Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Anker Laptop Replacement Battery Pack [Li-ion 4200mAh/45Wh] for Apple 13" Macbook A1280 A1278 Late 2008, with 18 Month Warranty
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on September 18, 2013
I purchased this battery for my four year old MacBook. It arrived quickly, installed easily. I got about 5 hrs. of run time with this battery. I was extremely pleased with this battery, until the tenth day of ownership and the battery went completely dead and will not accept a charge. I bought this battery because of the great reviews it received, unfortunately it is defective and I will have to return it.

Update: Sept. 23, 2013. One day after writing the review I was contacted by the company. They apologized for the inconvenience and immediately sent a replacement battery. They also sent a postage paid return label for the defective battery. I was very pleased with how they immediately remedied this defective battery and I once again I am a very happy customer.

Update: March 10, 2014. Five months after using this battery, it is down to less than 30 minutes of run time. My daughter uses this MacBook in school, so 30 minutes of run time is unacceptable. Unfortunately I must now invest in another replacement battery.
1010 comments|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2013
After looking around for a few days for an alternative battery for my MacBook unibody late-2008, I found Anker and it appeared to be the best option next to the original part from Apple, but at about half the price. I purchased the battery and have been very pleased with it so far.

The product has a nice packaging, arrived in time and worked flawlessly, exceeding my expectations in every aspect. The fit was perfect for my MacBook, the duration and charging times are in line or better than the original.

After my purchase Anker did a follow-up to check if I was completely satisfied, which I was. Good customer care.

Hands down, I fully recommend Anker.
on January 30, 2014
I thought this was working great, and now all of the sudden its not holding a charge, zipping to single digits in no time at all. I'm not sure why. I will contact Anker about a replacement

JUST TO UPDATE, I CONTACTED ANKER REGARDING THE PROBLEM, AND THEY HAVE SHIPPED ME A NEW ONE, ALONG WITH RETURN POSTAGE FOR THE PROBLEM BATTERY, ALONG WITH APOLOGY AND SAYING WAS FAULT WITH THE BATTERY. HOPEFULLY THE NEXT ONE IS BETTER. THE REVIEWS ARE GREAT FROM A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE SO I HAVE INCREASED MY RATING, AS THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS FAST AND HELPFUL.
on October 13, 2013
Update on Dec. 18, 2013:
I am increasing my rating from two to three stars, in light of the fact that Anker has demonstrated excellent customer service. They contacted me today to say the following and to offer me a partial refund or a return for a complete refund:
"please kindly noted that a 6-cell 4400mAh battery (the one you bought is 4200mAh) of a standard volume is designed to drive the computer for about 2 hours. The actual operation time depends on how much electricity is required by the device. The screen size, hard disk and other accessories may consume extra electricity and shorten the operation time."
I am still somewhat disappointed in this replacement battery since the original battery life of my machine was 3-4 hours when I bought it. Since I bought my computer, I have moved to a hard drive that has lower energy consumption and upgraded to an operating system which is supposed to use less energy than what I had before, so if anything I was expecting even better battery life...

Update on Dec. 7, 2013:
Despite receiving a replacement battery from Anker (they have very proactive customer service), I am more or less back to square one with a battery life of only ~2 hours max with a cycle count of only 14 (with the screen brightness on the lowest setting, reading on the internet, only Firefox and Word open). This battery is also more unpredictable in its discharge behavior during the last 15-20% of discharge. With the OEM battery, I could sleep or hibernate the computer with 5% battery left and it would keep the computer's state in memory for days. Now those last 5% aren't sufficient, and when I try to wake up the computer from hibernation it sometimes just has to re-start from scratch. It is disappointing to see that I could not get a significant improvement by moving from the original OEM battery (which had a cycle count of ~1000) to a brand new replacement battery by Anker. YMMV.

Update on Nov. 2, 2013:
Anker reached out to me not long after reading my initial negative review on Amazon. They quickly mailed me a replacement battery, which seems to be working a bit better for me so far. They have excellent customer service! Time will tell if the new battery makes a difference. It's quite possible that my first was a dud.

ORIGINAL REVIEW (Oct. 13, 2013):
I bought this to replace my factory-original laptop battery, which had a charge cycle count of nearly 1000 and had decreased from its initial 3-4 hour life to a dismal 30-45 minutes. This brand new battery at first offered an immediate improvement back to a 3.5-hour battery life for my Macbook, but after about 20 charge cycles it started to lose some of its longevity. I am now at 30 charge cycles, and I can only run 1.5 to 2 hours if I am lucky. YMMV.
on July 24, 2013
After having an "off-brand" battery recently kill a Toshiba laptop of mine (not from Anker) and reading many reviews about non-Apple brand replacement products for Macs being vastly inferior, I was a teensy bit skeptical about getting this. I was however rewarded with a well-made battery that holds a nice long OEM-worthy charge for half the price of Apple's.

I will follow up this review in a year or so when the battery has had a chance to prove its mettle over a longer term.

For now I say buy with confidence.
on March 2, 2014
Battery worked well for a few months - I bought it in September 2013 and by Christmas it was already dying quickly, not lasting even an hr. I can only use my laptop if Im near a power source, which isn't working well for me.

Edited 3/13/14: Shortly after writing this review I was contacted by Anker and offered a replacement battery. It shipped fast and was at my door within a few days. The new battery seems to be working well. I have to say, they have excellent customer service.
on May 14, 2013
Anker gave me this product in exchange for my honest feedback, so I'll do my best to write an accurate, unbiased review. The fit and finish on this battery are superb, and nearly identical to the OEM battery from Apple. The only discernible differences are that the pull tab is clear opaque plastic while Apple's is shiny clear and the (tri-wing)screw heads are slightly larger(and by slightly, I mean a very slightly, on the order of .5mm). Other than that, and the logos, everything else is the same. I didn't measure the weight on a scale, and by hand they feel exactly the same weight. If anything, the Anker battery feels a gram or two lighter, but that may be just my imagination. The locking tabs and the battery connector look to be the same on both, and it seems as if Anker is using the same supplier for the external case that Apple does.

Using Battery Health by FIPLAB Ltd, it showed that my original battery had gone through 61 full battery cycles, was 4.2 years old and currently can only be charged to a maximum of 3275 mAh, with the original max being 4100 mAh. The Anker battery on the other hand shows a current max of 4300 mAh while the original was 4200 mAh. I don't know how Battery Health calculates current and original capacity of batteries, but it was very accurate in figuring out the age of the battery, as I had a battery replaced in my Macbook Pro over two years ago and the age is listed at 2.2 years. I didn't do any rundown tests, but it seems that the battery seems to hold its charge well, and doesn't run down quickly. I also did not crack open the battery to see what brand of cells Anker uses - I'll leave that for another reviewer to do.

The Anker battery installs on this model easily, due to the fact that this Macbook model still has a user serviceable door to change batteries and hard drives. The Anker battery came charged at 70% out of the box.

Ideally, this product is for people that need a replacement battery for their Macbook, or anyone that needs the additional runtime of another battery.

For the most part, to me a battery is just something that holds a charge so that you can use a device without it being plugged into a power outlet. That being said, this product is well constructed, and it is obvious that Anker is going after Apple's own battery with this product as the fit and finish are the same while at a pricepoint considerably less than the Apple product. Anker is also concerned about customer relations, and monitors reviews of their products to insure customer satisfaction.

Overall, this is a very well made, high quality product. I can honestly recommend it to anyone with a Macbook that it will fit. Bravo Anker!
on June 30, 2013
The original battery had finally lost all useful life so we tried this one as a replacement. It fit and has worked perfectly for two months now with no signs of any issues at all.
on March 9, 2014
Initially I was pretty pleased with this purchase. It's considerably cheaper than an Apple replacement battery and seemed to be of the same quality. It worked comparably for several months but after about 5 months of use, I noticed that the charge didn't seem to be holding as long. Now, after about 6 months, the fully-charged battery only seems to hold a charge for about an hour before it's dead and I have to plug my laptop back in. (I have a late 2008 model MacBook 5,1, 13 inch, aluminum body.) As it's holding a charge for less and less time, I'm now looking at having to replace it less than a year after purchase. I might have saved some money at the time, but in the long run, it's going to end up costing me more. I should have just bought an Apple replacement battery to begin with. Lesson learned.

****Update****
Anker takes these reviews seriously! They saw mine and emailed me about the problem and immediately sent me a replacement, free of charge, along with a shipping label to send the faulty one back! I can't say with any certainty whether this new battery is any better than the last yet, since the other seemed fine for several months and I've only used this new one a few weeks. Anker's customer service is top notch, though, and that counts for something, at least in my book, so I upgraded this a star.
on January 15, 2016
Trash

Updated Review:

The first battery that I got from this seller was defective out of the box and I simply tossed it away. This was about 2 years ago, but I had never written a review for it. I was going through my purchases and reviewing my past purchases, including this one, where I simply wrote a 1 word review about it.

The battery's warranty is of 18 months and it was past the 18 month warranty period, but they contacted me after I posted my review and they were very nice and asked if I still liked on my past known address. I gave them my information and they promptly sent me a new battery free of charge, which arrived within 2 days after they informed me that it had been sent. It came well packaged and in pristine state and worked off the bat, unlike the first one I received.

This second battery works perfectly and it powers my old MacBook for about 2.5 hours on average and up to 4 hours just using Chrome to browse around. The battery charges quickly and works perfectly. It does not heat up like my old battery and it fits perfectly, without the annoying bloating that my old battery had.

I HIGHLY advice buying this battery, because the seller definitely stands behind its product and the warranty is amazing. You will get what you paid for, even if it takes a while. Wish I had reviewed it earlier or contacted the seller, instead of tossing it away.