5.0 out of 5 stars Not the History You were Taught in School
Published 13 months ago by Joe from Illinois

3.0 out of 5 stars started off great
I gained a much deeper appreciation for the Soviet contribution and sacrifice during WW2. I think the first half was done really well. The second half overly partisan and failed to convene the whole picture. Many historical figures were painted in an overly black and white fashion. In the last episode, for example, the complicit nature of the borrowers, the banks, and the...
Published 4 months ago by C. Zhang

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the History You were Taught in School, September 24, 2013
This review is from: The Untold History of the United States [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Ever wondered why history in school was so boring and cliché with memorization of dates to be regurgitated on tests? Always the who, what, where but a less than honest or incomplete why? It is really no wonder why much of the world cannot understand why much of the American people really don't know the macro picture of what is going on (past and present). Most TV news media coverage, insight and commentary borders on laughable magazine show coverage. If that is how you inform your self, rise above the white noise and get this DVD set. One must know the true realities of the past to connect the dots to the realities of the present. The tiny number of news corporations that control your TV information input will not assist you in this endeavor.

As this information is quite dense, I highly recommended that you purchase the book also. Reading the book and following the DVD series helps with the mental organization and memory reinforcement. However, the book time line starts out in late 1800s and the DVD series starts out in the late 1920s great depression. The book also covers the widespread general American anger towards post WW1 war industry profiteering and Wall Street excesses that took place (surprise!) just before the great depression. The book is also heavily footnoted for further research or fact checking if desired.

As an avid reader from many sources, I attempt to form objective opinion based on facts. Many of the facts presented in this book and DVD series have caused me to largely re evaluate my thoughts on the FDR administration, the real reason for the double atomic bombing of Japan, the Truman Administration and the real root cause of Cold War with the Soviets. If you believe Ronald Regan should get the majority of the credit for bringing the Cold War to an end - see this and your opinion might change.

Recently released, the book and DVD series continue up to the present administration, times and conflicts. The pace of the DVD series seems almost slow at the beginning...not unlike a roller coaster climbing the tallest point. At the top (IMO),the Kennedy assassination. Then the fast paced roller coaster ride begins....and continues at an ever increasing speed today. In normal life, as events happen, they speed by and are replaced so quickly - resulting in nothing but a numbing blur. News papers are vanishing, daily TV analysis is so poor and internet analysis is so unreliable, that it takes a book and DVD series such as this, some developed critical thinking and reflection to process important events. Many contemporary surprises await viewers and readers - to remember important details that you either never knew, or had forgotten. These important details are the bits of information that connect smaller to larger events and form a more complete overall analysis.

Oliver Stone fans: you will notice bits of musical scores of his other fine works inserted appropriately along with his narration. If you haven't already, visit Oliver Stones Wiki page and you will understand this filmmaker's background and political views much better.

As this series exposes our past and present ever growing Military Industrial Complex, it must be viewed objectively and with a truly open mind. You will find yourself either enlightened and/or possibly angry after viewing (see 1 star reviews). Much of this information is of a disquieting nature. But if you honestly seek truth, you will view this series more than once. I am now the second time through the book and the DVD series. There are a few points made of which you might disagree. I did and you are free to do the same. In really old western movies, the good guys and the bad guys are easily identified by the color of their hats. The bad guys (black hats) were 100% bad and the good guys (white hats) 100% good - if the real world was only that simple. In reality, the world seldom operates in terms of true absolutes. Its the details that determine the actual shade of grey.

Real history must be learned or the same "mistakes" (or enterprises) are repeated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Credible, and Verified, October 16, 2013
Our family is usually skeptical about "the history" of any event, country, or person. After watching this series on Showtime, my son who is a History Teacher (he shared with us about being skeptical until you research it and locate the facts vs. fictions or flat out lies) decided to obtain more information using FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) as he was a FOIA Coordinator for the Federal Government before moving on to become a Teacher at a major University. He located all the information that Mr. Stone put forth and we all read for ourselves just how accurate this series is. This is why I (we) gave it a 5-star rating. I have no political views regarding this series, just wanted to verify the facts. I have no desire to argue politics or some ideology. Wish they had taught this in our history courses when we were young. This is very much well worth watching or reading. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-researched and mature effort from a controversial director. The Blu-ray is great too!, October 23, 2013
Oliver Stone's entertaining and informative "Untold History of the United States" takes another look at important events that shaped our country during the last 100 years, from The Great Depresseion through Obama's current term as President. Unsung heroes like former Vice President Henry Wallace are praised for their forgotten efforts, while well-regarded figures are examined in a new light. It's very well-researched and presented with little to no flagrant bias: if nothing else, Stone intends this series to educate younger generations about the things no longer being taught in schools (or taught incorrectly). The inclusion of movie clips to enforce or contrast his facts and opinions can get a little old, but it also helps to break up these 10 one-hour episodes, which are loaded with plenty of rare historical footage and narrated by Stone.

Warner Bros.' Blu-ray serves up a nice packaging job, a solid A/V presentation and a bonus disc of extras included two one-hour prologue episodes and a feature-length companion documentary with author/filmmaker Tariq Ali and Stone. The series doesn't look to be available on DVD for now, making this Blu-ray all the more essential for history fans and those with an interest in their country's past, present and future.

For more details, please read my complete review here: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Oliver Stone makes you question everything!!!!!!!, October 12, 2013
This documentary series woke me up so much that I started to do research on my own about all of these subjects and made me question all the things I learned in school. I'ts shocking but it' the kind of shock we all need to see to wake this country up!!!! I highly recommend this item!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Important Show on Television, September 21, 2013
This is something that should be required viewing in High School. This show gives you a lot of information, and does so in a very interesting and satisfying way. Oliver is such an amazing storyteller that he has no trouble captivating the audience with his images, as well as his narration. It is hard to just watch one episode of this show, without wanting to immediately start another. After my first viewing, I knew that this was something that I wanted everyone I know to see. I will definitely be buying some as gifts.

Definitely worth $35.00 Even better during the second viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched, credible, true representation of our history, October 20, 2013
I have not yet purchased this from Amazon, as I am waiting for the DVD version. However, I did watch the series on Showtime, and found it absolutely mesmerizing. Oliver Stone has made a series that should be watched by every American. He's not afraid to explore the dark underbellies of all the sacred cows we've cherished. I watched the episodes multiple times because they are so packed with accurate, verifiable information that I was afraid I might miss something. Should be required watching by young people to assist in fully educating them and preparing them for their roles as they approach voting age. I plan to purchase this for my son and his family as a Christmas gift, also, in order that my granddaughter may watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally.....a man unafraid to bring us the truth., October 16, 2013
dennis "Florida" (Miami, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
Best documentary of all time, exposing the brainwashing our government and corporations give us all our lives until we actually believe their lies and accept them as the facts they are not.
I've known so many of these things and now more proof of the corruption and violent government we have that is out to make themselves rich and leave the crumbs to the working class.

This series totally explains why most of the world hates us and we deserve most all of it, with the awful hit and miss foreign policy we sometimes deliver through the C.I.A. so no one knows anything, while we kill and bribe who our leaders dislike. And "NO"......... stealing the natural resources of others lands and paying the top officials of that country to let us do it and leave the people with nothing is wrong on every level, but we do that everyday and call it "freedom".

They have systematically loaded us with foreigners in our own land, so no group thinks alike anymore, and simply argue about everything and no one has the power to vote these liars and fools out of office today. Our country is run by minority groups of outsiders that don't like this country or it's people in the first place, or at least most of them and simply vote anyone in that will continue to vote assistance programs to them in exchange for electing these crooks.

I'm a decorated soldier that hates what this once proud country now stands for which is nothing but cash, power and decline. I'm ashamed to even live here anymore as I'm forced to live with third world criminals and scam artist that manipulate and lie to get government handouts at my expense while I can't get ANYTHING. Oh yeah I get 60 years of working to build this land of the NOT SO FREE ANYMORE and a sterling military record but now can't get one dime of help from anyone. We're free okay.... free to get up everyday and go trade our labor for half the money we should get, and spend our lives making a handful of others rich that live like kings.Then you can retire on nothing while your body falls apart and pray each day to die because you can't afford to get any fixed with your health.
We're all tired of this anymore.
The film is breathtaking......

5.0 out of 5 stars never seen anything like this anywehre., January 15, 2014
alex stemkovsky (los angeles, ca, US) - See all my reviews
SMART, very smart. If you want to know thing you never knew before, this documentary is for you. Really incredible stuff that will make look differently on the US. Let me be clear, this is and anti-United States foreign policy documentary, and an anti-war documentary. Oliver Stone is a liberal and this is a liberal view of U.S. foreign policies that is skewed to Stone's personal anti-war beliefs. He states that "we need to 'femanize' this country", by which he means, FIGHT LESS. Is it biased, perhaps. However, the is considerable truth in this documentary and it is Stone's documentary so his views are the ones that are featured. You can decide for your self if you agree with his take. The "facts" are never the less there for you to ponder over. You may disagree with his take but he raises many questions that should force you to think.

5.0 out of 5 stars The True History, December 27, 2013
I was fortunate to watch the entire series on TV and I knew I had to add this to my library. I am a baby boomer and I can relate to a lot of the history that Oliver Stone presented. I have always been history nut and this series brings to light the behind scenes in American Politics and Big Money. Thank-you Oliver Stone for your contribution to the history of the United States

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake up call, January 22, 2014
Warren P (Sydney , NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
Oliver Stone's "Untold History of the United States" is a documentary masterpiece and one that should be compulsory in every school in America.

Whooooha! Did I say compulsory?

I guess you can't force people to watch something. But this is the dilemma in trying to get a message across in a society controlled by wealthy self interest and media magnets like Rupert Murdock with his Fox cable television network.

The big "Catch 22" in America for those with a social conscience is the need to have a well educated population and public schooling system while at the same time it's not considered in any way a priority by the self interested power moguls in control.

While there are exceptions of philanthropy, generally the rich and powerful that have influence don't have a social conscience or any desire to halt or hinder their march to some kind of pluralist society.

They like having the drones dummied down. Now with cable television, stupid reality shows, along with Fox's pinhead patriot Bill O'Reilly and his like minded cronies they have the perfect vehicle.

Oliver Stone's documentary genuinely seeks to ask Americans to take a look at how it's been led and what truths and untruths they've been told in his well narrated effort.

While Stone doesn't hide his admiration for Roosevelt, Henry Wallace and Martin Luther King he also doesn't hide the shortcomings of Obama and other democrats. Truman in particular. He liked to use the "N" word appears to suffer little man syndrome and his tough talk actions kicked off the cold war.

Statistics from war casualties to CEO salaries will enlighten you and more so disgust you.
Those that create or cause these wars, death tolls and the financial suffering by their illegal actions don't pay any price whatsoever and are often being lauded as heroes while the taxpayer pays the price.

So with pinhead patriots like Bill O'Reilly prepared to trumpet misinformation to his huge Murdock created audience what chance is there to have people realise that their blind patriotism has them being used in dirty wars to fill the pockets of those wealthy politicos that want them to remain ignorant?

Why do I say Murdock created?
Well Rupert Murdock realised a long time ago in England how to get a huge lightweight working class to buy his newspapers simply by sensationalising stories with fiction along with page three girls in bikinis.

Just compare a salivating Mr Geraldo and his excited news reports along with the generally bleached blonde females with six inch stilettos, fluttery eyelashes and image conscience personas to other networks. These people are not employed for their intelligence but sensational journalism (fictional if needed) and sex appeal. Musician Don Henley said it well with the song "Dirty Laundry"

Roger Stone will be called a lefty, a socialist and a communist no doubt as anyone does that speaks of social justice. Are his views leftist and socialistic? Yes. How can't they be?

But while O'Reilly and the conservative right continually try to label the word socialism as a dirty one their own blind patriotism is not unlike what lead Germans to follow Hitler's rants of patriotism to the fatherland.

Oliver Stone's documentary is a genuine effort to get America to look at itself before some chest beating nut leads the world into a catastrophe.

While I realise much of this review refers to Rupert Murdock's cable media I would argue the relevance of its mention by saying it's one of the major hurdles that a documentary touting this information is faced with.

The Untold History of the United States [Blu-ray]
The Untold History of the United States [Blu-ray] by Oliver Stone (Blu-ray - 2013)
$49.99 $41.04