Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now bgg

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 26, 2011
While some of this material was available earlier in english, this lush, large book brings all of the troubles of Marlo, our gender bending werewolf and David, the noble son, heir and childhood friend.

In this original translation, the parents, particularly the mother plays the tongue in cheek humor while Marlo, our werewolf of the Yam tribe turns into a girl, so what better solution than marry to David....except that Marlo gets abducted every 40 pages by his ex, David's ex, etc. Warning to Marlo: when as a female, don't standing near open balconies lest you be kidnapped). The creator of fake makes a great yaoi, gender bender humor romance of the trials to marriage for these childhood friends. Whether it is Marlo made at David for sneaking off to sip female blood ("but you're only female a few nights a month!"), or Marlo escaping deportment and `ladylike' lessons from his mother, this is an enjoyable romp, like Fake with vampire and werewolf Bishi's.

A large side story of the Yam Tribe in included, which shows another romance back in the day when a vampire, his steed injured, meets a 18./19 year old cutie who hasn't changed as a werewolf...yet. While pursued already by a fiancee, this Marlo doesn't know if the moon will turn the body to wolf male or all female, and as love blooms (with some wooing) between vampire and shy cutie, what will the answer be? As Marlo grumps, "Why are you using OUR names for the characters in this old book mother?", "Oh, am I, well, it just seemed so much like you two!")

Highly recommended for those who like the best of boy/boy, boy/gender bender and `who cares what gender anyway' love.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2012
If you know this series and you're buying it you've genuinely enjoyed your previous experiences with it, you can skip this review. If you're like me and you're buying it for the cover and plot description, I'd hold on a moment.

I'll be blunt: the cover has absolutely nothing to do with the book inside. The art on the cover looks fairly modern, but the art inside in from around the Sailor Moon era*. In addition, the characters on the cover appear nowhere in the book. I repeat: NOWHERE. Maybe the cover is a modern depiction of the original, but it gives a very misleading first look. I don't know if this was on purpose or if it was some kind of mix-up, but unless you're looking for a more old-fashioned drawing style, there are many books with more modern styles (that have an accurate cover) that'll suit your fancy.

Stepping back from my judgements about the art, the story itself was... meh. Again, I was expecting something more modern, or with slightly more developed characters. I say this because 'back in the day' characters are pretty straightforward and border on superficial, and it's only more recentl characters that tend to have more development. That's a blanket statement - I know it's not valid in every context; I'm just working from my own experiences so far.

Whether this ends up being your cup of tea or not, good luck in your manga travels!

(*I'm not saying this as a bad thing - if that's what you're looking for, it's good. But when you see the cover and expect something different from what's inside, it sours the experience.)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2011
I was extremely happy with the re-release of this series. The new translations are good and I love the little extra story Sanami Matoh included.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse