Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Learn more

on December 16, 2014
These small books do have quite a bit of content, but they read more like a pdf than an actual book.
on September 9, 2013
I had several deja vu experiences reading through the book. A very good companion book to keep reminding you of the valuable lessons and wisdom you tend to forget once you overcome the current predicament.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I met serial entrepreneur, Rajesh Setty about two months ago as a result of an introduction from a friend. I went into the first meeting with Raj cold, having been referred in the morning and meeting in the afternoon and we hit it off straight away. After 30 minutes of intense conversation, I felt like I had know Raj for years.
I'm Upbeat about Upbeat

During our second meeting, he gave me a copy of a little yellow coveredbook, which he wrote in 2009, called "Upbeat: Cultivating the Right Attitude to Thrive in Tough Times".

Prior to our the second meeting I checked out Rajesh's personal Web page and read his extraordinary story.

If you haven't seen the movie "Slumdog Millionaire", it's a wonderful story about the experience of an Indian boy who escapes the desperate poverty and circumstance of being born in the slums of Bombay. His story is told through his travels and his life is enriched by his experiences (good and bad), where he acquires a general knowledge well beyond his station that he ultimately uses to complete the journey of a hero and win a million dollars TV show quiz game formatted on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". That is fiction, but it's a good story.

Rajesh Setty writes fiction and he writes a good story. His own story is a worthy and compelling read. Rajesh had read several hundred books by the time he was 9 years old, when he decided to try his hand at writing his own book. I know people who have read hundreds of books in their first 10 years, but I don't know anyone who wrote their first book at 9 years of age and despite 150 rejection letters, finally got it published at age 13.

Rajesh has written dozens more since in both a serious business tone, as well many fiction books in the crime mystery genre, however the fiction works were written in India and have not been translated into English.
A Small, But Powerful Gift

When Rajesh gave me his little book, I thanked him, put it in my bag and opened it in bed that night for a quick read before going sleep. That quick read turned into an hour and a monologue with my wife, punctuated with quotes, exclamations and references to particular insights and points of brilliance.

I have reread it twice since and feel compelled to write this review. Even though this book was written and published in 2009, as a shot in the arm for the general population feeling shell-shocked and helpless in the recession,
timeless and relevant now, as it was then.

"Upbeat" is a slim volume of 90 pages, you should be able to read it in an hour or so, but don't let size fool you, it's packed with practical wisdom from someone who is in the field and current, an entrepreneur taking risks in the arena and relishing the spoils and disappointments that life brings. If you've read Viktor Frankl and like Seth Godin's writing and thinking, you'll like what Rajesh has to say.

Rajesh suggests "For those of you who are thinking about doing something and you have been sitting on the sidelines, here is my $0.02 - if you want to grow at breathtaking speed and become someone that you will be proud of, the marketplace and the World has provided an opportunity again. Get off the wall and jump in."

The book is about personal growth and the daily decisions and attitudes that we take that determine our short and long term future. Broken into 5 main chapters; The Trap, The Discipline, The Network, The Strategy and The Actions, each section has subsection headings like; The Daily Conversations, I Need a Shortcut, Be Accountable to Yourself, You Better Get "Better" Help, and Spend Less and Spend More.

The nuggets of wisdom in these paragraphs can only come from reading widely and playing the game at the highest level and they inspire you to think hard about some of the choices you make every day.

Rajesh writes, "I Need a ShortCut, - The paradox in life is that shortcuts always take longer and or/cost more - though it has not prevented people from trying them all the time." How true this is... in our popular American culture, we are taught winning is everything - no prizes for second, (what happened to being in the arena and playing the game with a straight bat?).

This distorted thinking creates a "do whatever it takes" approach to winning. What comes from this thinking is an inevitable fork in the road; the hard way or the shortcut - one of my former hero's Lance Armstrong is our current poster-boy for the short-cut....who's next - everyone's favorite runner?

Rajesh Setty's little yellow book "Upbeat" is a timeless tonic for anyone interested in playing the game (of life) at a higher level than they are currently and is highly recommended. You can order it here.
on April 1, 2011
There are a TON of 'self help' books out there that get into the philosophy of why we're not happy, but they don't offer simple direction on what we should be thinking, when we should be thinking it and what the positive results will be if we act properly on those thoughts, moods and attitudes. Most of all, they don't come in a format that reads more like a manual (which we all need) that can be read over and over, for the reader to discover something new each time.

The first time I read the book a few sentences hit me like a ton of bricks. I wrote them on a piece of paper above my desk. The next time I read the book (1st sign that it is a valuable book!!) I found 3 more sentences that made me literally change the way I was interacting with people that day. The results? More than I expected.

If you are an entrepreneur or ever want to be successful in your personal OR professional life, read this book. Act on it in your DAILY. Then read it again 2 weeks later. Did you see better results? I did.

Rajesh knows what he is talking about. A great author in this space doesn't just study life's interactions and the success of others, a great author lays out the blueprint that worked from his own successes and lessons learned from failure...what an honest concept that makes me want to stay upbeat.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It's easy to have a terrific, upbeat attitude when things are going well; maintaining that sunny disposition when the stock market and housing markets are in decline, and your business is barely getting by---that's the trick. Rajesh Setty's advice may sound corny to some cynics; like mere platitudes; but it's what many of us need to hear, especially in these difficult times.

Nobody wants to listen to people complain about their troubles; yet for some reason, many of those people don't realize that also applies to their sad state of affairs. Setty's gentle advice: Get over it. Instead of being so focused on your own personal dilemma, broaden the scope of your thinking to include helping others who are far less fortunate. It's a recurring theme of "giving" instead of only trying to "receive"; and it's a good message.

Setty's pep talk is short and sweet; it's not profound, but it's going to help a lot of people out, if they listen to his advice. Sometimes, the simplest strategies can produce stunning results. Give it a shot; it won't hurt.
on September 27, 2009
I don't get the hype over this, maybe if you are really, really, really down give it a go, but I barely made it through the short read.
on July 8, 2009
Having been a fan of Rajesh's earlier work "Beyond Code: Learn to Distinguish Yourself in 9 Simple Steps," I was eagerly awaiting Raj's latest work, "Upbeat."

Here's what I think of when I think of "Upbeat:" it's my private coach.

I've been a regular reader and fan of Rajesh's approach to thought leadership for many years- mainly through his blog and various others avenues.

Now you can benefit from Rajesh's latest thinking in one hour. Yes, it's a little gem of 90 pages but it will provide you years of positive action.

And of course- staying "upbeat!"
on June 7, 2009
This book is a mindset changer when times are tough and the road is rough. In a short and concise handbook format, the book outlines how to have a great attitude to turn things around positively. What not to do, and what to focus on.

There are two sections in the book. The second section focuses on laying out steps point by point like a walkthrough, on chapters discussed in the first section.

A great book to go back and re-read every so often. So the value of this book should grow per each read. Great content, quick read.

If Rajesh's earlier book 'Beyond Code' focused on software professionals, 'Upbeat' is for wider audience and targets anyone who wants to learn how to avoid negativity, stop complaining about downturn/recession and start turning things around in our own small way.

Go grab your copy :)
on June 2, 2009
Regardless of what you do this book will help put some pep in your step.

It is easy to find mundane activities throughout our day that produces absolutely nothing. Whether you run a company with responsibility for others or simply manufacturing your own way through life, this book will begin to organize your thoughts and motives moving forward.

* Too often we are looking for others to give and we are happy to receive. This book will help you understand your network and how to work within it...Be a giver

* Too often we want to do it all. This book will remind you to accelerate in what you do best and encourage you to surround yourself with others that complement your talents

* Too often we dwell in self pity. This book will remind you of what makes you great

The greatest investment we have is in ourselves...Rajesh has done a great job in creating a short read speak volume in words
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Upbeat is a positive and uplifting book for people to read in any economy. The book is very concise, well organized and packed full of great information that you can apply to your personal or business life. Upbeat is also a great reminder that attitude is everything!