book at no charge from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. No monies have or will change hands.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, April 10, 2012
Heather Graham is kicking off a spin-off series to her Krewe of Hunters books, with this romantic-suspense, peppered with paranormal elements. As someone who has never read the original series, I can tell you that this is a great place for new readers to jump in, since a crew of all-new characters are introduced. And I never felt lost at any time.

Jackson Crow is the leader of a paranormal law enforcement group and he is putting together the second team of its kind to help investigate crimes. To lead the Krewe, he chooses Logan Raintree, a Texas Ranger whose wife was killed by a perp three years ago. For an investigative partner, he chooses Kelsey O'Brien, a US Marshal from Florida. Both Logan and Kelsey can see ghosts and communicate with the dead in their own ways, and Jackson hopes they will use their gifts to solve a string of murders that seem to have very little in common.

Over the course of the story, we find that the murders are tied to the history of the Alamo and the mysterious disappearance of an ancient diamond. Somehow, a haunted hotel plays into it all, as well. Logan and Kelsey work together with other members of the new team to figure out what their victims have in common and who killed them.

It doesn't take long before our hero and heroine are inexplicably drawn to one another. And they fall in love while working the case. The romance was just OK. I never really felt gripping emotions from these two and the love scenes felt kind of uninspiring.

And it wasn't my only problem with the book. There were way too many history lessons wrapped up in the story. I'm not looking to learn the history of the Alamo when I read a romance novel. And yet, I learned as much about it here as I did in my 7th grade American history class. Plus, I figured out who the main killer was about 100 pages before it was revealed. Not cool.

I guess my biggest complaint is that the book didn't inspire much passion in me, either with the mystery or the romance. Overall, the whole thing was just kind of so-so. 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The UNSEEN - Heather Graham, January 19, 2013
The 1800's Room 207 of the Longhorn Saloon, young Rose Langley was brutally murdered. Present day San Antonio 1 yr ago in room 207 of the Longhorn Saloon another woman is assumed to be murdered, as no body was found but the room was covered in Blood.
As of present, several remains have been found all of young women all almost decayed to much to be identified.
Logan Raintree,a local Texas ranger, Kelsey O'Brien a U.S. Marshall are brought together and offered a place on a new team being put together by Jackson Crow a member of the F.B.I., but this is a special team,a Krewe, who's members have talents not disclosed to many.They see and speak with the dead,they can sense what others cannot.
Can they solve the riddle?What does a woman's death hundreds of years ago have to to do with the current ones? More importantly can they solve it before any more are claimed?

This is the second Heather Graham I have read with or involving the Krewe.The story grips you from the beginning having many interesting side plays as well as the main story line.
I look forward to her next one.

The Unseen (Krewe of Hunters)
The Unseen (Krewe of Hunters) by Heather Graham (MP3 CD - March 27, 2012)
$24.99 $20.34