Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 18, 2011
I received this book for my 40th birthday - I am an avid reader, and have a Golden Retriever - so this book was a perfect gift for me! Little did I know that this book would have such an affect on me! I was crying by page 6, and last night when I finished it, I was still crying! This book moved me in so many ways! The tears were from the emotion that poured out from the pages - happiness, sadness, anger, frustration, but most of all...the feeling of what true friendship means! If you are looking for a moving, thought-provoking and over all exceptional story - GET THIS BOOK! You will not be able to put it down for a minute! In fact, I actually delayed finishing the book - simply because I didn't want it to end! THANK YOU for sharing your life with us, Luis & Tuesday!
on May 1, 2014
I have read, and re-read this book several times, and each time, I take away more than the last read. It is truly on my top ten favorite reads...ever! My daughter, who is 11, recently read it and it is now her favorite book, which speaks volumes, because she can always be found with her nose in a book!

I currently help train dogs for people with physical disabilities and have recently assisted in training dogs for people with PTSD. There is no greater gift you can give someone than a new best friend....one who will be there for you no matter what personal hell you are experiencing. Captain Montalvan's book is a perfect mix between educating the public on the true nature of the effects of war/stress and capturing the playful and loyal spirit of the Golden Retriever.

The bond between a dog and it's handler is amazing and there are no single words to describe it. If you have never had the pleasure of seeing a dog like this doing what they were meant to do, please find time to do so. it will change your life forever!
on November 26, 2012
This story is beautifully, honestly written.l I have a much clearer understanding of PTSD and what is needed to help our wounded warriors. Tuesday is amazing. As my friend - to whom I recommended the book - said, "I want a dog like that!" Luis Montalvan's bravery on the battlefield both in Iraq and at home is undeniable. A must read!!
on May 14, 2014
What happens we send our finest men and women off to defend our freedoms and the freedom of others who are being oppressed? More importantly, what becomes of them when they return from duty? Until Tuesday - A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him, gives us a both a heartbreaking and heartwarming look into the aftermath of a selfless soldier returning from months of combat in Iraq. Former Captain Luis Carlos Montalván provides his account of the physical, emotional, and psychological impacts of military service in a way that helps the readers understand the true depths of PTSD and how it's possible to survive and thrive once again. Dog lovers, and in particular golden retriever lovers, will initially be drawn to this book because of handsome Tuesday, but will eventually realize that it is the bond between Montalván and Tuesday and their acquired dependence and independence that will touch every heart.
on January 3, 2013
This book has given me a new perspective and appreciation for the veterans who have given up so much for me. I want to give thanks to all military, past, present, and future for your service. It also makes me realize how important my little Max is to the residents and rehab patients where I work. Sometimes he is all they have to look forward to. A lick can go a long way. :)
on September 15, 2013
I went to hear Luis speak at a library event. I love dogs, and I know they are incredibly capable... but... I went to hear about the PTSD.

People can look fine on the outside but be torn up like you wouldn't believe on the inside.
Luis's poem "Split in Half" right at the outset-- he got the alienation right.
PTSD can make it hard to manage daily living, much less have thoughts of a future. You feel estranged from others and from "the you that you used to be". And yet you look fine.

I am so glad Luis eventually recognized he needed help and was able to get a service dog.

I was glad to read that Luis got his father's support eventually.
The book did contain excerpts from their conversations. I would have like a chapter written by his dad explaining what the lightbulb moment(s) was. It sounds like his father is a very private person, and so I understand why no chapter, but I did wonder. Was it talking to the psychiatrist, something on a website, or something out of the blue and totally unrelated to Luis that changed his perspective?

Chapter 12 particularly riveted me. Luis's friends, who were the USA's friends, were in grave danger. How terrifying to think you might get death by bureaucracy.

Politics, like PTSD. I would never argue with someone's experience --it is informed by their suffering.
After reading this book I am better informed about service dogs, PTSD, one man's experience of war, and veteran's issues.
I intend to help a veteran.
on March 28, 2014
I can't imagine the courage it took to write this book. Captain Luis Carlos Montalvan allows us to glimpse the horrors of war and the toll it took on him so that we can better understand the healing he was able to achieve with Tuesday's help. After all of the sacrifices he has already made, he has sacrificed some of his privacy in order to educate as many people as possible about the struggles facing veterans and others with disabilities and the role and value of service dogs. Sadly, there is a great deal of ignorance on the subject, but Luis' advocacy has, I'm sure, made a difference. He is a warrior with an artist's soul, and this story is a beautiful tribute to his amazing relationship with Tuesday, who is clearly an angel in a Golden Retriever suit.
on August 13, 2011
This book brought me to tears of joy, followed by tears of commiseration. Repeatedly.
Tuesday, a service dog, and Capt Montalvan, a veteran of multiple tours in Iraq provide great insight into how service dogs, soldiers and war survivors are made, and how they deal (or not) with their environment.

The book is a good read. You may disagree, you may be horrified, you may even be launched into action (I hope so).

Please give it a read, and when you see a soldier, take the time to thank them.
on May 2, 2012
I found this book while conducting research on Veterans aand their service dogs which I now call
human helpers.

This is a true story of survival and how "Tuesday" assisted the Veteran on rebuilding his life as well
as sharing his life with others.

I later contacted the Veteran (Luis Carlos Montalvan) due in large part that I too am sharing my life
with others due to in large part a service dog.

This book shares great insight on programs which help all of our Wounded Warriors on the road to
recovery.
on October 13, 2013
"Until Tuesday," is the story of Capt. Luis Carlos Montalván, who served in the Army for seventeen years and who was deployed in Iraq during that time. The way he expresses his thoughts about life, the military, Iraq, being wounded, survival and recovery are honest and truly compelling. His sheer determination to live a meaningful life is remarkable. Learning how to navigate this some times crazy world with a Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ain't no easy task. Luis is a survivor and a remarkable human being. And his relationship with Tuesday, who gave him back his heart, is awesome.

"Until Tuesday," should be required reading for anyone who works with people with a TBI or PTSD. This book would be a great comfort to anyone who is struggling with their own recovery and it would help those who love and care for them as well. I think anyone with a heart or even a broken heart would be glad they picked this book up and read it. I didn't want to put the book down. And I didn't want to read it too fast either because I didn't want it to end. I highly recommend, "Until Tuesday."