4.0 out of 5 stars Good read
I am a fan of this author and while I really enjoyed this book I didn't think it was quite as good as some of her previous ones. It did have quite a few twist but I found the ending a little far fetched. However overall I really enjoyed this book.
Published 6 months ago by sherril

2.0 out of 5 stars This book should have been called: Baby & Pregnancy Mania!
Hours of my life have gone to waste. If I wanted to read about babies and pregnancy, I would have sat with my pregnant cousin (who pops out babies in rapid successions) and made her tell me all about labor contractions and birthing.

Published 4 months ago by Madison

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Until You're Mine (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Potentially harmful to pregnant women!, January 8, 2014
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Until You're Mine (Kindle Edition)
A chilling psychological thriller about maternal urges, the story is told from three viewpoints. Claudia is a social worker and stepmother to twins, with a long history of miscarriages and still-births. When we meet her, however, she is finally about to achieve her overwhelming desire for motherhood - eight and a half months pregnant and about to give birth to a healthy girl child. Zoe is the impeccably qualified nanny whom Claudia has hired to live-in, to help her with the children while her naval-officer husband James is at sea. Claudia and Zoe each tell their stories in the first-person, so the reader is aware straight away that Zoe isn't quite what she seems, but Claudia too is soon wondering if she's made the right choice.

The third viewpoint is told in the third-person, through the eyes of Detective Inspector Lorraine Fisher, whom we meet when she has been called to the scene of a horrific murder. The heavily pregnant victim has had her stomach sliced open and her baby forcibly removed, killing both mother and child. When a second similar crime occurs, it seems there is a maniac targeting pregnant women...

It's been a while since I found a book that insisted on me pulling an all-nighter to finish it, but this one was truly unputdownable. Although the parts about the murders are graphic and gruesome, they don't overwhelm the story, which is much more about the psychology of the three women and how they are each, in their different ways, affected by the urge for motherhood. Hayes handles the characterisation of Claudia and Zoe brilliantly, twisting the reader's assumptions back and forwards, so that the only thing that's certain is that nothing is quite what it seems. Hayes manages the difficult balance of letting us get to know them well enough to relate to them, while holding enough information back to make each twist a surprise. Lorraine's story, of trying to handle a major investigation while dealing with a marriage in trouble and a teenage daughter going off the rails, is convincing and realistic; and serves to give a solid base to the increasing tension of the Zoe/Claudia strand.

Dark and disturbing, distinctly scary at points, but handled with a deftness and lightness of touch that prevents it from becoming too difficult a read, this kept me gripped all the way through. Although the storyline stretches credulity a bit, Hayes manages to keep the reader on side through the quality of the writing and characterisation. And one of the best last lines ever...but you'll need to read the whole thing to find out what that is! Highly recommended - except to pregnant women. This is not one to be reading in the waiting room at the ante-natal clinic...

NB This book was provided for review by the publisher, Crown Publishing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read by a new-to-me-author, June 19, 2014
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Until You're Mine was a fantastic read! I love a great thriller-- fast paced, complex plot and a great twist mean an all consuming afternoon of great reading.

From the prologue to the ending, the reader is kept wondering about Zoe, the mysterious, cagey Nanny hired to help Claudia and James, a busy family of four whose expansion is rapidly impending, as Claudia is 8.5 months pregnant. Claudia is stepmother to two twin boys and a social worker. Woven into this story is the frightening occurrence of the murders of pregnant women, one of which is Claudia's client.

This novel is written from the viewpoint of three women-- Zoe, Claudia and Lorraine, the Detective Inspector in charge of investigating the case. Each have their own mini stories that add to not on the suspense but complexity of the plot. Lorraine and her husband Adam-- who's also on the police force, are struggling in their marriage, something that's affecting their two teen daughters, Grace especially. I found Grace's story line to be rather superfluous and the resolution to be anti climactic. That Lorraine and Adam couldn't just 'man up' was infuriating. Zoe's story line was a bit more complicated and multi-leveled, with the writer willingly leading the reader toward one assumption and then suddenly revealing, on a hairpin turn, another explanation.

I'll save the most surprising character twist of all for your discovery. Suffice it to say I read the last chapter and the Epilogue twice, trying to understand. I must say that epilogues, as of late, are starting to annoy me. What I think could be at least one or two more explanatory chapters becomes a dump of 'okay here's what else happened'.

I truly enjoyed this story, what a wild ride. It's rare that I read a book that makes me gasp aloud, OH My GOD! I'd definitely pick up more Samantha Hayes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously replete with "red herrings", March 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My mother, the original source of my willingness to occasionally indulge in a mystery/thriller (although I have recently avoided the genre) would have commented that Samantha Hayes' "Until You're Mine" is deliciously replete with "red herrings". The story is intricate and filled with plots and subplots, false clues, and sidelines.

The basic narrative, of course, has to do with the obsession of at least two of the characters with the successful gestation of a baby. However, the concerns of parenthood developed in the book don't end there, because the detective team of Lorraine and Adam, who have a relationship in serious trouble, are likewise dealing with parenting issues. These factors are developed in an elaborate overlap of internal and external drama.

Stylistically, the narrative fluctuates between first- and third-person, as well as present and past tense. This might lead to some confusion for the reader, but I really had no serious difficulty in keeping track of the story line. The crime-scene descriptions are a bit grim, but not overworked. The author obviously prefers psychological tension to scenes of mayhem, and builds that tension without littering the scene with unnecessary descriptions of gore. I award this novel a four instead of a five star rating only because I am not overly fond of the subject matter, not because I find any significant flaws in the writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary Thriller, November 25, 2013
Heather's Book Chatter (Hamilton, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Until You're Mine (Paperback)
This book was a huge surprise. I’ve never experienced such a change of heart in the course of reading any other novel. I was all set to give the novel three stars when the ending came along and completely blindsided me. It changed the entire book for me and I loved how the author tied everything together.

The subject matter definitely made me squeamish. Pregnant women having their bellies cut into aren’t something I normally want to read about. However, I thought it was interesting how the author focused on different women and their struggles with fertility. I thought the author did a good job of depicting an infertile woman on the outside looking in.

The story is told from three female points of view: Lorraine, Zoe and Claudia. I liked reading about each character and their struggles they faced. A few of the sub-plots were a little boring, but I understood their purpose a little more as the story unfolded.

I don’t want to post spoilers, so I’ll only say the ending will leave you breathless. I’m never usually surprised, but there were incredible twists to the story. I loved how I never saw it coming, but now when I look back at the novel, it makes perfect sense. The author didn’t leave plot holes for the sake of a shocking twist.

I would highly recommend this novel to suspense lovers. The crimes are horrifying and I was on the edge of my seat over if the right person would be brought to justice.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book for review!

2.0 out of 5 stars This book should have been called: Baby & Pregnancy Mania!, March 20, 2014
This review is from: Until You're Mine (Paperback)

When I read the glowing reviews here, I couldn't wait to read the book. Critics hailed it, so I expected to be thrilled, instead I found myself reading about two women OBSESSED (I mean, OBSEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEED) with babies. Where was the thrilling aspect of this book? Did we all the read the same book? There was a twist in the end - but honestly by then I just wanted the whole thing to be over so I can Klorox my brain from the baby mania.

I have nothing against pregnancy and babies. Quite the contrary, I love children. But when I bought this book, I expected a thriller and certainly not a book about pregnancy/maternity. I like good things in small doses, but I swear nearly every page out of this 400 page book had something to do with pregnancy. Everyone was either staring at a bump or clutching one. Lotsa and lotsa (did I mention lots?) talk about wanting, NEEDING a baby and how a baby is the be all and end all of everything.

I do understand that the theme of the book is an obsession with babies, but I felt that the author was overdoing it. As a reader, I get it that a character is desperate for a baby. There was no need to reiterate it again and again and again. It was SO tedious and tiresome.

The book shifted among three different female perspectives: Claudia, Zoe, and Lorraine. I didn't like any of the characters. Lorraine who is a detective seemed too incompetent to even be on a major homicide case. Claudia and Zoe are obsessed with babies.

Additionally, the fact that the plot moved at a snail's pace didn't make it all better. And if you were to remove the whole baby/pregnancy references, the book would be 200 pages shorter. I've had my fill of anything related to pregnancy after reading this book and never want to hear about it for a long time (until I forget the baby mania in this book).

The fact that I managed to complete the book is why I awarded it two stars. If you're looking for an actual thriller, then look elsewhere. If you want a book FILLED with pregnancy and baby talk (like as though you're poring over the contents of a pregnancy-related magazine) or about two women OBSESSED with babies and domestic drama to boot, then you might like this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast-Paced!, June 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This debut novel opens engagingly, though I am not usually a fan of books that rely on more than one first-person narrator unless the chapter has headings that are more clearly marked for the identity of the narrator... But the author uses this tactic to her advantage in aiding along the plot twists and surprises. But even with these machinations, the plot is not entirely unpredictable. Although, it is a fast-paced and rather gripping read.

The beginning feels a bit drawn out, but by the end each piece of the plot fits nicely together for an exciting climax. Hayes also offers readers more closure at the end than I anticipated, so it really feels like a complete and satisfying novel. I certainly, though, would not recommend this to any pregnant readers - it is downright grisly from that perspective! Though I like the book, I wish that the plot had relied less on manipulating the reader. Still, it’s a solid debut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nanny Or Not The Nanny?, June 8, 2014
PattyLouise "Patty" (The lovely East Coast!) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Until You're Mine
Samantha Hayes

What I knew about this book before I read it...

I knew that this book was a chilling mystery about a nanny and her new family but I had no clue it was going to be as good as it was! Also...it's a very British sort of mystery.

My thoughts after reading this book...

Zoe becomes the nanny to Noah and Oscar...twin sons of Claudia and James. James does something naval and is away at sea most of the time...Claudia is a social worker and very pregnant. Zoe steps into their lives but not quite seamlessly. At about this same time...just as we are getting to know the workings of this family...we meet Lorraine and Adam...married detectives. They are trying to find out who is killing/mutilating pregnant women. The story takes twists and turns that will delight and puzzle readers. I had no clue who to blame for anything...in my mind...Zoe was the "bad guy."

What I loved about this book...

I loved the alternating stories of the murders and sort of ordinary lives of Claudia and Zoe and James..their work...their friends...their families. The author skillfully led me through this maze of dysfunction. It was awesome.

What I did not love about this book...

Zoe the Nanny...the author did a wonderful job of creeping me out about her. Oooh...and her whatever...Cecelia...creepy there, too.

Final thoughts about this book...

Ok...it's not a cozy mystery nor is it a creepy thriller but it is a great mystery with tons of twists and turns. It's one of those books that distracts the reader from anything else going on around...I missed about ten things my husband was telling me because my head was so into this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thriller of 2014 --- so far!, June 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Samantha Hayes has written a chilling and subtly complex psychological thriller that will creep up on you and leave you with your head shaking in disbelief.

Impossible to put down, UNTIL YOU'RE MINE deals with several narratives that are all related and ultimately converge in a stunning climax. It seems pregnant women are being murdered in a British suburb and the police are chasing clues without success. Meanwhile, Claudia is expecting her first child with her Naval Officer husband, James. They are already raising two twin boys from his first marriage --- his wife died of cancer --- and he spends most of the year stationed in a submarine. They advertise for a nanny and hire Zoe --- a woman obviously giving in an assumed name and acting very strange around the pregnant Claudia.

You won't see the twists coming and that's what makes this such an effective and brilliant novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was blindsided by the twists in this book., May 23, 2014
If you're a fan of dark and twisted psychological thrillers (think Flynn's GONE GIRL and Koch's THE DINNER), then this book is going to be one to keep you up all night: first by your not being able to put it down; and secondly, by not being able to get it out of your head. And don't be tempted; just don't be tempted, to read the ending first. I promise you, the very last sentence will make you shudder. Just wait for it.

Detective Inspector Lorraine Fisher has seen it all. Or so she thought until she entered the bloody apartment. The victim was heavily pregnant and sliced from sternum to pelvis. Both mother and baby are deceased. What monster could do this? Worse yet, within days, there will be another attack, just like this one. Who is attacking these pregnant women and trying to steal their babies?

Claudia is a Social Worker charged with seeing to the welfare of at risk children. She met James, a respected Naval Officer and widower when checking in on his weeks old twins, Noah and Oscar. They fell in love quickly and Claudia easily assumed the role of Mum to the boys and wife to James. They weren't without problems but there was love. After several miscarriages and stillbirths, Claudia is pregnant and in just a couple of weeks will be giving birth to a healthy baby girl. Finally! After all of the heartache of losing so many children, she and James will be bringing a little daughter into the family fold.

Answering an advertisement that James and Claudia placed for a live-in nanny at their beautiful English Estate is Zoe Harper, who at first blush appears to be the perfect candidate. She even brilliantly manages a small issue with the twins during her interview. She's hired almost immediately and easily fits into the household. She even becomes friends with Claudia's best friend, Pip, who is also due to give birth in just weeks. But there's something about Zoe. Even though she does everything she can to befriend and care for Claudia during these last weeks of her pregnancy as well as the twins, Claudia just doesn't trust her and can't put her finger on why.

Author Samantha Hayes takes us on a terrifying journey into the world of Claudia, Zoe and Lorraine. These women, all very different, will have you experiencing every emotion. Hayes takes the delicate subjects of infertility, infidelity and family loyalty and blends them together into this page-turner. There are twists in this book that I did not see coming. The chapters alternate between the three women; Claudia and Zoe's in the first person and Lorraine's in third person. And then there's a chapter that leaves you guessing as to which woman you're hearing from. What a brilliant stroke of writing. I was blindsided.

✰✰✰✰✰

An ecopy of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley. The opinions above are expressly my own.

Until You're Mine: A Novel
Until You're Mine: A Novel by Samantha Hayes (Hardcover - April 15, 2014)
$24.00 $17.67