5.0 out of 5 stars Unspeakable
Rookie FBI profiler Elaina McCord is struggling on her first case. It seems no one wants her to succeed, and everyone is getting in her way. But Elaina is smart and determined, and she'll do whatever it takes to solve the case.

Published on November 1, 2010 by M. Nix

STORY BRIEF:
Published on July 4, 2010 by Jane

3.0 out of 5 stars This book felt flat. I wanted more emotional development, more details, and closure from men who mistreated Elaina., July 4, 2010
Jane (Chicago, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
STORY BRIEF:
Elaina is a rookie FBI agent. She studied to be a profiler. She is sent to Texas to gain field experience. She is unwelcome in the male world. Her boss plans to fire her within the year. He sends her to Lito Island, Texas, to work on a serial killer case. The local police chief and Texas Ranger in charge of the case don't like her and don't want her involved. They make things difficult for her. Troy is a local author who became wealthy writing true crime novels. He is interested in the case and helps Elaina even though she doesn't want his help. The killer kidnaps women, kills them with a knife, and dumps their bodies in wildlife refuge areas.

REVIEWER'S OPINION:
At the end of the book, I felt a number of subjects were incomplete. I wanted to know more about what the killer did to his victims, were they conscious at the time, what his feelings were, and why he did this. I wanted to know more about the killer's involvement with the online game. I wanted to know what the killer was thinking and feeling when he contacted Elaina to give her clues. I wanted to know who and why certain FBI men wanted Elaina to fail. At the end of the book, I was hoping to hear comments from FBI men and the local authorities about being thankful for what Elaina did regarding the case, and/or changing their minds about her, but not enough happened.

I was not emotionally engaged. I had trouble caring about Elaina. I did not like the way she treated Troy. I wasn't in Troy's head to understand why he was attracted to Elaina, other than her long legs. After they had sex, they both treated each other poorly and were angry with each other, which didn't feel right to me. It felt like an excuse to create conflict. The story could have used more romantic emotional development.

DATA:
Story length: 384 pages. Swearing language: strong, including religious swear words. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: 2. Total number of sex scene pages: 9. Setting: current day Texas, Mexico, and Virginia. Copyright: 2010. Genre: romantic suspense.

OTHER BOOKS:
I've reviewed the following books by Laura Griffin.
4 stars One Last Breath
5 stars Thread of Fear
3 stars One Wrong Step
4 ˝ stars Untraceable
4 ˝ stars Whisper of Warning
3 stars Unspeakable

5.0 out of 5 stars Unspeakable, November 1, 2010

True-crime writer Troy Stockton can have any woman he wants, but Elaina is proving a challenge. The sparks fly between Troy and Elaina as they try to find and stop a serial killer who preys on innocent women.

Troy is a little arrogant, yet with good cause. He's a man of many talents, and he makes Elaina look even greener than she is. Elaina follows Troy's lead in the beginning, but as the story progresses, they work together, and she manages to level the playing field. She's determined to prove herself, and against all odds, she does. She's intelligent and good at her job. There is little romantic chemistry between Troy and Elaina, although they are attracted to each other. Elaina holds a lot of animosity towards Troy and constantly gives him the cold shoulder, so it's somewhat of a surprise that Troy is so persistent. They do have a very sensual romance and get their happily ever after, though. Unspeakable is exciting, suspenseful, and very well written. I was guessing until the end and surprised at the outcome. The Tracers series is compelling and riveting, and I'm anxiously looking forward to book three. Laura Griffin has quickly joined the ranks of my favorite romantic suspense authors.

Nannette
Reviewed for Joyfully Reviewed

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner by Laura Griffin, June 30, 2010
Elaina McCord is having a bad career day. A new FBI special agent, she had put down her top choices for a post--Baltimore, D.C. and New York--but ends up in the office called the graveyard of careers: Brownsville, TX. Not only does her supervisor dislike her for unknown reasons, but the sheriff she's sent to work with on her first assignment makes it clear he doesn't want her help.

No one listens to Elaina's theory that the most recent victim was killed by a serial killer whose first murder--that of Mary Beth Cooper--took place nine years earlier. That old case has been solved; the culprit imprisoned but the bodies keep coming.

As the investigation into the latest murder begins, Elaina meets Troy Stockton who published a book about the nine-year-old case, attributing the death to the now imprisoned Charles Diggins. A well know writer, Troy interviewed Diggins and obviously doesn't agree with Elaina's theory. Other than that, he's very impressed with the special agent.

Troy is a wonderful character, successful, strong and sexy, who works with Elaina to investigate the most recent murders. As they work together, Elaina discovers her own strengths and recognizes she is a capable agent as she solves the case through hard work and guts. The novel ends with an exciting, suspenseful chase through the channels of the coastal waterway as Troy and Elaina speed after the murderer and his last victim.

Laura Griffin has written another sizzling thriller with unforgettable characters. Nominated for a RITA for Whisper of Warning book, Ms. Griffin has another winner in this exciting tale of love, adventure and learning to trust. If you're looking for great characters, romance and a fast-moving story, you'll love Unspeakable.

Reviewed by Jane Myers Perrine

5.0 out of 5 stars good 2nd in the series, August 3, 2010
Laura Griffin's second book in the Tracers series has an excellent serial killer storyline. I also enjoyed Griffin's interesting use of the geocaching phenomenon, but the romance was a bit iffy. I just wasn't quite sure that driven FBI agent Elaina would get involved with true crime novelist Troy given that she wasn't interested in a relationship with anyone in Texas (a place she never wanted to be stationed and planned to leave just as soon as she could) and that she generally seemed annoyed by Troy though he proved helpful at times. Fortunately, the romance is a minor storyline while the murder investigation is at the forefront. The killer's identity came as a shock; it was easy to figure out who he was married to, but his identity was quite the puzzler. It all came together very well.

1.0 out of 5 stars This might have been a good book., February 9, 2014
This review is from: Unspeakable (Tracers) (MP3 CD)
It was totally ruined by the reading by Talmadge Ragan. I couldn't focus on the actual story because the woman's enunciation was so distracting. Sometimes it seemed slurred. Other times it was over enunciated. She often gave -ed endings an actual syllable of their own, and the same with words ending in 't'. I listen to tons of recorded books, and I have never had this experience. I will make certain to never purchase a book read by this person again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Second Book in Series, March 9, 2013
Unspeakable by Laura Griffin was a quick, suspenseful and enjoyable read. Elaina and Troy were likeable and they had good chemistry. I would have liked their characters to have been better developed. Perhaps then they would have seemed more real to me. Although I enjoyed the first book in the series, Untraceable, one of the annoying factors for me was that the main characters were not better developed. I was hoping Unspeakable would be different. Perhaps it is just the author's style not to delve into the main characters past too much. With that being said, I still enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more books by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars A really good mystery suspense but with little romance or emotional pull to speak of, December 3, 2010
Hooked (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
Billed as romantic suspense, I found book two of the "Tracers" series to be a complex and interesting mystery with a romantic element, but lacking the emotional depth of a romance.

Plot summary: Rookie FBI agent Elaina is sent to Lito Island, TX to help capture a serial killer who is killing women, dumping their bodies in park reserves, and taunting the FBI with clues to their location. The FBI and local PD don't want to work with Elaina because she's a woman, a rookie, a rule-breaker, and she embarrassed the sheriff in front of his employees on her first day. Local true-crime writer and playboy Troy wants to help her solve the case, garner fodder for his next book, and get into her cargo pants.

Pros: Griffin is a very good suspense writer and the mystery in this book was complex and involving. I liked the use of forensic science and Internet games, and Robert Hanssen references. I did not guess who the killer was. It was a really well thought out plot. The six points of views were used nicely to build suspense. I liked the supporting characters particularly Mia and Ben. The location descriptions were really good from the beach bar to the park reserves.

Cons: The characters were hard to like and I didn't see growth in either the hero or the heroine. They were a little one-dimensional and I think that's because the focus was really on the suspense and mystery story and less on characters, to a fault imho. The Elaina POV scenes were mostly career-focused and the Troy POV scenes were fewer and gave us no insight into why he liked Elaina other than she was a challenge and had nice gams. So the two sex scenes, though well-described, didn't have an emotional pull for me. The declaration at the end didn't make sense or ring true and seemed to be added to fit into a romance formula. Troy's a playboy whom Elaina said would never love her, we aren't given any reason to believe he will now. I really think this book would have been stronger billed as a mystery, with a different ending focused on the perpetrator and the FBI agents, instead of the weak romance.

Nit-picky cons: When Elaina remembers and regrets her first drunken tryst with Troy, she remembers being pulled from the hot tub and a box of condoms on the night stand. These weren't mentioned in the original scene. In fact, as I read it I thought they were having an oops without the condom. I don't think Elaina was so drunk she hallucinated a hot tub, so I think this is an inconsistency that was missed in editing. A detail, but still.

Overall it's a well-written, involving mystery, but not nearly as emotionally engaging as her other titles. 3.5 stars. I do really highly recommend the first book in the Tracer's series "Untraceable" and the Glass Sisters series "Thread of Fear" and "Whisper of Warning."

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful and Sexy, June 30, 2010
Crystal Fulcher (Beaufort, NC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
What an exciting and sexy book. I loved the interplay between the two main characters from the very beginning and the main storyline was equally exciting. Unspeakable is a wonderful romantic suspense.

Unspeakable is the second book in the Tracers series, with Untraceable being the first. I have not read the first one, but will go back and read it now. I believe they work well as standalone books but I think reading them together gives a little more information in the background of the forensic unit. However Ms. Griffin does a wonderful job giving some background in the book, so I was never lost, but I don't think it was too much where readers of the first book would be bored.

Wonderfully paced, this book hooked me from the first page. I honestly didn't see the who the killer was while I was reading it. Everythime I thought I figured it out, something else came up that took me away from that person. It was well-thought out and while the crimes were gruesome, the detail was not enough to make the squeamish cringe.

I also enjoyed the character. Elaina has some issues to work through and you get to know her little by little through the books. I loved how Ms. Griffin layered her development of Elaina and Troy. I felt like I got to know them throughout the book and I hope they make an appearance in the third book out this fall, so I can see some more of them. The romance was also paced well, there is an attraction from the beginning and some tension several times before they take it further, and that sets up the romance storyline well. It's never smooth sailing for these two and that makes it interesting.

So if you enjoy your romantic suspense, then make sure to check out this series from Laura Griffin. Untraceable is on it's way to me now, I ordered it from paperbackswap about 1/4 of the way through Unspeakable and I will be in line to get the third book in the series in the fall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unspeakable by Laura Griffin, August 13, 2010
This is Laura Griffin's second novel in her Tracers trilogy, featuring high-level forensic experts who solve unbelievable crimes. UNSPEAKABLE features a rookie profiler who's on a mission to find a killer in Texas. Elaina McCord has always wanted to be a profiler. She gets a call to investigate a string of murders near a popular Texas beach resort. When she comes up with a profile she is laughed at and the local law doesn't want to help her. However, Troy Stockton, a true crime writer uncovers evidence that makes Elaina's case look good. Troy and the elite team of forensic experts know as the Tracers are her only allies as the case turns personal. The killer has Elaina marked as his victim.

Laura Griffin pulls out all the stops with fantastic characters that make your blood boil at times and chills them the next. Her plots are dynamite, dialogue superb, and fast paced. I've been a fan for years and wouldn't miss a book by Laura Griffin. You won't either once you grab a book by this sensational author. I'm already for the next thrilling book. You go girl!

Suzanne Coleburn
The Belles & Beaux of Romance
The Fairy Godmother of Romance 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridget's Review, June 27, 2010
Elaina knows what she wants to do with the rest of her life which is working as an FBI profiler. Who could have guessed that her first case would be so overwhelming? There's a serial killer on the loose and he just keeps getting nastier and nastier with each new murder.

Elaina finds herself growing close to Troy, a true crime writer. She's not sure why she is wasting time with this gorgeous player but the more time they spend together, the more Elaina likes him. Can they work together to catch this maniac before he makes Elaina one of his unlucky victims?

This is the first book of Laura's that I've read and I'm hooked! She's an amazing author! The characters and the story captivated me. Now I just need to get a hold of some more of her books.

Unspeakable (Tracers Book 2)
$7.58